• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So few replies on Rabbit Health any more. Why?

I know, but I just don't want to feel 'involved' with the passing of a rabbit again. It's really put me off going near the health section, unless it's to offer vibes. :(

I can understand that :cry:

I never have too much to add, as I have onky had my bunnies for two years, and am learning as I go along

I know, but I just don't want to feel 'involved' with the passing of a rabbit again. It's really put me off going near the health section, unless it's to offer vibes. :(

That's hard :cry::cry::cry: There's times I feel guilty when there seemed nothing much wrong with the bunny and I haven't sent vibes or not taken it very seriously and then the OP posted that the bunny has passed away :cry::cry: I feel so darn guilty then and that's not even involving giving advice.

I think it's a real shame that some very experienced people are feeling belittled by others to the point that they no longer offer advice as they are deemed not qualified to. University of Life is good enough for me.

That's hard :cry::cry::cry: There's times I feel guilty when there seemed nothing much wrong with the bunny and I haven't sent vibes or not taken it very seriously and then the OP posted that the bunny has passed away :cry::cry: I feel so darn guilty then and that's not even involving giving advice.

I think it's a real shame that some very experienced people are feeling belittled by others to the point that they no longer offer advice as they are deemed not qualified to. University of Life is good enough for me.

Me too, i would never have got Bobby a friend, fed her hay, or gave her run of the house if it wasn't for RU, she would still eating that awful mix

I am not sure whether what I have to add is anything new but, having posted both asking advice on a variety of rabbit health issues AND to give advice (sometimes on the same issues:lol::lol::lol:) these are my feelings:

It is great to get comments and advice which one can then explore further, take action on, or take to your vet to discuss etc.

Of course sometimes one will be slanted towards accepting advice more from certain RU members who have either been through the same experience or have general medical knowledge in rabbits (or sometimes in humans!)

I have found these invaluable with everything from blockage to abscess to kidney removal to Ec to etc etc etc EVEN when one already thinks one knows everything there is to know :shock: it is always great to get a different viewpoint or perhaps get news of what another person's vet has tried.

Or just re-assurance - Jacks Jane has once reminded me of things I told other people when I have asked her for advice on the same topic:oops::oops:! When in a panic with a bun one tends to forget everything one knows!!

In terms of GIVING advice - I too do this less often at the moment - partly due to other pressures (right now I should be writing a book review and an article! both for work!) but also because many of the 'simpler' things have already been covered so often.
When someone posted about kidney removal I posted back as that is slightly unusual and I have experience (in rabbits). Ditto with abscess at present, and certainly if Myxi comes up (though any advice there always results in a fight for some reason . . sigh).

There was a move once to post symptoms/poss treatments in a permanent area of the forum - but again when in a panic people just post! and I understand that totally.

I understand that answering the same question multiple times can be boring but we get new people all the time so there are plenty of people that haven't read the same thing for years.

Whilst the search function is useful. However, if people just wanted to read an article there are plenty of them on all sorts of aspects of rabbit health & care. People generally come to a forum instead because the want to ask a question and have a slightly more interactive answer. That's what forums are communities, otherwise at some point there would be no more original questions and we might as well close to postings.

It's good to keep in mind your not just helping the OP either. About 40,000 rabbit related google searches end up on the forum each month looking for a whole variety of information. The slightly different phrasing from one post to the next might be what catches that one or a hundred extra searchers and helps their bunny.

I used to give advice on medical conditions I have experience of treating, but don't really bother any more because I was told by a member that I'm not qualified to voice my opinion because I don't have a medical degree. Nobody disagreed with her, so I presume they think the same.

I've seen Jane comment that that's happened to her

Tbh - I prefer to go to the vets with opinions of my own - usuallly from RU - If you or Jane told me something & my vet straight out said "no" which they never have, I would ask to change vet:lol:

Bar one guy at my vets - they are all willing to listen & give positives & negatives about anything I suggest:D

I am far more wary about giving "advice" than I used to be and TBH I'm not "qualified" to advise anyway. I will continue to give my thoughts on certain issues but again, I often choose to say nothing because my honest opinion wouldn't go down well :roll: even if (IMO) it clearly provides the answer!

I've seen Jane comment that that's happened to her

Tbh - I prefer to go to the vets with opinions of my own - usuallly from RU - If you or Jane told me something & my vet straight out said "no" which they never have, I would ask to change vet:lol:

Bar one guy at my vets - they are all willing to listen & give positives & negatives about anything I suggest:D

This is my view too. I would rather go armed with info and questions then just wait and be told by my vet. My current vet is excellent but in the past I've been burnt by ignorant vets and can't shake that experience. I never want to lose rabbits to vet ignorance again, and part of the way I can protect against that is to educate myself as much as possible, from other knowledgable people and places and make sure I understand what's going on.

Its been very useful. On another forum they suggested the use of Convenia which I suggested to my vet, he assessed the request and agreed to try it and without that Tilly would never have gotten over her head tilt, nor would Rosie, and all the other bunnies my vets now use it on.

Someone not being qualified doesn't mean they don't know as much. Someone being qualified doesn't mean they know more than someone not being qualified.

This is my view too. I would rather go armed with info and questions then just wait and be told by my vet. My current vet is excellent but in the past I've been burnt by ignorant vets and can't shake that experience. I never want to lose rabbits to vet ignorance again, and part of the way I can protect against that is to educate myself as much as possible, from other knowledgable people and places and make sure I understand what's going on.

Its been very useful. On another forum they suggested the use of Convenia which I suggested to my vet, he assessed the request and agreed to try it and without that Tilly would never have gotten over her head tilt, nor would Rosie, and all the other bunnies my vets now use it on.

Someone not being qualified doesn't mean they don't know as much. Someone being qualified doesn't mean they know more than someone not being qualified.

Now that I like :thumb:

I totally agree. Santa gave me some really useful info on Piriton which I approcahed my vet with, he'd never tried it but because I asked he went and found out. It really helped Bluebell last summer.

I've also had some excellent advise on nebulising etc which I swear has kept him alive this last few months, again something my vet was happy to try but has no previous experience of.

I understand that answering the same question multiple times can be boring but we get new people all the time so there are plenty of people that haven't read the same thing for years.

Whilst the search function is useful. However, if people just wanted to read an article there are plenty of them on all sorts of aspects of rabbit health & care. People generally come to a forum instead because the want to ask a question and have a slightly more interactive answer. That's what forums are communities, otherwise at some point there would be no more original questions and we might as well close to postings.

It's good to keep in mind your not just helping the OP either. About 40,000 rabbit related google searches end up on the forum each month looking for a whole variety of information. The slightly different phrasing from one post to the next might be what catches that one or a hundred extra searchers and helps their bunny.

I know that's how I feel about the forum. I did try searches when i feirst joined, as I was too shy to post (believe it or not)

It actually feels like you have someone on-side when you need support, if you make a thread of your own.

I usually post a thread and do a search, and I may even link historical threads.

I completely agree with that. Although people may be asking a FAQ, they may be looking for support as well as advice. They don't get that just by reading old posts.

A little while ago I asked for vet advice in my area, and got quite a few good responses. When I posted that I'd taken the advice and booked myself an appointment with him, I said "wish me luck!" at the end, and got no more responses :( It can be upsetting when you see other threads that are full of "vibes" for well known members and their bunnies, and you get nothing...

I don't think Molly would still be alive it wasn't for RU. It was after reading suggestions on here that I stopped syringe feeding and asked my vet for an X-ray, then for an opiate pain-killer and then for metaclop. He was led by me and although he did become defensive at one point, that was more about him as when he checked what I said (in FHB's book), it was correct - and I only said what I did because of RU.

I am probably going to look around for a new vet as I don't think mine is as bunny savvy as I had hoped:(

I really value the advice and suggestions on here - particularly from Jane - as many vets have never owned a bunny - they have read their information in books. They don't understand about 'bunniness' and the way a bun looks when s/he wants to fight or wants to give up. You can't learn that from a book.

I would never go to my vet and say 'You ought to ........' but 'I have heard that ....... can have good results. What do you think?........' I do respect the long training they have had and their experience - but no-one,not even the most qualified vet, knows everything and any additional information I can gain is really appreciated.

RU has proved invaluable for me and my fur family.

I :love: you all:oops:

Back