• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RHD 2 - How often?

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I've had lots of reminders from my vet saying that Zippy's RHD 2 is due - emails and texts and something in the post. It didn't seem that long since he had it done but I know how quickly time passes as I age:( so I have him booked in for tomorrow.

I have found his vaccination card and it is only six months since he had it done. Do I need it done again so soon? He had his myxi and RHD 1 two weeks before the RHD 2 and there is no mention of him having those again.

Zippy is an outdoor bun.

How often do you have your buns vaccinated for RHD 2?

the vaccine filivac (which is what most rabbits get) gives 12 months of immunity. some people if they're in 'high risk' areas get it done every 6 months, but tbh with you (and this is purely my own opinion) I am skeptical of how much protection it actually gives; given that the vaccine lasts 12 months. idk what good you're doing by giving them another shot of the vaccine of it it protects them anymore than giving them one. its peace of mind ig, but I wouldn't want to over vaccinate, and looking at it from a monetary standpoint its more money per year on vaccines that are unnecessary more than once a year.. the important thing is that they're vaccinated and you revaccinate a couple of weeks before to continue over immunity. plus, everywhere in the country is technically 'high risk' if you want to get nit picky, but I guess they mean where there has been the most deaths.

theres another RHD2 vaccine called erevac, which is usually used for meat rabbits, and that as 9 months immunity duration, so this one is important to do sooner..but most rabbits get given filivac. might be worth checking which it is :)
https://www.google.co.uk/url?https:...ne-for-rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease-available/

I would go with whatever the vet recommends. My vet recommends filivac every 6 months here.

Mine sends a reminder for Filivac at 6m but I'm going with 9, splitting the difference! I do need to book them for that actually.

I am sticking with 12 months. I view high risk as situation rather than area - so things like if you board your rabbits, run a rescue, visit rescue eg regularly volunteer, work at a vets, breed, show etc. If there was a known outbreak very close I would consider that too.

I've had lots of reminders from my vet saying that Zippy's RHD 2 is due - emails and texts and something in the post. It didn't seem that long since he had it done but I know how quickly time passes as I age:( so I have him booked in for tomorrow.

I have found his vaccination card and it is only six months since he had it done. Do I need it done again so soon? He had his myxi and RHD 1 two weeks before the RHD 2 and there is no mention of him having those again.

Zippy is an outdoor bun.

How often do you have your buns vaccinated for RHD 2?
My local vet (not John) is saying 6/12 for RHD2 as she has seen lots of cases and says southampton is a high risk area

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Will discuss it with the vet as I am really not sure. I don't think Zippy is at high risk, apart from being outside. His fur has come out in places so I need to take him to the vet anyway as I have no idea what it is. Will start a new thread:)

After talking it over with the vet I didn't have Zippy vaccinated again. The vet thinks annually is sufficient given where I live and Zippy's lifestyle. If he had recommended six monthly I would have had it done. Financially it didn't make much difference as I had to pay a consultation fee which I wouldn't have done if he had been vaccinated but I am happy to go with what the vet said.

After talking it over with the vet I didn't have Zippy vaccinated again. The vet thinks annually is sufficient given where I live and Zippy's lifestyle. If he had recommended six monthly I would have had it done. Financially it didn't make much difference as I had to pay a consultation fee which I wouldn't have done if he had been vaccinated but I am happy to go with what the vet said.

I posted this on your other thread

There is actually a confirmed outbreak of RHD2 in southhampton

Copied and pasted from a post on Facebook by Ros Lamb, a RWAF Director , on 29th April 2019.

''Reported to us by the BRC

**CONFIRMED** RVHD2 in Southampton, SO30''

Personally I really would consider getting Zippy Vaccinated ASAP and any other Rabbits you have who have not been vaccinated with Filavac in the last 6 months.

I wouldn't have been at all happy with that advice from the vet. Six-monthly is advised and I don't think it is worth the risk. I agree with Jane about all your rabbits. Why don't you contact Anton and just see what they say. JC will tell it is how it is! You wouldn't have to travel all that way to see him, just see what his advice is.

I wouldn't have been at all happy with that advice from the vet. Six-monthly is advised and I don't think it is worth the risk. I agree with Jane about all your rabbits. Why don't you contact Anton and just see what they say. JC will tell it is how it is! You wouldn't have to travel all that way to see him, just see what his advice is.
I call every month to make sure it's not changed to six monthly! I just called now and they are recommending yearly unless going to shows or boarding. They said they can provide 6 monthly if the area is high risk

I call every month to make sure it's not changed to six monthly! I just called now and they are recommending yearly unless going to shows or boarding. They said they can provide 6 monthly if the area is high risk

Oh, thank you! Probably me, being over-protective then. I don't know whether Rhianna's area is high risk, although Southampton is. None of my business, anyway, it is her choice.

Oh, thank you! Probably me, being over-protective then. I don't know whether Rhianna's area is high risk, although Southampton is. None of my business, anyway, it is her choice.
No I agree with you Babsie. I'm doing 6 monthly. I think high risk confuses things. Well confuses me at least

Last edited:
Data sheet for Filivac says 12 months and that’s what I go by.

My vet also says 12 months.

This is my view too and my vet's. I think that the issue of 'high risk' is not so much the location, but whether the rabbit will be going into boarding or to shows and therefore maybe coming into contact with other rabbits. I think there could be a similar issue if a rabbit had to visit the vets very often.

I also think that giving the vaccination 6 monthly could provide benefit (over 12 monthly) only in cases where the rabbit's poor take-up of the vaccine, when given the initial dose, meant that the rabbit was unprotected. As far as I understand it, it would not give twice as much protection if the vaccine had taken well the first time. For me also, there is an issue about too many vaccinations being given to a rabbit and I'm just not certain whether this is a concern or not.

What's clear is that RHD2 is still a large problem :(

It seems so hit and miss. I posted about Herb’s mix up where he got two combis and not the RHD2 vaccine and so was unprotected. I suspect from what the rescue said that he’d never been vaccinated and certainly not for RHD2 and so had no residual resistance. My colleague lost her rabbit to RHD2 as she hadn’t know he needed vaccinating against it whilst I was working with her and she lives about 2 miles from me. Then poor Twigs Way has had all her bunnies vaccinated and lost one to RHD2 whilst it still had about 6 months vaccination left and Twigs is so careful about biosecurity.

Back