• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues Rehoming Policy on Rabbits 'exposed' to VHD U/D Response from Rescue

Just thought they may also have some rabbits in foster who haven't been exposed - that could also explain why some would be at risk and others not.

Response from the rescue:

Hello sorry for the loss of your rabbit, we would love to help you find a new companion for summer. We had VHD2 confirmed via post mortem on one of our rabbits and following advice from our vet are homing any rabbit that was ill at that time as an only rabbit, this includes to ones who are already vaccinated as there is currently not a vaccine against this second strain of VHD. We generally advise people keep rabbits with companions however in the case of these rabbits unfortunately are no longer able to do that.

In terms of rabbits suitable as a companion for you we have only one single male at the moment, a young adult called ‘chilly’. We have just added him to the website but don’t know a lot of details on him yet due to him coming in as a stray. I’m afraid we don’t currently have any older single rabbits suitable. Thank you for your enquiry.

At least they're following vet advice. I have sent them the extract from your (Jane's) initial post on the RVHD2 vaccination thread and informed them that I have queried the import of this vaccination with our vet so hopefully with them and me requesting it our vet will look at importing it.

I think I will look at the other rescue and pursue the older bunnies I have seen there but I do like that this rescue is being responsible for the sake of the bunnies. I guess it's possible it could change if the new vaccination availability increases.

I think this is a very sensible approach :)

How sad to learnt that they have a confirmed case though ...

If I were you, I would look elsewhere for the time being, but as was suggested, them pairing up the 'exposed' rabbits might be a good move to give them companionship they otherwise will never get.

Evening all

Well just thought I would update. Had a call from my lovely vet this evening but unfortunately I missed it. However, she left a message to say she was sorry to hear about Winter. She also said that she was making some enquiries about the RVHD2 vaccine and hoping to get hold of it for the surgery and would have an update for me after I return from my holiday (off skiing next week). She didn't mention anything about the rescue but I can speak to her about that when I get back.

In the mean time I will be looking to rescue a bunny from another rescue on my return from hols and if I need to get them vaccinated with the additional vaccine myself I will do.

Thanks for all your contributions and I will keep you posted on the rescue, vaccine and new bunny.

Many thanks

Evening all

Well just thought I would update. Had a call from my lovely vet this evening but unfortunately I missed it. However, she left a message to say she was sorry to hear about Winter. She also said that she was making some enquiries about the RVHD2 vaccine and hoping to get hold of it for the surgery and would have an update for me after I return from my holiday (off skiing next week). She didn't mention anything about the rescue but I can speak to her about that when I get back.

In the mean time I will be looking to rescue a bunny from another rescue on my return from hols and if I need to get them vaccinated with the additional vaccine myself I will do.

Thanks for all your contributions and I will keep you posted on the rescue, vaccine and new bunny.

Many thanks

Thank you - looking forward to your updates!

Hope you have a lovely holiday skiing :D

Back