• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shrubs that are non toxic?

Baby2017

New Kit
Hey, trying to tidy up the garden and remove any dangerous plants for our new bunster. Would like to replace them with other safe shrubs but nothing with an obvious weed look.

Any ideas?
I’ve read all evergreen types are out

It depends on what you have and the size of the garden, etc. Although bulbs, evergreens and ivy are not to be fed to rabbits, most wouldn't touch them anyway. You could also fence off certain areas or plants eg using 3' or 4' puppy pen panels - both to protect the rabbits from certain plants, and to protect the plants from being chewed to bits by rabbits.

It depends on what you have and the size of the garden, etc. Although bulbs, evergreens and ivy are not to be fed to rabbits, most wouldn't touch them anyway. You could also fence off certain areas or plants eg using 3' or 4' puppy pen panels - both to protect the rabbits from certain plants, and to protect the plants from being chewed to bits by rabbits.

Agreed. I have a tiny garden (former concrete yard made good with building flower beds & covering in bark). 90% + is bunny safe intentionally but theres a few things like various bulbs, sedums, shrubs they don't bother with at all). I would avoid Lilys, deadly nightshade etc. Shrubs they like to munch are slim pickings but geranium grows bush like & stays green, rosemary can work, hawthorn, fruit bushes. I also agree it depends on space & budget

Roses are a good choice and rabbits can eat them. Obviously make sure that anything, that rabbits can get access to, hasn't been sprayed with any chemicals. Rosemary is another rabbit friendly shrub, as is Buddleia, which although OK to feed to rabbits, appears not to be liked by some.

Back