• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Questions!

Willowzee

Young Bun
As you might of seen, my OH has now "suggested" (I already had, but we'll let him win this one :p) that we get a 6x6 shed (possibly 6x4 but he said 6x6) and convert it for our four rabbits.

We will of course, have a run attached and they will also get free range time when we are home to supervise (which is a fair bit, I only work part time because of the kidlets)

My question now is... is there anything in a shed I need to look for? Will it need windows? a stable type door? Anything?

It won't be able to have electricity as it's too far up the garden, at least not immediately... I don't want the rabbits to overheat or anything!

Anything I need to know BEFORE we buy a shed?

Thanks in advance :)

Get a tongue and groove one rather than an overlap shed as the T&G is stronger and has less bits that can be eaten by rabbit. A stable door can easily be made and therefore is not really worth the extra expense. If you have windows you can remove the glass / plastic and replace them with mesh.

I would ply line the interior walls anyway personally to prevent the shed being nibbled, ply is safe just not MDF, I got mine from B & Q and paid £179.00 I believe they were selling them at the end of last year for £89.00, just googled it here is the link http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...9016497&fh_secondid=10226461&ts=1277581077465 £93 + you will need a cat flap, mine was a lockable large one from PAH for £30.00 ish I think, allow for ply approx £60 to line the inside and I have just painted mine with cuprinol shades Seagrass on the outside to preserve it, not sure how much that is as OH got the small tin and we need another one:roll: Lino is about £15.00 for a 6x4 shed so all in all not much change out of £200 but, I think thats a bargain as it will last ages and be nice and cosy in winter.

Sounds good!

We looked at that shed and others at b and q today.

Is a 6x4 definatly ok for my four, given they will have shelves, a run attached and plenty of garden free range time to boot?

We can't afford much payout in one go this month, and I want to get organised asap, we can go ahead with the 6x4 once I'm sure it's acceptable!

Thanks xx

6x4 is fine for four, seeing as the usual minimum hutch size is 6x2x2; it is twice the size, for twice the number of bunnies. If you do attach a run, attach it with a cat flap.

:wave:

i had a shed for years, and it was a right pain with rats. it was so hard to get rid of them, they just seemed to flock to it, no matter what we did. eventually my dad lined the shed floor with lead! it seemed to work :) unfortunaltely by then the shed was old so we decided to knock it down.
just something to think about, id suggest lining it with something solid!

Yeah that's one concern about a shed, we found baby mice in our hutch at one point!! And many adult rats trying to get in... That's in my parents garden that backs onto an allotment, our garden is pretty quiet for wildlife in the two yrs we've been here, one squirrel spotted and that's it lol

The only other option is a double tier 6ft by 2ft with 6ft run which we could do but most ppl seem to favour the shed option and I'm no bunny expert! I'm guessing it's just more space on one floor without having to go up a ramp

Xx

how about buying a wendy house and putting it on bricks? that way nothing can nest underneath?
i know some people buy dog kennels aswell (the huge ones) and they seem to be quite good.

Not sure if I'm being dense here, but we plan on flagging where the shed will be anyway... Wouldnt that be similar?

I hope this helps, but I bought the exact same shed that VickiP posted the link to.. I bought it 2 weeks ago from B&Q (damnit, it's got 15% off now!!!) and although the tongue and groove ones are recommended as they don't allow bunny's to nibble on the wood panels, I think the overlap shed is fantastic for the price.
I had my boyfriend and 4 of his friends round one evening to lay the concrete slab base and erect the shed- I provided them with food and beer and it was done within 2 hours ;)
I am *hoping* to bond 2 of my boys and 2 of my girls and then house them in the shed, I'll post some pics of mine if you like? It's not yet finished on the inside and I have a lot of bunny proofing to do, but my boys were only neutered a couple of weeks ago so I've got a while before they move in :D

I have 3 sheds.
All of them are on flag stones, and I've never had a rat problem.
I have T&G and it is worth the extra expense, as the overlap shed I have to store the garden tools in warps and lets in water.

If you can afford it go for the 6x6 rather than the 6x4, as once you've put in shelves etc there won't be much room for you to get in and clean, and have a place to sit with them in the 6x4,and with 4 bunnies you're best off putting in good deep shelves of 2'6" or deeper, depending on how long your arms are to reach the back!

I have made opening windows for my sheds which are meshed over on the outside, so they can be closed and snug in winter, but have plenty of ventilation in summer.

I have cut my doors in half to make stable doors - just make sure you brace the door along the edges before you cut it else they will lose their "squareness". I also have inner mesh doors, so in the summer the main door can be open completely,and the main doors have little rabbit doors, so in winter the main door is closed but they have access to their enclosures.

I've just refitted two of my sheds out so that they are insulated, overboarded and have three - four levels in so they can sit next to their windows and see out over the whole garden.

Pics would be awesome!!

If budget allows we will go 6x6, but sadly I'm not sure it will stretch that far as I want to do it asap, the buns need more space.

We are already putting back buying new furniture we need to do this lol!

heres my shed and run attached

100_0943.jpg

I have a shed for my bunnies and no problems with rats or mice yet, but then again I have 6 cats! There are lots of spiders, but oh well.

You'd definitely need a window for light for the buns, even a small window will give lots of light. And it'd be best to replace it with mesh because it'd get very hot in summer and need air. :) If there's some way you can close or block the window at night or in winter/cold weather that'd be good too.

I have 3 sheds.
All of them are on flag stones, and I've never had a rat problem.
I have T&G and it is worth the extra expense, as the overlap shed I have to store the garden tools in warps and lets in water.

If you can afford it go for the 6x6 rather than the 6x4, as once you've put in shelves etc there won't be much room for you to get in and clean, and have a place to sit with them in the 6x4,and with 4 bunnies you're best off putting in good deep shelves of 2'6" or deeper, depending on how long your arms are to reach the back!

I have made opening windows for my sheds which are meshed over on the outside, so they can be closed and snug in winter, but have plenty of ventilation in summer.

I have cut my doors in half to make stable doors - just make sure you brace the door along the edges before you cut it else they will lose their "squareness". I also have inner mesh doors, so in the summer the main door can be open completely,and the main doors have little rabbit doors, so in winter the main door is closed but they have access to their enclosures.

I've just refitted two of my sheds out so that they are insulated, overboarded and have three - four levels in so they can sit next to their windows and see out over the whole garden.

oh wow your bunny sheds sound fab!! How do you mesh the windows and still open them?? I cant figure it out.. also how have you put shelves up? Can you do piccies of outside and inside please :D;)

Back