• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seriously?????

:lol::lol::lol: I had this exact item! :wave:

I had it for two very tiny Sebright Bantam chicks though. And I only paid £40 for mine. I donated it to the RSPCA when the chicks started getting feathers. I made a very big point of telling them I'd never kept a rabbit in it! :shock: I have to admit, I did attempt to fit Thistle (my conti) in it just out of curiosity one day (I was having a funny five minutes!) and he couldn't turn around! These 'hutches' are every bit as tiny in really life as it looks in the photo.

Did he get stuck?! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

They're saying it's a night hutch/retreat but it's nowhere near big enough even for that. The carrier I use for vet trips is almost as big.

What can be done?? Would it be worth writing to zooplus/RSPCA/RWA about it? Wasn't there some kind of campaign recently whereby you could report pet shops sellign small hutches??

When I see them online, I email the link the RWA guidelines for suitable size accomodation and briefly say that the products they are selling are in fact falling short of the minimum recommendations for rabbits, never get replies funnily enough:roll: That is beyond stupid selling that with a picture of a rabbit in it, it is worded in such a way that it's suitable and 'safe' enough to live in!!!! Ridiculous and actually if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have thought that anyone could be so stupid to think that was suitable. It's not even raised off the ground (the so-called living/bed area) :evil::evil::censored:

Last edited:
The picture of the bunny has obviously been superimposed, if it was running like that in a run that size he'd smush his nose!!

its so sad they get away with selling these things for bunnies. We really do need new legislation. sigh :(-sue

Did he get stuck?! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Just a little bit yeah! :lol::lol: Perfect for some little chickies though :)

Just to add - I'd never buy anything with this kind of wire in it again. Firstly, if used outdoors, the gaps are big enough to let mice and rats in. Secondly, it's designed in such a way that bunnies can destroy it in a matter of days - easily chewable to the point where the wire isn't secure and thirdly, I had a big hutch/run thing with this wire. I put my bestest bunny in the whole world in it because it was new and I wanted him to have the best stuff (I know, i know... no favourites!) and the next morning I went out to feed the animals and some devil creature had got it's teeth/claws in through the bars, pulled an entire wire panel out if the side of the run and left little Mulberry, minus his head, in the middle of my garden. :cry::cry::cry:

I HATE this kind of wire. :censored:

Just copying over from the other thread:

Just sent them an email. If everyone does the same... :)

Regarding this:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/pet_s...e/small_animal_clearance/154378?unique=HTML22

I think it's disgusting that you would sell something like this for a rabbit. It is far too small and is more like a prison than a hutch.

Please check the RSPCA's minimum hutch sizes. People will buy this from yourselves as a respected business and their rabbits will suffer for it. Please reconsider selling this product.

As horrible as that one is, at least it's listed under clearance items so maybe they're just getting rid of old stock.

I'm more worried about the listing for rabbit cages: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage

I mean, really? Even for dwarfs...

Smallest one: Size: approx. 97 x 60 x 45.5 cm (L x W x H)

:cry:

:lol: I also have one of those! It was my bantam chickies indoor home. It's now in my shed for Brian to hop in and out of as he pleases (and is a glorified litter box!).

I don't see anything wrong with the cages themselves - they were perfect for my little chicks. The problem is the way they're advertised and the customers they're directed at. I wouldn't actually like to see them not sold at all (I'd have to buy my two inch tall chicks a 6 foot hutch! :lol:) but I'd like to see sensible advertising. Advertising these for rabbits is just ludicrous.

:shock:

night hutch.:shock:

considering the entire thing (including run!?) is a meter long i doubt a dwarf lop would fit in that (other than by use of a shoe horn)

in honestly shocked. i've never seen such a tiny hutch/run combo.:censored:

Surely it's no worse than a 3 foot hutch that is advertised as a permanent home? This is advertised as a 'retreat' or night hutch. I'm not saying I like it or would use it, but I think the 3 foot hutches are worse.

Surely it's no worse than a 3 foot hutch that is advertised as a permanent home? This is advertised as a 'retreat' or night hutch. I'm not saying I like it or would use it, but I think the 3 foot hutches are worse.

But who would have a night hutch and a regular hutch? :?

I think it's dreadful. I've emailed them to say so.

Depends if they are free range during the day, I guess.

All I'm thinking is that they will respond saying that it's not advertised as a permanent home.

I think letting the company know your opinion is good but do remember to keep your correspondence polite and factual. It makes it carry much more weight than just a rude message :)

:lol::lol::lol: I was joking! I know I'm not a muppet! ;) I hope! :lol:

I see your point entirely georgie_f about keeping bantam chicks in that housing. [Chicks actually need a small area - in nature they are usually confined to a nest until ready to fly. I note that you change their housing when they get flight feathers.] It's about the only thing it IS suitable for.
Your point beautifully highlights it's total unsuitablility for any larger animal which runs around, & at the same time suggests a more suitable market for the product.:thumb:

Back