• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWA conference...we're back...some notes added :)

Very long day after a bad nights sleep in a hot hotel room...well worth it though, really interesting lectures and discussions, and fun to watch Alison tell Richard Saunders she had been facebook stalking him, poor man :lol::lol: Lovely to meet Charlotte :) Post more!!!

I took am rather too tired to give you a run down tonight but I'm sure Alison will furnish you with details tomorrow :)

likewise! :wave: great to meet everyone, only just got home via Becky's, will report back tomorrow from the vet side!

Yes Charlotte, you do :lol: Nice to meet you :)

Anyway, here's my notes part 1:

Some notes from the RWA conference 2010

***NB this is my interpretation of what I heard/read*** It’ll be interesting to see if others have a different interpretation/recollection, especially Vikki from the veterinary stream

Endoscopy
Interesting, but not hugely relevant to the owners stream. Instruments are getting smaller and it should now be possible to use a small endoscope to look up a 2kg+ rabbit’s nose with one.

Rabbit anaesthesia
Focused heavily on the need to look at the whole ‘experience’ from admitting the rabbit through to post-op care to make it safer. Also included details on intubation, putting a catheter in the ear as routine as it enables quick access to add drugs in the event of an emergency situation.

Brigitte is also now largely using a different induction protocol to the one I suspect most of our vets use (Vikki, did you note down what it was, they don’t have the details in the owners notes) which involves hypnorm and something else, I forget what. This is because now there are reversal drugs available for both elements of this induction, and they are finding that rabbits who undergo repeated anaesthesia are requiring higher doses of domitor & ketamine on each subsequent occasion, whereas this doesn’t seem to be the case with the protocol they usually use now and it is shown to be a bit safer on repeated anaesthetics.

GI stasis
Really interesting lecture, I learnt so much about the rabbit GI tract and the way it functions – fascinating and complex!

One thing I just noticed from the notes is that Anna highlights that rabbits presenting with stasis often try and chew cardboard/wood/paper to obtain fibre. Thinking back to the number of times I’ve seen on here ‘my rabbit has eaten part of a cardboard box, could this have caused a blockage?’ my interpretation of these notes is that maybe the chewing is an indication that the rabbit’s guts are already slowing down rather than the cause of it.

Many causes of GI stasis – common ones include poor diet not high enough in fibre or containing too much carbohydrates, pain, anorexia, dehydration, stress, post-surgical adhesions, etc etc.

I didn’t know that carbohydrate actually inhibits a bunny hormone called motilin which, as its name suggests, stimulates gut motility. So it’s another reason that it’s important that starchy/sugary treats are fed only sparingly as a treat.

Also, while the pH of an adult rabbit gut is from 1-2, it’s 5-6.5 in youngsters, which is why they are so sensitive to changes in diet/surroundings/stress etc as their guts aren’t acidic enough to kill off anything infectious that gets into their gut.

Blockage v GI stasis – the vast majority of cases of ‘hairballs’ or stomach blockages are actually not true blockages. It’s perfectly normal for there to be a lot of hair in rabbit stomachs and it usually only becomes a true blockage in long-haired rabbits like angoras or in matted rabbits where a bunny pulls off the matt and swallows it whole. In severe GI stasis the solid stomach mass can resemble a very solid hairball but aggressive medical intervention should normally be attempted and even very solid lumps will usually disperse.

Treatment: fluid therapy, from oral through to IV depending on severity of condition. Gut stimulants (if not blockage): metaclopromide and ranitidine. Metaclop stimulates the hind gut and ranitidine stimulates stomach emptying so they use both to work on the whole system. Also they are finding high incidence of stomach ulcers on post mortem so ranitidine has the added benefit of being anti-ulcer. If this is an additional source of pain to the rabbit, it again can help treat the stasis. They are also now just starting to use domperidone (sp?) and are finding that it can really give a boost where other drugs haven’t had the effect. If they think it’s a true blockage then they deal with the blockage first and then use stimulants – and sometimes they just massage the blockage down and break it up under GA rather than go for full-on surgery. And of course pain relief. In the initial stages they admit and give opiate pain relief, saying that abdominal pain is very severe and in humans you would be given opiates not paracetamol and therefore they give opiates rather than metacam initially, and move onto metacam once things are starting to move/settle. Also assisted feeding (e.g. critical care at 10ml/kg approx 4 times daily) and exercise also helps.

Liquid paraffin is contra-indicated (not to be used) as you’re trying to rehydrate not lubricate, and paraffin does not support this. They don’t use simethicone (infacol) as rabbits cannot burp so they don’t find it adds any value, although it’s unlikely to do any harm. They don’t advocate the use of pineapple/papaya to help break down hair as there is no evidence to support that this works, and believe that anecdotal evidence is due to the provision of rehydration/energy source. As it is sugary and therefore reduces gut motility and increases the risk of bacterial overgrowth especially clostridia which can kill, they don’t advise its use. They also don't advocate the giving of antibiotics 'just in case' unless there is a clear clinical need to do so.

The vast majority of cases presented as stasis or obstruction are treated medically with surgery only in cases of true blockage (and in this case quickly as it's an emergency), which is very rare and usually even the hardest of hairball-looking-"blockages" will resolve themselves through aggressive medical therapy.

Last edited:
Thanks Alison :)

I am going to be a big headed :censored: here............ I already knew all the GI stasis info :oops: Dont you just love modest folk like me :oops:

It's interesting to hear of a new GA protocol. That will be a real benefit to our Dental Buns (please, no conscious dental debates here........)

I'm off now to make sure I can still get my big head through the door........ :oops:

The GI information is very useful thanks for posting it. Very relevant to my current situation.

Waffle likes to chew her cardboard tubes so I'm wondering if that is linked to her being stasis prone.

Was there any advice on how to change diet might improve/prevent chances of stasis occurring?

Thanks Alison :)

I am going to be a big headed :censored: here............ I already knew all the GI stasis info :oops: Dont you just love modest folk like me :oops:

Ditto. But the anaesthesia stuff is fascinating and something I don't have a clue about at all.
I'm very glad you all had a good time. I'm hoping my vet did actually go as he said he might! Had the conference been closer I would have loved to have gone. Glad it was a success. :)

The GI information is very useful thanks for posting it. Very relevant to my current situation.

Waffle likes to chew her cardboard tubes so I'm wondering if that is linked to her being stasis prone.

Was there any advice on how to change diet might improve/prevent chances of stasis occurring?

Lots and lots of long fibre (Hay/Grass), Good Hydration, (encourage more water intake-eg serving veg wet, water bowl aswell as water bottle), very limited high sugar veg/fruit,moderated amount of pelleted feed no processed cereals, lots of exercise would be my suggestions xx

Lots and lots of long fibre (Hay/Grass), Good Hydration, (encourage more water intake-eg serving veg wet, water bowl aswell as water bottle), very limited high sugar veg/fruit,moderated amount of pelleted feed no processed cereals, lots of exercise would be my suggestions xx

Thanks for that Jane. Looks like i'm already doing all the right things anyway so it probably just means it's something Waffle is prone to.

I think Alison has summed it up well :)

Seeing in detail has the rabbit gut works made me even more fascinated by them, they really are amazing creatures!

I was very interested to hear that they suggest Metacam is not strong enough to kill the initial pain of stasis and always start with opiates, not sure that is something most vets would consider at the moment.

Also interesting to hear Infracol/Pineapple juice are useless, especially as there is often talk of both on here, I believe the vet actually said "old wives tale" :lol:

Talk on safe/dangerous drugs was really good too.

It was good that it was a small group as we did get to talk to the vets afterwards and ask lots of questions :)

I hope the poor turn out for the owner stream doesn't put them off doing it next year!

I'm really interested in the pineapple/papaya thing too. My two both used to suffer with stringy poos from time to time, and the Oxbow papaya tablets helped, but they also contributed to stasis, and they improved when they were no longer on them. So, I really wouldn't want to use them again.

Thanks for that Jane. Looks like i'm already doing all the right things anyway so it probably just means it's something Waffle is prone to.

I would be wary about drawing that assumption unless you have investigated all underlying causes... I only say this because despite an excellent diet, hydration, exercise, minimum stress, and no visible or diagnostic clinical symptoms for years my bun still had recurrent stasis/bloat episodes. We also put it down to 'something bun is just prone too' and it was only by chance after an xray for something else that we discovered our bun has quite bad and obviously very painful arthritis which he gave no signs of at all. This just goes to show that more often than not there is an underlying cause - you just have to find it. Once you have ruled out diet and other things you then need to make sure there really is nothing else going on that may have been missed.

is vetergesic opiate? thats what Alvin was given that time he was admitted overnight and put on a drip.

Judy has been saying for a while now that the carboard eating is a bunnies way of getting the fibre they crave :D

i havent given any fruit or carrots to my pair since February unless i need to get some drugs into Alvin and i use banana.

thankyou for posting :wave::wave: its good to see in heading in the right direction for Alvin's delicate tum :D:D

my vet went to the conference yesterday!! She said they are trailing a new gut stimulant called Motilium and apparently its been really effective. She said next time Noisette has a flare up (fingers cross it won't happen, but likelihood she will) she is going to try it on her! :)

I would be wary about drawing that assumption unless you have investigated all underlying causes... I only say this because despite an excellent diet, hydration, exercise, minimum stress, and no visible or diagnostic clinical symptoms for years my bun still had recurrent stasis/bloat episodes. We also put it down to 'something bun is just prone too' and it was only by chance after an xray for something else that we discovered our bun has quite bad and obviously very painful arthritis which he gave no signs of at all. This just goes to show that more often than not there is an underlying cause - you just have to find it. Once you have ruled out diet and other things you then need to make sure there really is nothing else going on that may have been missed.

i will Ask for x-rays if/when Alvin has stasis on this new diet, his bloods were clear except something was high, a stress hormone i think which may be an issue one day if he starts to lose weight with no explanation (i think she said it eats muscles :oops:). Alvin had a minor slow down the day after i took him and holly to the vets so i think stress is a major factor for his stasis, plus i was too generous with fruit and pellets before February :oops::oops:

Back