• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

silver insulation rolls

tickles

Mama Doe
We have bought some rolls of silver (like baco foli ) insultion and i want to use in on the outside hutches now winter is coming but silly question if its stapled onto hutch on outside will it get ruined without been covered or is it waterproof.I do have clear tarpalin to go over most of it but its not all going to be covered x

I think you will need to put some strong waterproofing or a hutch cover over it, then it should be ok as it's made of similar (if not the same) material as the Scratch and Newton hutch huggers. :)

I use the same to staple onto the outside of my hutches, and its waterproof-ish, but I cover mine with a tarp too.

provided you staple cleverly i.e. not on the top and carefully folded and stapled round the sides i dont see a prob, i used to use bubble wrap and opened up compost bags for my hutch

it should be fine but for winter months id add an extra cover anyway

i got 2 for 1 last year at B&Q, it was £20 for 2 rolls. I didn't get chance to use mine last year as buns came indoors but i will be putting it on soon. I stuck mine with aluminum tape but it was a bit rubbish and kept ripping (the tape did not the roll) so i will try duck tape this time round :) i will probably put a tarpaulin over it too.

B and Q are doing it cheap - I got some at the weekend.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1287069030254&isSearch=true

Don't get their gaffer tape though - it's a rip off at 5.98 a roll. I bought some, then we went into B and M (cheap tat shop) over the road and I saw some that was just 1 pound. I went back and got the tape refunded!!

I tried taping mine on the inside (as I thought it would reflect more heat) but they chewed and scratched it.

It's still on the ceiling though and the rest is just wrapped round the back and sides......

Is this foil essential to keep the hutches warm? i can imagine putting it in a shed...but as my hutch covers are really tight I dont think it would be easy to put under neath.

What is the "general layers" that everyone uses on hutches to keep them warm for winter but still breathable?
And on runs?

Ive currently just got a hutch with a green fabric canvas cover with clear PVC window areas that all zips closed...but there is still drafty areas Im sure....:?

Last edited:
Also - snuggle safe microwavable heat pads at Vet UK work out at 25.02 for 2 delivered at the moment if you use discount code nbab10 for 10% off. Its free delivery over 19 pounds.

Back