• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles

Cheryl I totally agree with your above information on Pasturella, it is infectious as you correctly say, but only when it is really active in a bunny, as it has times when it can lay fairly dormant. :D

I think you have explained the situation very well, and I could not have said it better myself.
I would have tried though If I was not so busy here rushing around getting 36 rabbits ready for their vaccinations. I do not know who is more nervous at the thought of the needle, me or the rabbits!!....never mind, we always have a cup of tea and biscuits after the Vet has done his Sanctuary rounds, so that should calm me down a little, or the Vet can give me a shot of something else.
:lol: :lol:

Hiya,

Caesar was MEGA healthy and he caught "a cold" from Cleo after I bonded Cleo & Charlie with Holly and Caesar. It is defo contageous. I just hope that it is a good sign that they have all sneezed half as much after 2 days on Baytril. I am secretly hoping it's not too serious.

:(

Dorothy said:
Good luck with the bunnies and keep us posted as to how they are.
Hope Charlie is ok. Sometimes bunnies get fatty lumps. But yes they can get tumours, often they are benign. Let us know what the vet finds.
Good luck.

All are back from the vet and we go again on Monday.

Charlie was spayed yesterday and her lumps were removed. They were fibrous tissue right in the spot where she got her myxi jab. She has a couple of stiches on her back and also on her tum from the spay. I am trying to leave her alone and rest with her pals. She has other ideas. She has already eaten a bowl of food and a handful of spinach. I can tell she wants to go out and play. Maybe in a few more days. The Bayrtil has really helped her. I haven't heard her sneeze for 2 days and her nose is as dry as I've ever seen it.

Cleo was not spayed yesterday! That is because she is a he without the bits :shock:
You could have knocked me over with a feather. We are going to wait for another month to see if any testicles drop. If not the vet will go in and see if there are any in the abdomen that can be removed. I am just glad Charlie didn't get pregnant. What a nightmare. I must say that it explains a lot behaviour wise. I just thought I had a weird one for a while but now all has become clear :lol: Again the Baytril seems to have worked a treat for her/him.

Caesars sneezing is still pretty bad. I wonder if I can use something like Vicks Vapor rub near him or on him to make his breathing easier. He sounds very stuffed up but doesn't have the runny nose. Hopefully I'll know more on Monday.

You could put a couple of drops of Olbas oil on a swab in front of the hutch or something.

Or steam bath by putting rabbit in a wire basket & postioning in front of a steaming bowl with few drops Olbas oil in it, then cover both the rabbit basket & bowl with a large towel so that the rabbit can breathe the fumes.

Thinking positively...

As my buns have responded brilliantly to Baytril (3 days), could it be possible that this is not as serious as Pasturella? Maybe a bunny cold?
I am not that clued up on illness as this is my first one.
I am hoping that maybe it's not so terribly serious after all, or wishfull thinking?

it could just hopefully be a cold but cheeky who has had pasturella for 5 years is now on baytril for the rest of his life , he,s been on it , off it , on it , off it and so on , he has got better but then only got ill again when the baytril was stopped . He has now been on the baytril for 4 weeks now and is only getting 0.5 ml a day but fingers , toes and everything else crossed , he is doing brilliantly . it seems to be doing the job .
its hard to say if your rabbits have pasturella until either they come off the baytril and get ill again or the vets takes a swab from their noses and checks the culture. Cheeky had this done and it came back as pasturella , but hey , chin up , Cheekybun has had it 5 years and he,s still here , i,ve treble checked with my vet and the edinburgh small animal hospital that he is not suffering as I would not have him go through that .
as long as you keep an eye on them , they eat well , and most importantly have you then they will hopefully just live with it like cheeky does and be none the worse for it . it just takes a bit of nursing on your part which i,m sure you are great at .

gina .

gina paul said:
it could just hopefully be a cold but cheeky who has had pasturella for 5 years is now on baytril for the rest of his life , he,s been on it , off it , on it , off it and so on , he has got better but then only got ill again when the baytril was stopped . He has now been on the baytril for 4 weeks now and is only getting 0.5 ml a day but fingers , toes and everything else crossed , he is doing brilliantly . it seems to be doing the job .
its hard to say if your rabbits have pasturella until either they come off the baytril and get ill again or the vets takes a swab from their noses and checks the culture. Cheeky had this done and it came back as pasturella , but hey , chin up , Cheekybun has had it 5 years and he,s still here , i,ve treble checked with my vet and the edinburgh small animal hospital that he is not suffering as I would not have him go through that .
as long as you keep an eye on them , they eat well , and most importantly have you then they will hopefully just live with it like cheeky does and be none the worse for it . it just takes a bit of nursing on your part which i,m sure you are great at .

gina .

Didn't know about getting a swab to tell for sure. I'll do that this week. I prefer to know.

KR
Andrea

Hi hate to say this but there is very rarely such a thing as a bunny cold - as i said Baytril clears the symptoms lovely, BUT it is not actually getting rid of the problem itself.

Also Pasteurella swabs are often inaccurate, a negative result does not necessarily mean they are clear as what is swabbed from a distal site such as the nose does not necessarily give a true indication of what is in the rest of the respiratory tract. You can also get a false positive result as rabbits naturally harbour the Pasteurella bacteria in its harmless form.

Yes, it is all totally confusing stuff, but that is really how it is.

it is really really confusing . Cheeky has had the swab done twice and both came back postive but I understand what you are saying. As you may know already , Cheekys is defo pasturella , I wish his swab was wrong but I wouldn,t be as lucky as that .

The thing is, Pasteurella is so common, that more often than not, this is what it is. If your rabbit is sneezing/has been sneezing white or yellow gunk, then i would say its better to assume that it is this.

Back