• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Research project on rabbit ownership

I did the paper one a while back. I had to do it for Grim as he's first in the alphabet. It made me feel like an awful owner as it was asking about how often they eat hay, veg etc and he doesn't. :?
I put little notes all over it about how he's a special case and my other bun eats properly. :lol:

I did the paper one a while back. I had to do it for Grim as he's first in the alphabet. It made me feel like an awful owner as it was asking about how often they eat hay, veg etc and he doesn't. :?
I put little notes all over it about how he's a special case and my other bun eats properly. :lol:

I wouldn't worry; they won't be using the data to determine whether anyone is an awful owner! But by matching up various characteristics such as long term health over a large database, they can tell whether or not certain conditions/behaviours etc are more or less common in rabbits kept in a certain way (type of housing/exercise, diet, handling, companionship, neutering etc).

So for instance for buns with ongoing dental problems, they might discover that there is a higher incidence of it in buns who live indoors/who eat a rabbit mix/who aren't neutered/who don't have a run on grass (I'm making this up BTW, not suggesting that any of these things are true) or that grumpy rabbits are usually unneutered and live alone. Or they might be surprised to discover that the highest incidence of grumpiness is not in unneutered females as they may have assumed, but is in fact in neutered males in a group, for instance. It's only by having an enormous database with all the permutations that they stand any chance of matching up cause and effect and seeing what factors may have an impact on bunny health and wellbeing :) There will always be buns who are just a bit 'special' and whose conditions are nothing to do with the way they are kept, but there are also plenty of instances where it is, or could be the case - and that's what they are trying to determine. Should be interesting :)

I thought it was a really good survey and I don't think it took me more than 15 minutes. I enjoyed filling it in as it made me think about exactly how my buns are feeling especially with the bhaviour questions.

I wouldn't worry; they won't be using the data to determine whether anyone is an awful owner! But by matching up various characteristics such as long term health over a large database, they can tell whether or not certain conditions/behaviours etc are more or less common in rabbits kept in a certain way (type of housing/exercise, diet, handling, companionship, neutering etc).

So for instance for buns with ongoing dental problems, they might discover that there is a higher incidence of it in buns who live indoors/who eat a rabbit mix/who aren't neutered/who don't have a run on grass (I'm making this up BTW, not suggesting that any of these things are true) or that grumpy rabbits are usually unneutered and live alone. Or they might be surprised to discover that the highest incidence of grumpiness is not in unneutered females as they may have assumed, but is in fact in neutered males in a group, for instance. It's only by having an enormous database with all the permutations that they stand any chance of matching up cause and effect and seeing what factors may have an impact on bunny health and wellbeing :) There will always be buns who are just a bit 'special' and whose conditions are nothing to do with the way they are kept, but there are also plenty of instances where it is, or could be the case - and that's what they are trying to determine. Should be interesting :)

You're right. Thanks. :)

Back