• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rubber horse mat?

I need a better surface for my rabbits’ ex-pen, our floor is too slippery so I’ve been using cardboard but that’s hard to clean/annoying or always replace. I read somewhere that some people are using rubber horse mats, which look great as they come big enough for the space. However, I’m worried about the scent, could it be bad for the bunnies? They have yet to chew anything other than their chew toys and some of our blankets and pillows so I’m
Not too concerned about them getting their teeth in the rubber (but would have the edges outside of the pen). Thanks for your help!

I have used stable matting in the past, it does smell rubbery at first but if you can unwrap it and leave it somewhere for a bit some of the scent will disperse. It’s a really good option for flooring in my experience.

I've not used it, but heard good things from others. I agree unwrap, and maybe leave outside to air a bit.

I've done a bit of research and found 'garage rubber mats' to be much more affordable. I can't quite tell the difference between that and those meant for horses, so presume those are fine too?

Horse matting is quite thick and heavy - much heavier than garage rubber mats, which are designed just for people to stand on rather than the weight of a horse. Either should work for rabbits.

I would probably go for the checker rather than coin. You can always hose it down outside once in a while.

Back