• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Right age for bonding + misc. questions

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
Hello all!

I have a happy, healthy three-month old small size doe called Maia.
I decided to give her a bonding mate, and so I am investigating local shelters and breeders. However, this is my first rabbit, and I need to ask some questions.

-Is Maia old enough to bond at all?

-Because of young age, Maia is not spayed yet. My vet told me she can be spayed at 6 months old. This means I'll have to give her a castrated male to avoid litters. However, I still want to spay her to avoid uterus problems later.
Should I wait after she is spayed to bond her? Or can I bond her now and rebond her after the surgery?

-What should I do in case she doesn't like the male I chose for her? I know a bonding can not always go right so I'm pretty worried about that.

-Should I quarantine the newcomer for diseases before I let them meet?

-Any other advice?

Thank you so much!

you should wait until she is speyed and then the best combination is a neutered boy......
there are lots of rescues that will help you and if you get the boy from them he will of already of been neutered :) and they will more than likely do the bonding for you.
i will never get another rabbit from a petshop/breeder because there are so many unwanted rabbits and another reason is rescues help so much after you've bought them especially if things go wrong. :D

Back