• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick, Sick ******* Sick of it !!

ive never really noticed this attitude apart from what is posted on this forum tbh. my vets treat my animals with equal respect to my other animals, people i know never say anything about my animals in a horrible way. infact only the other day my boss asked me how my patients were...i personnally seem to come accross either animal lovers who would never dream put other types of animal over a rabbit or people indifferent to animals so dont really care about any animal not just rabbits. and i cant really get offended by people saying about eating rabbits because ive often threatened alvin with the pot :oops::oops: and ive got one big enough too :shock:

my brother is the only exception but thats cus hes a terrible windup and not a fan of animals anyway, but if he didnt like my bunnies he wouldnt bring his little girl to meet them or send them his first attempt at organic homegrown carrots (that were tiny).

each to thier own. i am happy to admit i love my rabbits more than any other species i have taken into my home, including dogs and cats :love:

I think sometimes at the vets the vet or the nurses aren't as interested in the rabbits but, in terms of fussing them and stroking while your in the waiting room I can kind of understand that, they are a little stressed anyway and I know mine wouldn't be bothered or appreciate a stranger stroking them at that point, they are however entitled to as much care and respect from the vet and nurse while they are being examined or treated. Frankly if I felt they were being rated lower on an importance scale I would be really annoyed from my own point of view as their owner. I am paying probably as much as anyone with a cat and whether that animal/species is important to them is irrelevant they are providing me a service and should respect the fact I value my pets care regardless of the species. I have always had dogs and I have to say to give one animal a 'higher' level of importance over another is totally wrong, rabbits are highly intelligent loving and rewarding pets as are dogs, they may be slightly more independant than dogs and in other ways they do differ but, they deserve a lot more recognition as a lovely, interactive pet.

I think they are given a lower status though sadly as many people aren't actually aware of the bond that can happen and how intelligent they actually can be. Also there is still a legacy from the war which classes them as 'meat' and until that changes or the chinese come over and start breeding cats and dogs in the back gardens for meat, rabbits are inevitably going to be given a lower status. I thought it would be a generational thing but, having seen younger people adopt this attitude I am not so sure now, maybe it's upbringing and lack of education/experience with having them as pets?

I live in hope that one day as more and more people realise how fantastic they are as pets things might change, till then, I am ready and willing to enlighten people and woe betide anyone who implies I am 'stupid' for affording my animals respect and looking after them responsibly :D

I get this at work a lot - mention my dog, that's fine, mention the bunnies and that's it........ for example, Dumps was ill yesterday, cost me £40 - response "i'd have made a stew with him"
Someone comes in wearing a furry hat - response from staff "thought he had skinned one of claires bunnies to make that hat.
I don't mention them now really except to one of the staff who loves bunnies, make me sick the lot of them :evil::censored::censored:

I think a lot of people still class rabbits as an animal that can just be shoved in a 3ft hutch and fed/watered/cleaned out whenever they can be bothered.

Surely in this day and age, people are more aware of the needs of animals :?

To my mind, rabbits need the same amount of space as a cat. In fact my cats have all been less active than the rabbits but who would think it acceptable to keep a cat in a 3ft hutch for the whole of its life?

Until people wake up to the fact that rabbits needs are at least equal to other animals needs then nothing is going to change :(

I feel sorry for my mate at work who has an ant farm. Nobody every likes his pictures or cares about them in the same way as they do about my buns.

I feel sorry for my mate at work who has an ant farm. Nobody every likes his pictures or cares about them in the same way as they do about my buns.

Awww that's so sweet!!!
I do think it's very different though to rabbits.
Ants can't possibly show you any affection..... :shock:

Awww that's so sweet!!!

isnt that the same view dog people have about rabbits and the whole point of this thread :p

id love to see an ant farm...:love::love:

Awww that's so sweet!!!

Maybe the way they swarm and run over you is affection? (I'm terrified of ants by the way, lol).

I haven't experienced this with rabbits to be honest, although some people think I'm silly for what I do. The worst person was the previous vets I used to use (the ones responsible for or who contributed to the deaths of 4 of mine over a 15 month period). She saw them as a lump of meat. Apparently she is better now though because I know someone who volunteers with her and is teaching her about bunnies.

Its sad people see them as inferior. As long as those people have no rabbits, then only those that missout are the people, and not the animals.

:lol:
I'm not laughing at him because I have some snail that are sooo amazing, I'm fond of them but they no way show me any affection!

isnt that the same view dog people have about rabbits and the whole point of this thread :p

id love to see an ant farm...:love::love:

Erm ............ I'm most definitely a 'dog' person but I love my bunnies equally - I'm the person who recently spent £1500 getting Parsnip's broken leg fixed. Any animal who crosses my threshold gets treated equally - I love them all. I think anyone who owns a dog (or cat) but who sees rabbits and other small furries as a lesser pet isn't a true animal lover. Anyone who truely and deeply cares for animals can appreciate the way other people feel about their chosen species, despite not particularly wanting to own one them themselves.

Erm ............ I'm most definitely a 'dog' person but I love my bunnies equally - I'm the person who recently spent £1500 getting Parsnip's broken leg fixed. Any animal who crosses my threshold gets treated equally - I love them all. I think anyone who owns a dog (or cat) but who sees rabbits and other small furries as a lesser pet isn't a true animal lover. Anyone who truely and deeply cares for animals can appreciate the way other people feel about their chosen species, despite not particularly wanting to own one them themselves.

ive already posted i havent come across anyone who is an animal lover that dont like bunnies, i was making a point to the shock at someone keeping an ant farm. its the exact same reaction people who dont keep rabbits have to rabbits according to the posts on this thread... my mistake putting dog person i guess i should of put... people used as examples in this thread who only keep dogs and cats but it was easier to type dog person ;)

When we announced we were pregnant to my family, my mum asked what we were going to do with the rabbits and if we were going to put them to sleep or not...

Thats horrid, at the very least shouldn't people respect the fact that we care about our rabbits, and think before they speak :evil:

Just to add Ants are insects aren't they ? Rabbits are animals - I thought we were talking about animals not insects:?

ive already posted i havent come across anyone who is an animal lover that dont like bunnies, i was making a point to the shock at someone keeping an ant farm. its the exact same reaction people who dont keep rabbits have to rabbits according to the posts on this thread... my mistake putting dog person i guess i should of put... people used as examples in this thread who only keep dogs and cats but it was easier to type dog person ;)

I definitely see your point hun ;)

When we announced we were pregnant to my family, my mum asked what we were going to do with the rabbits and if we were going to put them to sleep or not...

I know that not only bunnies but also other pets are dumped for the same reason.:(
I know that it's horrible that rabbits are considered inferior to cats and dogs by some people, but what about all the farm animals?:( People don't just make jokes about stews...

I get this at work a lot - mention my dog, that's fine, mention the bunnies and that's it........ for example, Dumps was ill yesterday, cost me £40 - response "i'd have made a stew with him"
Someone comes in wearing a furry hat - response from staff "thought he had skinned one of claires bunnies to make that hat.
I don't mention them now really except to one of the staff who loves bunnies, make me sick the lot of them :evil::censored::censored:

Yeah we went out for dinner the other week, my depertment (we are teachers) and one girl said she'd done cover for someone who had to take her rabbit to the vet, and how upset this other woman was, and the whole table laughed and were like "it's only a rabbit, get another one" AND THEN went on to a conversation about how someone in the department's dog has got cancer, and everyone was sympathetic?! How is it different?!

Just to add Ants are insects aren't they ? Rabbits are animals - I thought we were talking about animals not insects:?

Erm.... Speaking as a Zoologist ;) Ants and Rabbits are both animals.. Ants are insects, rabbits mammals and so on...
Helen xx

Insects are animals. :p :lol:

I do see Donna's point though. She was talking about any creature that somebody keeps as a pet.

Back