• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Roarys sore ear

Roarysbunmum

Young Bun
I left my 4y.o lion head lop in the care of a bunny boarding place for 2 weeks over Xmas, as I was in Ireland.

When I got him back his fur was matted behind his left ear, he didn't like having the same ear rubbed (usually loves it) and was scratching it a bit. I kept an eye on him but he started scratching more and it started looking a little bit mucky.

We went to the vets this evening and he has a nasty ear infection :( I feel terrible that I didn't have him checked sooner but didn't realise just how bad it was. He is eating/drinking etc fine and doesn't have any head tilt or other horrible symptoms luckily. The vet hardly got to see his ear as it was too sore so I have medicine and we're going back in 10days.

Roary is 2.5kg and has been prescribed 0.75ml per day of Metacalm for 5 days. Also 2mls Baytril per day for 7 days and in 3 days I have to start using Surolan drops twice per day in his ears. The vet wanted the oral meds to start working before using the drops or it would be too painful for him.

Just wanted to know if all the above treatment sounds right to all you knowledgeable bunny people, and if there's anything else I should be doing? He's a house bunny so keeping him warm and quiet plus lots of 'bunny snuggles!'

I don't have any advice, but wanted to send vibes to him :thumb: hopefully someone knowledgable about this will read and reply :thumb:

I left my 4y.o lion head lop in the care of a bunny boarding place for 2 weeks over Xmas, as I was in Ireland.

When I got him back his fur was matted behind his left ear, he didn't like having the same ear rubbed (usually loves it) and was scratching it a bit. I kept an eye on him but he started scratching more and it started looking a little bit mucky.

We went to the vets this evening and he has a nasty ear infection :( I feel terrible that I didn't have him checked sooner but didn't realise just how bad it was. He is eating/drinking etc fine and doesn't have any head tilt or other horrible symptoms luckily. The vet hardly got to see his ear as it was too sore so I have medicine and we're going back in 10days.

Roary is 2.5kg and has been prescribed 0.75ml per day of Metacalm for 5 days. Also 2mls Baytril per day for 7 days and in 3 days I have to start using Surolan drops twice per day in his ears. The vet wanted the oral meds to start working before using the drops or it would be too painful for him.

Just wanted to know if all the above treatment sounds right to all you knowledgeable bunny people, and if there's anything else I should be doing? He's a house bunny so keeping him warm and quiet plus lots of 'bunny snuggles!'

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny's ear infection. They are nasty and can be quite painful.

I think your vet is wise to try and calm down the infection first, and of course Baytril is one antibiotic which is licensed for rabbits, but sometimes others (stronger and more powerful) can be used to greater effect.

Have a read here of someone's experience :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?259495-Inner-Ear-Infection-advice!

I am glad he's a housebunny - keeping him warm at this point is all good for his immune system and well being.

Are you happy your vet is rabbit savvy? Not implying he isn't, but many vets just don't learn enough about rabbits to be able to treat infections successfully or aggressively enough :D

Thanks for the reply Mightymax. The vet we normally see is very rabbit savvy but she is on holiday at the moment! Saw another vet who was very nice but had to look up a book to see what could be prescribed. I'm hoping he was being over cautious! It's clearly an infection and the drops also kill off any potential ear mites if that's the cause.

Managed to get the first dose into him successfully so hopefully they will work quickly! A lot of antibiotics aren't licenced in rabbits so he was reluctant to try anything other than Baytril. Judging from other posts on here it's not a very effective treatment so if there's no improvement I'll ask for an alternative.

I'm starting to think he's playing at being sicker than he actually is at the moment. Under my feet constantly, nose butts me if I stop paying him attention... Hmm cheeky so n so!

Thanks for the reply Mightymax. The vet we normally see is very rabbit savvy but she is on holiday at the moment! Saw another vet who was very nice but had to look up a book to see what could be prescribed. I'm hoping he was being over cautious! It's clearly an infection and the drops also kill off any potential ear mites if that's the cause.

Managed to get the first dose into him successfully so hopefully they will work quickly! A lot of antibiotics aren't licenced in rabbits so he was reluctant to try anything other than Baytril. Judging from other posts on here it's not a very effective treatment so if there's no improvement I'll ask for an alternative.

I'm starting to think he's playing at being sicker than he actually is at the moment. Under my feet constantly, nose butts me if I stop paying him attention... Hmm cheeky so n so!

When does your vet come back from holiday? Hopefully it's not a 'round the world cruise' and she'll be back in the surgery before too long. You need a long and dedicated course of antibiotics - perhaps the stand-in vet is holding the fort. Yes, certainly being cautious prescribing Baytril.

I really hope they get on top of the infection :)

Did the Vet suggest treating for ear mites too ? Ear mites can be a precursor for an ear infection.

Personally before putting the Surolan drops into the ear I'd want the Vet to attempt to take another look in the ears to try to ascertain if the tympanic membrane (ear drum) is intact. If there is any doubt at all about it being ruptured then putting anything directly into the ear canals should be avoided as it can push infecting further down into the middle ear.

In my experience Baytril is seldom useful for a severe ear infection. So if there is no improvement after a few days I would want the Vet to consider something else such as an injectable penicillin. This could be given in combination with Baytril or with another antibiotic called metronidazole.

If there is a large amount of debris and pus in the ear canals it is sometimes necessary for the Vet to clean the ear canals out whilst the Rabbit is under GA. It may be useful to suggest skull radiographs should a GA be needed to determine if there is any evidence of infection in the middle/inner ear. Although in the absence of any vestibular symptoms (eg head tilt) this seems less likely so far.

Ear infections in Rabbits do require aggressive treatment and they can take a long time to resolve. Weeks rather than days. It may be useful to take a look at this information:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/diagnosis-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/treatment-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

Thanks all for your kind thoughts and advice. I'm going to see how he is on Friday, if no improvement then I'll ask for injectable penicillin and a longer course of abx than just a weeks worth. The vet times article is very useful and I will bring it with me to the vets as back up! I'm crossing everything that I've caught it in time and he doesn't worsen. Getting him to take Baytril is a nightmare, must taste horrible!

Change of plan... Just sent my vets a huge email and attached the links to the vet times! I've asked if its possible to lengthen the course of Baytril, get injectable penicillin and is it safe to use Surolan without knowing if his tympanic membrane is ruptured. I apologised for sounding like a neurotic pet owner but I want to do everything possible to nip this in the bud! They're probably going to hate me but I don't like having a sick bunny who is in pain! Let's see what they say...

Change of plan... Just sent my vets a huge email and attached the links to the vet times! I've asked if its possible to lengthen the course of Baytril, get injectable penicillin and is it safe to use Surolan without knowing if his tympanic membrane is ruptured. I apologised for sounding like a neurotic pet owner but I want to do everything possible to nip this in the bud! They're probably going to hate me but I don't like having a sick bunny who is in pain! Let's see what they say...

Yes I thought you would find the Vet Times article useful :D

I think what you've done is a brilliant idea. Only but the most insecure of vets would argue with a client who has his animal's best interests at heart, as you so obviously do.

I love discussing plans with vets - some more open minded than others, but really good to open the discussion.

Lots of good luck!!

Quick update! The vets emailed back last week to say that the initial plan seemed sensible but to bring him back earlier so there would be no break in the antibiotic cover. Roary saw the vet this evening and is much improved, the past couple of days he has been more lively and interested (nosy) in what's going on around him. The vet weighed him and he's actually put on weight inside a week!

We now have another week of Baytril to take plus he got an injection of Ivermectin to combat the mites. We were able to get a full examination tonight and the vet attempted to clean out some of the remaining gunk. Last time he could barely touch his ear so that's a huge improvement!

Let's hope he's turned a corner and things will only get better! Back in 13 days for another review. Have to say I'm very happy with the care provided so far, the vet listens to what I have to say and he's covering all angles. He was still reluctant to inject penicillin but explained his reasoning and I'm willing to try things his way.

Back