• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosy Posy is a very poorly girl :(

Many get well vibes for Rosy Posy.

If you need any more eating suggestions, I always try a few sunflower seeds as they have vitamin E and boost the immune system and are nourishing.

Bless her, I hope she'll be feeling better soon. I've dealt with Mimzy having nasal issues for years (his vet thinks he may have malformed sinus passages which trap more goo than normal) and it is never easy seeing them having a tough time breathing. :( He gets very squeaky and not just when at the vet. That may just be how he vocalizes though.
Thinking of you both. xxxxxxxx

She's a bit brighter this morning - the meds are clearly making a difference in that sense but I think it's probably the Metacam as she was no doubt uncomfortable before :( she's even trying to binky, but isn't managing much before she has to lie down and rest bless her :lol: hopefully I will start to see a difference in her breathing soon.

Bless her, I hope she'll be feeling better soon. I've dealt with Mimzy having nasal issues for years (his vet thinks he may have malformed sinus passages which trap more goo than normal) and it is never easy seeing them having a tough time breathing. :( He gets very squeaky and not just when at the vet. That may just be how he vocalizes though.
Thinking of you both. xxxxxxxx

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Thank you. Poor Mimzy, it's horrible how you're so helpless :(

Rose seems to have gone downhill again this afternoon :( I've just come in from being out since early morning and she's very quiet and grumpy today, not up to doing much, just sleeping. Her breathing doesn't seem much worse, if at all, which is good I guess. Her poos are also very dark and small :( if she stops eating I will cry, she's a nightmare to syringe feed!

before we got hold of matts snuffles, he used to have the most awful sneezing/coughing fits. he sounded like he was choking and he panicked so much and would be so upset. :( anyway, nebulising was the thing that really helped the most, along with the other meds he was having. i really think it made all the difference. x

Being poorly is a very tiring business...:lol::love::love::love:

20140424_172224_zpsmrv3ztbe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

before we got hold of matts snuffles, he used to have the most awful sneezing/coughing fits. he sounded like he was choking and he panicked so much and would be so upset. :( anyway, nebulising was the thing that really helped the most, along with the other meds he was having. i really think it made all the difference. x

Thanks for this :) I was googling nebulisers last night but think Rosy would find it far too stressful at the moment, even touching her makes her freak out so I think putting mask on her face or in her carrier would be a step too far right now :( Thanks though x

Thanks for this :) I was googling nebulisers last night but think Rosy would find it far too stressful at the moment, even touching her makes her freak out so I think putting mask on her face or in her carrier would be a step too far right now :( Thanks though x

aw poor girl :( you could try just letting her sit on the floor as normal. bisc has his this way and i just direct the nozzle towards him. he usually settles down to sleep whilst it's being done, but he knows he also has the choice to hop off if he wants to. maybe try that first to get her used to it? and it'll put some steam into the air around her if nothing else? x

aw poor girl :( you could try just letting her sit on the floor as normal. bisc has his this way and i just direct the nozzle towards him. he usually settles down to sleep whilst it's being done, but he knows he also has the choice to hop off if he wants to. maybe try that first to get her used to it? and it'll put some steam into the air around her if nothing else? x

I'll ask Sarah about this when I see her next :) thanks! x

A good friend of mine has a bunny that has to have an injection and be nebulised every day.:(

Over time this bunny accepts everything that has to be done and his nebulisation is done in a storage box. Once inside, he settles down for 10 minutes and then once finished, lid off and out he hops...happy as can be.

Is there anyway that you could slowly introduce Rosy to being nebulised by sitting/lying alongside her and getting her used to the paraphernalia and re-assuring her during the process? I've found that patience is always a virtue....especially where bunnies are concerned. Perhaps if you can visually display that YOU are confident with the bits and pieces required for nebulising, she may feel more calm and relaxed as you don't see it all as a threat so she shouldn't either.

In my experience many bunnies will follow your lead. Encouraging a bunny to eat....well I put my head near their bowl and pretend that I am eating their food, and do the jaw movements of eating and make sure the bunny sees this too.....and it does work sometimes.

Best of luck.:thumb:

Last edited:
A good friend of mine has a bunny that has to have an injection and be nebulised every day.:(

Over time this bunny accepts everything that has to be done and his nebulisation is done in a storage box. Once inside, he settles down for 10 minutes and then once finished, lid off and out he hops...happy as can be.

Is there anyway that you could slowly introduce Rosy to being nebulised by sitting/lying alongside her and getting her used to the paraphernalia and re-assuring her during the process? I've found that patience is always a virtue....especially where bunnies are concerned. Perhaps if you can visually display that YOU are confident with the bits and pieces required for nebulising, she may feel more calm and relaxed as you don't see it all as a threat so she shouldn't either.

In my experience many bunnies will follow your lead. Encouraging a bunny to eat....well I put my head near their bowl and pretend that I am eating their food, and do the jaw movements of eating and make sure the bunny sees this too.....and it does work sometimes.

Best of luck.:thumb:

Thanks, Di - if I go down the nebulisation route I'll definitely do this. Thank you x

I'll ask Sarah about this when I see her next :) thanks! x

that's ok. if she's nervous it might be better to start this way so she gets used to the noise. matt used to go into an 80ltr storage box. the ones from wilkos. it was clear so he could still see us, and he actually loved it in there. he knew it helped him. :love: at first i just let him out as soon as he wanted to, and built up the time. then he did 20-30mins 2x a day for years and he spent time in there sleeping, or licking the steam off the sides. :lol::love: i used to lift the box on it's side aswell and let them explore it so they knew what is was. x

eta: it's also a brilliant way to get meds in aswell because they can be mixed with the saline and nebulised, and get right into where they need to be, breaking down the mucus. they effectively kind of punch holes into the mucus to thin and drain it. so another option there aswell if you need to try something else at some stage. x

Last edited:
Back