• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shedding

Hi, this is my first June with my bunny and I know they shed a lot at the beginning of summer but how much is normal? I try to comb Alaska once or twice a day at the moment because she seems to be losing an astronomical amount of hair. It does just seem like normal shedding though (she is not losing it in patches). Her coat is still thick and shiny so I think it is just the under layer that is coming out. She is very well and really happy so I don't think there's anything wrong with her but I wanted to check if anyone else was similarly surprised when their rabbit properly shed for the first time? Or could this be a medical issue?

Hi, this is my first June with my bunny and I know they shed a lot at the beginning of summer but how much is normal? I try to comb Alaska once or twice a day at the moment because she seems to be losing an astronomical amount of hair. It does just seem like normal shedding though (she is not losing it in patches). Her coat is still thick and shiny so I think it is just the under layer that is coming out. She is very well and really happy so I don't think there's anything wrong with her but I wanted to check if anyone else was similarly surprised when their rabbit properly shed for the first time? Or could this be a medical issue?

What breed is she and is she spayed ?

Yes she is spayed. I'm not entirely sure what breed she is but my best guess would be lionhead x english spot. She has a short coat but a huge long mane.

Some moults can be very extreme and the amount of fur that comes out can make a pile as big as the Rabbit.

Some of my animals are having a second dramatic moult at the moment. Just keep removing the loose fur so it doesn't get ingested.

One of mine is moulting like mad, she has a thick coarse coat that needs lots of brushing to get the fur out. The other has a very smooth coat and weirdly doesn't seem to be moulting at all.

My bridge pair never displayed heavy line moults ,but boy did they shed, Rio was a tri coloured lop with medium length hair fur,the garden birds liked his floof in springtime.His wifey bun was a softer otter blue girl and needed more gentle grooming( not that she appeciated it) stroopy madam.

Back