• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles - please help!

Sandra

Warren Scout
Our rex girl Mysla started sneezing a bit a week ago but there was no nasal discharge. Five days ago there was a little white nasal discharge and I took her to the vet who prescribed her Baytril (0.2 ml per day) for five days. There was no more discharge until last night when she was pretty snotty and this is still the case. I got five more days of Baytril from the vet today. Mysla is eating and has no temperature and the vet said that the lungs sounded fine but she is pretty snotty - is there anything I can do for her? I can hear that it is bothering her:cry:

After 5 days of Baytril - should the snot have cleared up?

I think the snuffles is due to change is weather here in Jordan. It has been very hot and then all of a sudden the temperatures went up and down for a few days. Our buns are free-ranging indoor bunnies but they have access to the balcony in the evenings.

Thanks!

Sandra and the buns

Hi Sandra

Sorry to hear your bunny is unwell.

My Rex Hibby has been battling with a snotty nose since about march and we are now trying a different course of treatment.

With baytril we initially gave her a 5 day course then another day before finally putting her on baytril for over 6 weeks. Baytril did work for a while but the infection came back :cry: Now she is on a long acting antibiotic (every three days) and she will be on that for 3 weeks. It appears to be working, but all I can do at the moment is keep my fingers crossed.

With Baytril I know that very long courses can be given and that infections can be difficult to cure. Don't give up tho, perhaps ask for a swab to be taken so your vet can determine what the bacteria is sensitive too.

Every case is different so hopeful the Baytril will work, you may just need to carry it on for a little while

Hope that all made sense, hope your bunny feels better soon :) :) :) :)

Back