• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Researching a better set up for 2 pairs of rabbits- shed questions

booboobunny

Warren Scout
I've currently got 3 rabbits- a single female and a bonded pair. Their current set up is not ideal, however it is working for the short term whilst I plan better space for them! I was going to wait until after winter to start doing anything but my local rescue has a few rabbits that could be bonded with my female and due to living on an island we're limited in choices of rabbit and when they are available.
My plan is this: get a 7ft by 5ft shed with a 4ft by 4ft run attached (or could attach the 8ft by 4ft run instead) which I would put a number of levels in for my dwarf pair. This would then leave me with an 8ft by 6.5ft aviary for my female which I would attach a 4ft by 4ft run via a tunnel to a grass area. I basically need to know whether the aviary would be suitable for two medium sized rabbits and the shed for two dwarf rabbits.
In terms of shed type I am confused which is best - overlap, shiplap etc and the type of lino to put down. I'm planning to put a small hutch in the shed. I've also got to clear an area of my garden which has a massive pile of logs which has been there for years and is a bit overgrown as it's the best place to put the shed and it's a bit of an overwhelming task!
Really what i want is for you all to tell me the best things about your sheds/ things your rabbits have loved in their sheds etc so I don't have to try to make decisions whilst tackling the overgrown garden!

For example I have a 7x5 shed with 2 Lionheads in it. They seem very happy with the amount of space, they also have a small outdoor area wich is part of their set up. You can put various levels in this space. Shiplap or T & G is best, not overlap, and I put ordinary lino down. You need to raise the shed off the ground by a few inches using bricks and bearers, I have found just wood underneath can soak up the water. Hope this helps - are you on the IOW?

I have an 8 x 6 foot shed with a 10 x 6 foot aviary attached. This is for four lionhead x rabbits. I have lino on the floor.

The shed is tongue and groove. It has windows on three sides, two of which can open.

They have a little five foot hutch inside the shed underneath a large dining table. They spend a lot of time on the hutch all cuddled up in a row!!!

They also have three 32litre underbed storage boxes filled with newspaper, straw and hay as litter trays and a magazine rack (wooden) with hay in it.

They have flower pots full of earth and grass in the run which they like to dig/munch sit in.

Back