• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So many different types of hay O_o

Thunders_Mum

Mama Doe
I`ve had my bun around a month now and she is coming up to 12 weeks. She is a fantastic hay eater, however I feel a bit bad as I get the packaged hay from poundstrecher as its at my local centre and cheap. She eats alot of it though and her poops are fine (the hay is also very stalky) but I`ve read that so many people give different types of hay. I`ve just ordered the sample pack from hay for pets, but wanted some recommendations for other types of hay. Are the hays with dandelion and stuff ok for a young bun to eat, as I haven`t introduced veg or anything yet. Shes on a diet of excel junior nuggets and hay.

It sound slike you are doing everything right. Yes the hays with dandelions in are ok just introduce them gradually, like any food. You can buy nice expensive hays and they do smell good.

Mine get a bale of meadow hay from a farm every two weeks and are happy with that and it inly costs £5, it would cost a fortune to keep them on fancy hay but with one you can probably afford to spoil her a bit more ;)

Why not try another sample pack, see what she likes :) https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%2526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Sample+Pack.23/

Personally, I buy Hay for Pets Timothy and Rye, Ings and Soft Meadow (although I'm stopping buying the Ings as they dont like it as much as the others), Burns Green Oat Hay and Readigrass. I also get Pets at Home Timothy with apple and carrot, and mix this into herbs and readigrass for them to eat. Its the only P@H own brand hay that is any good IMO.

There are a lot! Like webble I get meadow hay in a bale and then on occasion I treat them to some oat, wheat and barley hay from The Hay Experts (it's by a compay called Alfalfa King, doesn't contain alfalfa though which is good cos alfalfa gives Mini excess sticky poops) or the one by Burns. Mine don't show much interest in Timothy hay, they prefer the oaty hays.

I also buy a bale from a local farm, which only costs £5 and my bunnies love it! They get through so much hay! Recently my neighbours have bought two bunnies so now we share a bale :)

Dont get me started about hay! :lol: Your bun seems content with her current hay so I wouldnt worry about her not liking Hay4pets samples!

Have fun discovering her favourite! :wave:

I wouldn't worry too much. Just see how you fair with the sample pack and take it form there. It took me over a year to figure out Pie loved Meadow Hay the best (after she insisted on changing her mind about a dozen times!) :lol:

Back