• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

safe height for bunnies

As the insulating and lining of the rabbits playhouse is complete, I decided to give them somewhere extra that I could stash high with hay for snuggling in on really cold winter nights. I have put a hutch inside the playhouse. I will stress that this WILL NOT have the doors closed at any point - I WOULD NOT shut them in a hutch this size, at all. It just makes a nice cosy bedroom area for them and they have the free run of the playhouse, a tunnel and run. t was just more spacious than the "hideyhouse" type things as they will want to snuggle together.

I have attached a wooden ramp now which has a gradual slope up onto the hutch roof, where I have located their beds. Is this a stupid idea? Is it too high for them and could they fall? If so, I will remove it tomorrow and have a re-think. I know that they easily jumped on and off the roof of their initial hutch, which was bigger but not much higher than the little one in the shed (which is on legs)

Attach a picture so you can get some idea. I was fine about it, until Hubby said he thought it was dangerous...

Any opinions welcome.

1378841_644959138882000_184795479_n.jpg

Mine would be fine with that height too. The biggest problem will be if there's not enough space around it for them to leap off without crashing into a wall! Hard to tell from the pic. If they have a ramp then it should be fine.

yeh my Flo would clear that no probs, i have hutches in the conservatory (giant litter trays really lol) and their boxes of hay are sat on top of them, Flo leaps up and for Marley I have a big chair so he can climb up and only hop half the height each time but have something safe to get up and down on

I've just got what looks like exactly the same hutch I'm putting in the shed for when it gets cold and have taken exactly the same door off.

Back