• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seeking advice

Sarah_1988

New Kit
My female rabbit her name is Biscuit, had 3 babies that are now 5 months old. 2 male and 1 female. We decided to keep the babies as we all fell in love with them. My problem is I have rang the vets to have my boys done but was told we couldn’t until they are 6 months old. Which is fine! One of my male rabbits has been mating with biscuit, we don’t think she is pregnant no signs are showing BUT we have found on two separate occasions biscuit is still feeding them. Should she still have milk with the babies being 5 months old or does this mean she is pregnant again? We did separate her from the rest the first time we found them feeding but biscuit’s behaviour started to change and we didn’t want her feeling secluded from the others so we put them all back together. Any advice would be amazing! Ive tried to find information on how long her milk should last but I’m not finding anything. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello, I've no experience or knowledge regarding how long a doe would have milk for. However, if all 4 rabbits are unneutered then it's likely that one or both of your does is now pregnant.

I'm surprised that your vet has said not to neuter the bucks before 6 months. Vets are usually happy to neuter as soon as the testicles drop.

I would definitely separate the bucks from the does now. And I would then be on pregnancy watch with the 2 does.

If you are not intending to breed from the does, it would be a very good idea to have them spayed (obviously once you are sure that they are not pregnant). Unspayed does have a very high risk of developing uterine carcinoma.

Thank you for your advice. When the boys are 6 months (in 2 weeks) we have them booked in for the op and then once we know for sure the does aren’t pregnant we are going to have them sprayed. It’s just her feeding them that we are confused by!?

Are you prepared for another 8 babies? Does can supple their young for as long as 12 weeks in my limited experience. I hope your Does are ok.

I have no experience of this in rabbits, but I have seen dogs and cats through work still produce milk for a long time if there is young still suckling so not sure if this could be causing her to keep producing the milk due to the stimulation of them feeding? That is just a guess though! I would be very surprised if the does aren't pregnant though, which wouldn't be very good as mum has just had a litter and they are all related if I've read correctly? Even after neutering the males will remain fertile for some time so I would split now.

My female rabbit her name is Biscuit, had 3 babies that are now 5 months old. 2 male and 1 female. We decided to keep the babies as we all fell in love with them. My problem is I have rang the vets to have my boys done but was told we couldn’t until they are 6 months old. Which is fine! One of my male rabbits has been mating with biscuit, we don’t think she is pregnant no signs are showing BUT we have found on two separate occasions biscuit is still feeding them. Should she still have milk with the babies being 5 months old or does this mean she is pregnant again? We did separate her from the rest the first time we found them feeding but biscuit’s behaviour started to change and we didn’t want her feeling secluded from the others so we put them all back together. Any advice would be amazing! Ive tried to find information on how long her milk should last but I’m not finding anything. Thanks

If the Adult Doe is not already pregnant she soon will be if they all remain together. This will then lead to all the Severe health problems associated with inbreeding :cry: And of course the potential of numerous more Rabbits all of whom will need neutering and vaccinating and a home that can provide large accommodation to meet their welfare needs.

A Buck can be castrated as soon as his testicles have descended, usually from about 12-14 weeks of age. Maybe your Vet is not very Rabbit Savvy if he/she told you that Bucks need to be 6 months of age before they can be castrated.

Information about neutering here : https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/neutering/

Vaccinations (Essential): https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/vaccinations/

If you continue to browse the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund’s website you will find a vast amount of information about Rabbits and how to meet all of their welfare needs https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

For several weeks after neutering your male could inpregnate your does.
Sending positive vibes for his op.

Back