• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles - always an emergency?

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Odin has slighly runny eyes which are lasting longer than his normal allergy eyes (which clear up in a hour or two)and now has wet nostrils too. Is this emergency out of hours time, or can I afford to monitor closely and book him in on Monday? I am going to call the vets shortly but depending who is on I'd rather know what I want/what is needed before I speak to them so that I can push for meds if it is more urgent than it looks.
Still eating well, pooing fine, very bright and alert in himself, been bombing round the garden this morning and was tucked up asleep in his usual place until I took him some cow parsley just now.

Is he normally outside? I would monitor him now and if no better tomorrow speak to your Vet. Snuffles needs to be treated fairly urgently as it can get worse and more difficult to get rid of. If he is an indoor Rabbit he shouldn't be allowed out in this cold weather as change of temperature can cause this sort of thing.

Is he normally outside? I would monitor him now and if no better tomorrow speak to your Vet. Snuffles needs to be treated fairly urgently as it can get worse and more difficult to get rid of. If he is an indoor Rabbit he shouldn't be allowed out in this cold weather as change of temperature can cause this sort of thing.

Yes he's always outside, has access to a lined/insulated summerhouse at all times but they generally sleep outside during the day by choice, unless they have got wet in the rain then they choose to go indoors to dry off. It's been nice and sunny and dry today, albeit cold, but it's been cold for weeks here so that's not a shock - it's warmer than it has been.
I'd prefer to avoid emergency vets if I can so that I can choose who he sees as I can't go in with him, that's all. Keeping a very close eye on him every hour or so at least, and I might shut them in earlier tonight if he's still sleeping outside, to try and avoid the evening damp. My biggest misgiving is that he is in the middle of moulting so his coat is not what it should be in terms of warmth. Breathing is still fine at the moment.

Is his respiratory rate and effort normal ? Is the ocular/ nasal discharge clear or white ?

Yes, rate and effort are normal. Discharge is clear. Very very very slight sound to his breathing if you listen closely.
He had one mucky eye 2 days ago with a tiny bit of white but he tends to get that if he's been ratching in the hay or finding dust, usually clears within an hour or two. All clear yesterday.
Today eyes are both bright but damp.
It was more his nose that alerted me to this being more, I've never seen him with wet nostrils.

Yes, rate and effort are normal. Discharge is clear. Very very very slight sound to his breathing if you listen closely.
He had one mucky eye 2 days ago with a tiny bit of white but he tends to get that if he's been ratching in the hay or finding dust, usually clears within an hour or two. All clear yesterday.
Today eyes are both bright but damp.
It was more his nose that alerted me to this being more, I've never seen him with wet nostrils.

It could all be allergy related, you mention he is allergy prone. I’d see how he goes overnight. I expect that is what the Vet will suggest x

It could all be allergy related, you mention he is allergy prone. I’d see how he goes overnight. I expect that is what the Vet will suggest x

I rang and had a chat, decided to get him seen (as much because I could go in with him as there would be no nurse to restrain him unlike normal hours), went to put them in their carriers and he had done his usual miraculous recovery. So I decided to cancel for now and monitor very closely, and he's booked in for Monday evening to get an MOT and look at what's really going on. Whilst it does seem to be mostly allergy related, I kind of wonder if his teeth are as good as they should be, for no reason other than he tends to close his eyes when he's eating.
Anyway, we've locked them in early so he doesn't risk getting damp or cold while he sleeps, not that they are at all impressed with that idea!!

Given him some thyme and mint and dandelions for whatever benefit they might offer him.

Can you use antihistamines for allergy buns? Curiosity question, I'm not giving him anything without vet approval.

And would you expect his coat to be dulled if he was actually ill ie snuffles? Other than the moulting patches his coat is beautiful and shiny and smooth. He's really really bright and happy in himself.

Thanks for bouncing ideas with me though, it helps me a lot to talk things over otherwise they all get stuck in my head and it explodes!

Back