• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick, Sick ******* Sick of it !!

Erm.... Speaking as a Zoologist ;) Ants and Rabbits are both animals.. Ants are insects, rabbits mammals and so on...
Helen xx

Confused.com :lol: ants are insects and rabbits are mammals both are animals? I'm no zoologist but, I thought that insects were different to mammals in terms of how they would be as pets, are you saying you can bond with an ant?

Confused.com :lol: ants are insects and rabbits are mammals both are animals? I'm no zoologist but, I thought that insects were different to mammals in terms of how they would be as pets, are you saying you can bond with an ant?

Why not? People keep all kinds of insects/reptiles etc and they must form some sort of bond with them - not necessarily one that's reciprocated by the insect of course as most couldn't give a fig about us hoomins. :lol:

Why not? People keep all kinds of insects/reptiles etc and they must form some sort of bond with them - not necessarily one that's reciprocated by the insect of course as most couldn't give a fig about us hoomins. :lol:

my rabbit is like that, he hates us... do you think hes an insect in rabbits fur really :?

oh my i need sleep, i have seriously slipped into insanity :lol::lol::lol:

Yes they probably are different as pets. But I think I could get just attached to them as I could with any other animals. Yes they're both animals. Its just how things are ranked taxanomically...
So for a Rabbit they are
Kingdom: Animalia

Superphylum: Chordata

Phylum: Vertebrata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Lagomorpha

Family: Leporidae

And Ants are

Phylum: Arthropoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Hymenoptera

Suborder: Apocrita

Superfamily: Vespoidea

Family: Formicidae

Plus of course there is a Genus and species which is absent as I haven't assigned particular species in my example. Hope it helps you understand.
Helen xx

my rabbit is like that, he hates us... do you think hes an insect in rabbits fur really :?

oh my i need sleep, i have seriously slipped into insanity :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: You may be on to something Donna. Alvin's really an ant trapped in the wrong body. :lol:

Yes they probably are different as pets. But I think I could get just attached to them as I could with any other animals. Yes they're both animals. Its just how things are ranked taxanomically...
So for a Rabbit they are

Superphylum: Chordata

Phylum: Vertebrata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Lagomorpha

Family: Leporidae

And Ants are

Phylum: Arthropoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Hymenoptera

Suborder: Apocrita

Superfamily: Vespoidea

Family: Formicidae

Plus of course there is a Genus and species which is absent as I haven't assigned particular species in my example. Hope it helps you understand.
Helen xx

Yes thanks for that, really fascinating :D, I still think ants should be left in the wild :p :lol: Having said that if someone did have ant farm and was clearly attached to their ants I think I would probably respect that, although I find it a bit hard to comprehend I wouldn't make them feel bad or disrespect their views. Leaving this one now as it is getting a bit weird for me :D

Back