• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small scabs

lionlopdad

New Kit
Hi everybody! Hope you're all well. It's been a while since I've been on here but for positive reasons as we've had no issues since the last time I was on here all in a worry! There has been a small development in the last week but even the worst case scenario that I can find with Dr. Rabbit-Google isn't anything to panic about. As some of you may have seen we had an ordeal a couple of months ago with one of our bunnies dying during neutering and the doe he was bonded with having some issues during her recovery. Well, since then we have adopted a new buck for her to be friends with and after his neutering went very well (he was back to normal within a day!) and we waited the recommended time, we began to introduce them and bonding has gone well. There have been scuffles, particularly at first, but now they're spending full days and nights together and there's lots of positive behaviour like grooming, sleeping next to eachother and sharing food.

In the last week or so, I've noticed small scabs on Madison, she has one on the inside of her ear, one on the outside, one on the nape of her neck and one on her abdomen, all on the same side of her body. My first thought was that it could be mites or similar, but my experience and reading tell me that mites are usually accompanied by other symptoms (extra scratching/over-grooming, head shaking, bald spots in the areas and discomfort) so I'm having second thoughts. She and Hudson, our new buck (we tend to go for New York themed names!), have had one or too short scuffles in the last few days -I separated them for two nights in a row after it happened in the evenings, just to be safe- and I thought maybe rather than mites, these little scabs on Madison are from nips Hudson has given her? Madison can be much more of a princess about grooming, she loves to be groomed by her partner but reciprocates far less often! This could have invited a couple of nips from Hudson? I'm hoping somebody here has seen similar before, I tried to take some pictures but she's not been staying still while I've been parting her fur for long enough and I can't get a non-blurry one! The scabby things are causing no hair loss, they're just sort of "in there" under her normal fur and they're not bleeding at all, just little marks that are at varying stages of scab-crustiness.

Apologies for such a long post, I like to give as much detail and context as possible! :lol:

Without being able to see the ‘scabs’ it’s impossible to say for certain what they are. From the information you have provided bite wounds sound to be more likely than mites

I assume both Rabbits are neutered/spayed ?

Are they fully bonded now ?

Hi, just to confirm yeah they're both neutered/spayed. Madison's was at the end of April and Hudson's was in June. I don't know if they're "fully" bonded so to speak, but they are living together and completely sharing space and there's lots of positive behaviour that shows that bonding is at least well underway. I've managed to take a couple of photos but I can't figure out how to upload them. The option on my screen wants an internet URL rather than an upload from my computer.

I think you can upload from a phone using Tapatalk or Imgur is another way. There is a tutorial in How to Use the Forum.

Back