• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science selective samples! (UPDATE)

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I emailed the people at supreme pet foods and asked if I could have some samples of the science selective food to give to members of the Facebook page I run UK Rabbit Group and give them an idea of what the food is like!

I have just been and had a look at what was sent to me, I was expecting maybe 10 small bags or something to turn up.

There is a gigantic box filled with at least 100 of these small sample bags and leaflets to go with them! Fenugreek and aniseed flavour!
http://www.rabbithutch.org.uk/img/rabbit-food-science-selective-5kg_2869_300.jpg

They have been so generous!

I have no idea what to do with it all, mine aren't even on science selective :lol: they get excel! Help! haha! Anyone want a sample haha?

Last edited:
I emailed the people at supreme pet foods and asked if I could have some samples of the science selective food to give to members of the Facebook page I run UK Rabbit Group and give them an idea of what the food is like!

I have just been and had a look at what was sent to me, I was expecting maybe 10 small bags or something to turn up.

There is a gigantic box filled with at least 100 of these small sample bags and leaflets to go with them!
http://www.rabbithutch.org.uk/img/rabbit-food-science-selective-5kg_2869_300.jpg

They have been so generous!

I have no idea what to do with it all, mine aren't even on science selective :lol: they get excel! Help! haha! Anyone want a sample haha?
Take them to a rescue? I know they're only sample packs, but every little helps and I guess they're probably a daily amount of pellets in each pack?

Take them to a rescue? I know they're only sample packs, but every little helps and I guess they're probably a daily amount of pellets in each pack?

I don't know. I would always try and help out a rescue but what I am saying is taking them to a rescue would make the reason I asked for them untrue?

The aim is to try and educate as to the importance of pellet over museli food? And learn the benefits?

I'm sorry if it sounds really awful or something?

I don't know. I would always try and help out a rescue but what I am saying is taking them to a rescue would make the reason I asked for them untrue?

The aim is to try and educate as to the importance of pellet over museli food? And learn the benefits?

I'm sorry if it sounds really awful or something?

I didn't see the replies before mine :oops:

I see what you're saying, So maybe split them?

It doesn't sound awful at all, from what I've seen on the fb group, most people are already using pellets. Perhaps a rescue could use them as a suggested food when sending bunnies to new homes?

Maybe see if the rwaf or action for rabbits has any events planned near you as they could give them out there to educate people?

Also you've just inspired me to cross a thing off my to do list - have just emailed supreme to ask them to consider a loyalty scheme similar to the burgess one so I can give my furries a good diet and help rescues. Will let you know what they say.
Weirdly, I can't find the page for the burgess petcare loyalty scheme any more and the links I've seen don't work - so not sure if they're retiring it, or no longer promoting it, or just moved their site round a bit and it got lost

Maybe see if the rwaf or action for rabbits has any events planned near you as they could give them out there to educate people?

This too :thumb: or see if you can spend some time at a pet shop, or even that petting farm/zoo you were on about, and educate people yourself! That's if you have the spare time to do so of course

Maybe split it so you can give out to the forum/FB group and then send some to a rescue so that they can give the leaflets with a packet of the food out with new bunnies that they rehome? x

You can give it to rabbit owners you know and also to a rescue shelter. This will be a big help to them. You can suggest them to try to use the pellets.
Right now I am using pellets to feed my foster rabbit and they like it so much.

My boys love science selective but I never knew it came in different flavours it will be one to look out for. At there last check up at the vets he gave me some sample bags that's what made swap like I said they love it:love:.

how about giving some sample bags to your vets with leaflets, that they can give any clients that come in with rabbits, and encourage feeding of correct diet

Awesome, yes, it sounds like a great opportunity for education. I'd start by weighing one and checking postage and then do as you originally intended and offer them on the group for the cost of postage (I'm guessing you probably don't want to cover postage for 100 bags :lol: ). Then see how many you have left.

You could also offer the locally via freecycle or facebook selling sites, that would be a good opportunity to get some education out to people that maybe don't look at rabbit specific groups. I'd limit it to one per person. That would mean no postage cost too.

Another place would be local petshops, see if they want to give away a few bags in exchange for poping up a leaflet or poster.

Awesome, yes, it sounds like a great opportunity for education. I'd start by weighing one and checking postage and then do as you originally intended and offer them on the group for the cost of postage (I'm guessing you probably don't want to cover postage for 100 bags :lol: ). Then see how many you have left.

You could also offer the locally via freecycle or facebook selling sites, that would be a good opportunity to get some education out to people that maybe don't look at rabbit specific groups. I'd limit it to one per person. That would mean no postage cost too.

Another place would be local petshops, see if they want to give away a few bags in exchange for poping up a leaflet or poster.

This is more like what I wanted to do. Try and get some education out there about the correct types of food. I often worry because people see the muesli foods in pet shops and it does one of two things:
- Tells people that the museli food is correct for all rabbits, I know in rare cases museli works for rabbits.
- Gives people the impression that thats ''all'' rabbits need to eat and they are the left without vital hay.

Yes, it's really the people that don't hang out on rabbit groups and just 'learn' from pet shops that you want to target for maximum effect. I think quite a lot of general population have or know someone with a rabbit so offering them in non rabbit-owner specific places might work well. Events like a school fate, newsletter, car boot sale, maybe a note in the library to email you for a sample etc.

Yes, it's really the people that don't hang out on rabbit groups and just 'learn' from pet shops that you want to target for maximum effect. I think quite a lot of general population have or know someone with a rabbit so offering them in non rabbit-owner specific places might work well. Events like a school fate, newsletter, car boot sale, maybe a note in the library to email you for a sample etc.

Great idea, thanks Tamsin! I'll make a plan and try and get some out there! :D

I've been in contact with Ros at the RWAF and I'm going to take some samples of SS for the guys on the RWAF stand to give out! I thought that was the perfect place to offer some free samples out and educate people on the proper foods!

:D

Back