• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rodney Nesting?

Is this something boys do?

At first I thought he'd just gotten stuck in a pile of hay while burrowing so we 'rescued' him. But he's definitely doing the nesting sort of stuff that Primrose used to do.

Its started today and he's been a bit upset about all the handling we've been doing with Blossom for meds.

Thumping and running and such and I'm wondering if he's stressed at the idea that we're coming to get him next she's on the same medicine timetable he was on for months earlier in the year and I wonder if he remembers the routine as he loves those.

Poor timing wise we had moved their cages around a couple of days before Blossom got sick so they could see more of each other. I'm now wondering if this has triggered everything for them.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Nesting behaviour can occur in neutered Bucks. It can be stress induced, a seasonal/behavioural issue. or in rare cases a symptom of a problem with the adrenal glands- Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia. With the latter nesting is usually a frequent behaviour, often accompanied by other hormonal behaviours such as humping and wee spraying x

How old is he and when was he neutered ?

He's roughly 3 years old based on the RSPCA's best guess when rescued. I would say that fits well with his behaviour and maturity and our exotic vet agreed.

He was neutered 2 years ago just before he came home so around Nov 2018. It took quite a while for his hormones to settle afterwards.

We've never seen him to this before and when Primrose did it he always seemed a bit put off by her manic nesting.

He's roughly 3 years old based on the RSPCA's best guess when rescued. I would say that fits well with his behaviour and maturity and our exotic vet agreed.

He was neutered 2 years ago just before he came home so around Nov 2018. It took quite a while for his hormones to settle afterwards.

We've never seen him to this before and when Primrose did it he always seemed a bit put off by her manic nesting.

It is probably a one off behavioural issue. I would not be overly concerned unless he does it frequently and/or develops any other hormonal like behaviour. If he actually builds a nest don’t remove it as he will just become frantic about building another one.

Thank you I'll keep an eye out.

Yes we learnt that lesson with Primrose when she built one in the litter tray and we tried to clean them out.

Very unhappy little girl that day.

Back