• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Show

No, definatley not!

My rabbit henry is a pedigree Chocolate Silver fox and the family he came from showed all their rabbits but when he was born the got rid of him to a pet shop because he has ONE little white piece of fur out of pattern behind his ear and is therefore not 'show material'.

I dont usually buy rabbits from pet shops but it was closing for the easter break and i didnt want to leave him there over easter. He is the most silliest and tamest rabbits ever.

I totally disagree with the whole beauty pagaent idea, Its bad enough in adults when they have a choice, let alone Animals

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yes it was betley show.thumpers pen was quite big n he could stand up.wasnt in it long n there was a fan at the far end of the room.i didnt think it was that hot?x

I show mine!!!:D
and as for the mongral rabbits they can also be shown just so you know in the pet class they would be judged on cleaniness and friendliness.
i put ALOT of work in to keeping my rabbits clean and friendly and try to encourage the natrual position of mine when showing i will say clean feet go a heck of along way Duke has always had judges comment on how clean and white the bottom of his feet are:lol::lol:

My rabbits and everyone elses on here are not mongrels, I dispise that word.

I think you missed the point, everyone said they disagree and would never ever show their rabbits! It's wrong and unnaturel!!!:censored::censored:

My rabbits and everyone elses on here are not mongrels, I dispise that word.

I think you missed the point, everyone said they disagree and would never ever show their rabbits! It's wrong and unnaturel!!!:censored::censored:

it was me who used the word mongrel about Alvin...

I show my rabbits and have done for almost 15years. I enjoy it and believe it or not so do the rabbits, one of my boys in particular thrives on the attention and loves being in his pen seeing different people and on the table being stroked. I have retired him though as he didn't keep his feet clean enough so i had to clean them, and he found that really traumatic so it wasn't fair putting him through it. His father however kept himself spotless and loved being shown, as a result he did really well, most rabbits look a bit tired by the time they get to the challenge tables but this boy didn't, he looked energised, his coat felt in better condition - he really enjoyed being shown.

I did have one boy that hated being shown, as soon as you put him in a box all the weight dropped off his spine and his eyes watered - within 10 mins of being back in the hutch he'd be fine. I showed him the grand total of twice before I retired him and found him a pet home where he lives the life of reilly - I'd never show a rabbit if they truly didn't like it.

Anyone that wants to show rabbits with any level of success has to keep them in prime spotless conditions and feed them high quality feeds and ensure a high quality of life. All of my rabbits are all used to being handled and enjoy being picked up and cuddled and its easy to turn them over for regular healthchecks because they're used to it.

Compare that to some of the posts on here with people that are afraid to pick their rabbits up, or can't cut their rabbits nails, or find it a trauma to do daily bum checks in the summer - I don't have any of that hassle and I'm sure Raven doesn't either.

I've recently got a REW breeding doe, and my OH was helping me clean hutches at the weekend and I said ok go pop her in the run - he looked at me and said, are you sure, she'll get filthy! My response was they're rabbits first and show animals second. I would never deprive mine of their run time - it was great fun watching her frolic about in the mud she loved it!! :D

I'm sure rescues and the RSPCA see alot of cases of neglect, rabbits abandoned in hutches that are too small, not fed the correct diet and never handled. Surely exhibitors keeping them in good condition and taking them to show one day a week for a few hours is better than that??

Anyone that wants to show rabbits with any level of success has to keep them in prime spotless conditions and feed them high quality feeds and ensure a high quality of life. All of my rabbits are all used to being handled and enjoy being picked up and cuddled and its easy to turn them over for regular healthchecks because they're used to it.

You know as well as I do that this isn't necessarily true. Many breeds (especially does) can only be shown when very young, so long term care and good diet is often not an issue beyond the first few months of life.

All of my rabbits are easy to handle as well...this has NOTHING to do with showing.

I'm sure rescues and the RSPCA see alot of cases of neglect, rabbits abandoned in hutches that are too small, not fed the correct diet and never handled. Surely exhibitors keeping them in good condition and taking them to show one day a week for a few hours is better than that??

Walnutearth, your posts are usually sensible, but this is blatent pro-breeding/showing propaganda. :roll:

Many breeders keep their rabbits in tiny cages with no exercise. You know that as well as I do.

Amy

You know as well as I do that this isn't necessarily true. Many breeds (especially does) can only be shown when very young, so long term care and good diet is often not an issue beyond the first few months of life.

All of my rabbits are easy to handle as well...this has NOTHING to do with showing.

Walnutearth, your posts are usually sensible, but this is blatent pro-breeding/showing propaganda. :roll:

Many breeders keep their rabbits in tiny cages with no exercise. You know that as well as I do.

Amy

Its not propaganda, I'm merely presenting 2 sides to an argument, most of this topic is anti-shows, I'm representing the pro-showing side.

Yes some breeders do keep them in tiny cages with no excercise, but I wasn't speaking for those breeders, trust me I hate them as much as you do! I was speaking for myself and other close friends that keep their rabbits well and IMO better than the average pet keeper.

I'm glad your rabbits are easy to handle, you obviously handle your rabbits regulary. i wasn't saying it was limited to exhbitors, merely that it would be rare to meet an exhibitor with rabbits that couldn't be handled, because they need to be handled to be shown. I'm sure you've read all the numerous posts on here about not being able to pick rabbits up, they make me cringe!

I'm not looking to offend, which is why i avoided this post to begin with, but I really disagree with the view that rabbit shows are cruel so wanted to put in my twopenneth worth.

Back