• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shadow's Story from a bad home extreme behavioral problems and weaning her kits?

Eaj20

Young Bun
I re-homed their mum from a breeder when I got her she was extremely jumpy & didn't like being touched. Due to her last home she has many behavioral issues. I was planning on bonding her with my neutered buck once she was spayed, so I booked her into the vets for her op and 3 days before the op I found 3 unexpected arrivals in her cage (big surprise!) especially after the lady I got her off laughed at me when I asked if she'd bred from her *laughing* she said she's to young to breed from and something about how pet owners think they know more about rabbits than she does and how she was annoyed at me for even asking such a stupid question as she was only 5 months at the time. Well the 3 kits in her cage proved that stupid woman wrong!! and it was completely irresponsible of her to be putting a 5 month old doe near a unaltered buck!. Anyway the reason for weaning at this point is that all 3 Buns have new homes to go to and will be going to new homes at 8 weeks also mum is going to a new home where she will be cared for by a very kind lady who knows how to deal with bunnies who have come from a terrible background she has years of experience with rabbits and is going to give her the time and attention she needs to be a a loving and happy bun and she is going to send me pictures and updates of how she is getting on and I'm also going to visit which I'm very happy about I think this is whats best for her as she is currently living indoors but she would ideally be suited to being outdoors due to her temperamental behavioral and having lots of space to run around in the fresh air. My problem is that now the babies are old enough they are starting to copy mums behavior and I am extremely worried about them doing this in there new homes and if the behavior continues when they leave they will be put in a rescue or past from home to home because people cannot deal with them I know it is best for them to stay with mum for as long as possible but I feel it may not be best for them in the long run if their behavior continues. I don't know what anyone else thinks of this? are the bad habits likely to stay with them or disappear once there in their new homes? and would they survive if i removed mum from there cage? (babies are just over 6 weeks)

The rabbits are old enough now for any behavioural problems to have been passed on. I believe the first 42 days of a rabbit's life are the foundation so really there is not much you can do. Hopefully, in the right hands with patience, they can learn to trust the humans. I don't think removing them from Mum will help, it might just put them against humans even more.

Back