• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science Selective or Excel best for fibre?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
About 3 years ago I changed Spenser from Excel to Science Selective as the latter had nore fibre. I've just found out this is not or no longer the case as Excel has 39% fibre and SS has 25%. They are both good brands and I don't plan to change Spenser's pellet, but I'm wondering if anyone else thought SS had more fibre.

About 3 years ago I changed Spenser from Excel to Science Selective as the latter had nore fibre. I've just found out this is not or no longer the case as Excel has 39% fibre and SS has 25%. They are both good brands and I don't plan to change Spenser's pellet, but I'm wondering if anyone else thought SS had more fibre.

Me :wave:

Mind you I haven't actually looked - just assumed.:oops:

All my buns do okay on SS - but Excel does cause excess cecals in some so will stick to SS - but interesting.

I've seen something on here about this before, I think SS is considered better because it has a higher crude fibre content than Excel.

Yep here it is: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?369042-Excel-vs-Supreme-Science-Selective-which-one-has-more-fibre

Also for reference is Tamsin's food comparision chart http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

That's true, infact I just fell for the 'beneficial fibre' labelling on the Excel products. For example on the Adult Nuggets it lists 'Beneficial Fibre' as 39% but further down the list it has the (more important) crude fibre as 19%

Very 'clever' food labelling :?

As an anecdote - Hector fairs better on SS rather than excel with fewer ceacals. I put this down to fibre content (given poor hay consumption albeit loads of forage) although I maybe wrong. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I give my bunnies a mixture of both which I think they like. No uneaten caecals thankfully :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I'd be too scared to use SS after hearing these horrible choking stories! I've always used Excel and never had them cause excess cecals :)

I'd be too scared to use SS after hearing these horrible choking stories! I've always used Excel and never had them cause excess cecals :)

That has me a little freaked too so I just break them up.

Why haven't science selective reviewed the shape and size of them at this stage? Surely they have heard they are a choking hazard. I don't get it :/

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Back