• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA DON'T have a recommended hutch size

Yep, we were meant to get a code of practice which gave details on how to apply to animal welfare act to rabbits... but they've not bothered.

There is one in Wales though so it should be easier for someone in Wales to complain about very small hutches on the grounds that a rabbit cannot take 3 hops.

That's when specific sizes help, at what point is a hutch fit/unfit for purpose and what are you basing that statement on. The only legal guidelines are for commercial housing or that in Wales that rabbits can take three hops. Of course you then need reliable research on hop length.

I presume what the RSPCA are doing atm is gathering the science to backup their opinion. The RSPCA need to back up what they recommend with evidence/facts is they want it used in court etc.

This is true as far as I'm aware.
Everyone on here knows that rabbits are the most neglected pet in the country. The current RSPCA guidelines were obviously doing nothing, or not enough. So everything is being reworked and then, once the facts are in place there will be a massive push for the welfare of rabbits. I am rabbit coordinator for my branch and I am also on the committee, so I can tell you if something doesn't happen they will have to answer to me. ;)

Different branches have different requirements but I agree their should be a minimum for all branches. My local one requires a 6 x 3 x 3 hutch and a large run attached as minimum. :)

I hope when the RSPCA does something about it, that the SSPCA will also take their advice. At the moment anyone can walk into an SSPCA centre, prove proof of address, and walk out with a rabbit. No homechecks, no advice, no neutering and no bonding. It's pretty much as easy as a pet shop.

Back