• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

School rabbit

tigerlilyb84

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have become aware of a rabbit kept at the school where my sister works. He is kept in a 4 foot hutch and is left alone every weekend. I wrote a letter to the school explaing the needs of rabbits i.e. space, exercise, companionship etc. and also provided info about the shorter life spans of school rabbits due to stress and changes in diet etc.

My sister says the school wants to keep him and will look into getting him a friend and a bigger hutch.

I suppose I should be happy but I'm still deeply concerned about his/their welfare as no rabbit should ever be left alone for a whole weekend.

Is there anything I can or should do?

Hi all,

I have become aware of a rabbit kept at the school where my sister works. He is kept in a 4 foot hutch and is left alone every weekend. I wrote a letter to the school explaing the needs of rabbits i.e. space, exercise, companionship etc. and also provided info about the shorter life spans of school rabbits due to stress and changes in diet etc.

My sister says the school wants to keep him and will look into getting him a friend and a bigger hutch.

I suppose I should be happy but I'm still deeply concerned about his/their welfare as no rabbit should ever be left alone for a whole weekend.

Is there anything I can or should do?

The RIWF have leaflets with info about rabbits. Perhaps you could contact them and send some to the school so that they can make better choices. Sounds like they want to do right by the rabbits if they are considering company and a bigger set up.

The RIWF have leaflets with info about rabbits. Perhaps you could contact them and send some to the school so that they can make better choices. Sounds like they want to do right by the rabbits if they are considering company and a bigger set up.

Hiya, I sent some RWAF along with the letter. They obviously enjoy having him there, but it really concerns me that he is left alone from probably around 4pm on a Friday until 8am on a Monday. Rabbits are masters of hiding illnesses and he could die over a weekend without proper supervision :-(

Well done for taking action here.
I had a similar experience recently with some school guinea pigs and I spoke to the RSPCA.
Just me telling the head teacher I had done this was enough for them to take me seriously, the last thing they want is an RSPCA inspector turning up and imagine if the local paper got to hear of it!
The RSPCA are against the keeping of animals of any type -even fish- in schools. There is an excellent resource on their web site about other ways teachers can inform pupils about animals, perhaps you could direct the headteacher to that site.
The RSPCA will act if there is neglect- and leaving an animal for a weekend sounds like neglect to me.
Only deal with the headteacher, become a real thorn in their side. I emailed them regularly, their e mail address is usually on the school website.
Threaten to go to the school governers if the situation doesnt improve for this rabbit.
It is really stressful, but it will be worth it in the end. Good luck xx

Bunnies need mental stimulation......how can that happen over a weekend when there is no-one there? What is the bunny became ill over the weekend........I could go on and on.

It is not being correctly cared for and if there is the possibility of someone offering it a proper, loving and caring home.....well say no more.

IMO in this day and age there is no need for any animals to be kept in schools.

Fingers crossed this bunny has the prospect of having a wonderful new and fulfilling life.

Try contacting the Rabbit Welfare Association with a view to them contacting the school.

I reported someone once for going away for several days and leaving her hamster locked in her room. The rspca considered the animal being intentionally left more than 24hrs temporary abandonment and investigated pretty quickly! Especially as it is a regular thing that's quite concerning.

where is the school? There's a scottish rabbit rescue charity called Fairly Beloved who do education sessions in schools about what rabbits need etc. They are excellent! Maybe there's something like this near you?

:( what genius choose a rabbit for the school pet.... It can't be take home with anyone on the weekend argh..
Not that I agree with school pets anyway

I would just keep sending them info ad inform the RSPCA leaving them all weekend is neglect

I have found usually pets in schools are a positive thing many children don't have pets or understand why where and how pets 'animals' live move smell eat sound and so on, many schools I know keep hens for eggs have veg gardens and try hard to foster an understanding of Welfare and respect for living animals and the responsibility of owning a pet is a good thing, I do agree that a weekend without being checked upon is a long time but someone must take the pet for the holidays ?

I would ask I why your not taking the rabbit home yourself ? Over weekends if your sister works there and you feel it's not checked ?

Offer to be the solution rather than threatening them ?

I dont want to offend anyone here but I have strong views on this. I am a manager of a pre-school and have advisor's come out to let me know new ideas etc etc. On one such visit recently it was muted about keeping pets - not rabbits in particular. I really let rip about how its not fair on the animals. I know its good for children to learn but I also know how incredibly noisy, hot and then lonely and cold a classroom becomes. It is of NO benefit whatsoever to the animal to be kept in such environments and I get so cross when I hear of such stories. There are other ways of teaching children - one that is kind to animals. :evil::evil:

poor bunny. :(

my o/h's mum ended up with one of her rabbits because the pre-school she worked at decided it wasn't a good idea afterall and were about to release her back into the 'wild' :roll:

I dont want to offend anyone here but I have strong views on this. I am a manager of a pre-school and have advisor's come out to let me know new ideas etc etc. On one such visit recently it was muted about keeping pets - not rabbits in particular. I really let rip about how its not fair on the animals. I know its good for children to learn but I also know how incredibly noisy, hot and then lonely and cold a classroom becomes. It is of NO benefit whatsoever to the animal to be kept in such environments and I get so cross when I hear of such stories. There are other ways of teaching children - one that is kind to animals. :evil::evil:

The right animals kept in the right way are always an asset to any environment...more animals need to be kept in a wider range of places more contact with animals more understanding of an animal's needs the less welfare issues, I know a few schools who have been bullied out of keeping animals and it is a loss for children and animals why would you want to keep a chicken in a classroom? A rabbit a mouse a Pair of pigs one school kept raised them for meat for school dinners perfect way to demonstrate welfare issues, truth is animals provide a valuable experience if you can keep them in the right way there should be no problems

Last edited:
The right animals kept in the right way are always an asset to any environment...more animals need to be kept in a wider range of places more contact with animals more understanding of an animal's needs the less welfare issues, I know a few schools who have been bullied out of keeping animals and it is a loss for children and animals why would you want to keep a chicken in a classroom? A rabbit a mouse a Pair of pigs one school kept raised them for meat for school dinners perfect way to demonstrate welfare issues, truth is animals provide a valuable experience if you can keep them in the right way there should be no problems

Sorry but I don't think it's possible to keep a rabbit in a school in "the right way". Either they get left alone on weekends or holidays or they have to be taken home by somebody - constant changes to their environment can be extremely stressful for rabbits. Keeping a pet in a school is purely for the benefit of the staff and pupils and not the animal, which I believe is the exact opposite of demonstrating good welfare.

While I do recognise your comment about stress again it is subjective a rabbit who is happy well adjusted should not have to much issue with being relocated for periods of time..rabbits go on holiday to boarding rabbits get fed by other people experience shifts in routine it's part of the normal ebb and flow if life nothing is constant so I genuinely do think with the right care and treatment animal keeping within schools are an asset and should be avidly supported

Sorry but I don't think it's possible to keep a rabbit in a school in "the right way". Either they get left alone on weekends or holidays or they have to be taken home by somebody - constant changes to their environment can be extremely stressful for rabbits. Keeping a pet in a school is purely for the benefit of the staff and pupils and not the animal, which I believe is the exact opposite of demonstrating good welfare.

Absolutely this!

It may educate about animals needs but then is not backing it up with it's practice. Just the thought of leaving a rabbit between 4 and 8 everyday makes me angry let alone the weekends, holidays and ridiculous rotas to look after it.
I know blossom needs a dental just by the look in his eyes and his posture, who would learn that in a busy classroom?

While I do recognise your comment about stress again it is subjective a rabbit who is happy well adjusted should not have to much issue with being relocated for periods of time..rabbits go on holiday to boarding rabbits get fed by other people experience shifts in routine it's part of the normal ebb and flow if life nothing is constant so I genuinely do think with the right care and treatment animal keeping within schools are an asset and should be avidly supported

But having the rabbit looked after by someone else a couple of times a year is different to every single weekend. I worry enormously when my two have to be looked after by someone else because that someone else doesn't know the early warning signs that something might be wrong, doesn't know their personalities and so can't detect changes in their mood, doesn't know the steps I might take to nip something in the bud etc etc. When I went away last month, the day I came back I took one look at marbles and knew something was very wrong (she has since been extremely poorly) but to my parents she seemed fine!

Having that situation every single weekend would not be appropriate and would create undue stress for the rabbit, in my opinion.

I have to say I agree with the general opinion that animals should not be kept as pets in a school environment. I do not see how having a pet as a 'novelty' in school hours when essentially the children are not actually responsible for that animal teaches them anything other than that it is ok to be involved with a pet when you want and when you don't someone else will look after it. They are never in a situation where they would rather be doing something else than spending time with/cleaning out/feeding that pet, and therefore they do not have any notion of the real responsibility involved.

Even if this was not the case and the children did genuinely learn responsibility, the very fact that these animals are left alone in an empty building overnight or over weekends is just not acceptable to me. That is definitely not in the animals best interest and therefore it should be ruled out as an option. Rabbits in particular are nervous animals and take a lot of time to build up trust with just one individual. I therefore fail to see how a class of 30 young children who all want to pick up/stroke/cuddle said rabbit at the same time is the correct environment. I also do not think that shipping the rabbit off to a different place every weekend is acceptable, I worry enough when I take mine somewhere once a year.

I cannot think of a single animal I would consider suitable as a school pet if I'm honest.

I think it is great that this debate is opened up and again I stand by my previous comments and the schools I know who have and had animals have them for many reasons, with respect I would say very few animals have constant 24 7 human company and to be honest again with the right structure animals are an asset to any school, respect welfare and animals are just so darn interesting to study to draw to understand how they work genetics organisation of animals learning lots of good schools keep animals for a mix of ethical and sound reasons, I know of schools who employ people to go in and feed I know schools who have class's responsible for animals or subject groups I would disagree and say animals are highly adaptable and social community companion animals in schools, It grieves me to think any school should feel pressured or bullied into not keeping animals because of the very fact most "pet" animals are seen as furry humans unfortunately they are not...they are kept because they should be sturdy healthy robust social well adjusted companions and able to thrive in any social human environment otherwise they would not be "pets" and the argument then becomes invalid as they would never of bred and thrived in captivity

I think it is great that this debate is opened up and again I stand by my previous comments and the schools I know who have and had animals have them for many reasons, with respect I would say very few animals have constant 24 7 human company and to be honest again with the right structure animals are an asset to any school, respect welfare and animals are just so darn interesting to study to draw to understand how they work genetics organisation of animals learning lots of good schools keep animals for a mix of ethical and sound reasons, I know of schools who employ people to go in and feed I know schools who have class's responsible for animals or subject groups I would disagree and say animals are highly adaptable and social community companion animals in schools, It grieves me to think any school should feel pressured or bullied into not keeping animals because of the very fact most "pet" animals are seen as furry humans unfortunately they are not...they are kept because they should be sturdy healthy robust social well adjusted companions and able to thrive in any social human environment otherwise they would not be "pets" and the argument then becomes invalid as they would never of bred and thrived in captivity

Clearly we're not going to see eye to eye on this. There's a big difference between animals not being kept an eye on 24/7 and them being left with no one at all to keep an eye on them for over 12 hours of the day and then at weekends for days on end. Animals are very interesting but they are also expensive and I would warrant that those in schools aren't vaccinated or neutered. What would happen if the school bunny turned out to be a dental bun and needed operations every 6 weeks or so to file his teeth down? How would they pay for that? And is anyone there knowledgable about rabbits to tell when they get ill? The changes can be very subtle and if you're trying to control a class of 30 kids and watch the rabbit then I don't think that the bunny not pooing as usual will be picked up on.

Not to mention that rabbits are not 'cuddly' animals and as others have pointed out they are nervous. The last thing I imagine that any rabbit would want is to be dragged out of its cage and poked and prodded by a load of small children on a daily basis. Very young children don't really understand that rabbits are living animals and not toys.

If you want to teach kids how to look after animals properly and the realities of what it is like to have pets then take them on a day trip to a local rescue centre or sanctuary. Then they will learn what happens to rabbits and other animals when kids get bored of them.

I think your assuming to little about other people's capacity and common sense, which saddens me a little and again animals in schools are a positive thing if done in a responsible manor schools are poorer without them

Back