• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues- Dont Give Up

Really good thread Jane :thumb:

For those of you who run rabbit rescues please don't give up. What you do is priceless and although there's a lot of frustration and at times it can be very hard, you do so much good and help so many. Although there are lots of people who don't rescue, there are lots who do and appreciate and understand what you all do and support you in that. Please don't give up - the bunnies need you more than ever

Very true, even if I wish it were not.

All my bunsters are rescue bunnies, wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm sure that they know as well, as they give you so much love back as though they realise that they have a second chance.:love:

What a lovely post, thank you Jane. As a piggy rescue I have to say it feels a bit like wading through treacle at times, so many coming in but very few going out to their new forever homes.:(

Another sign of the times is the lack of clients in the vets waiting room. My vet is brilliant and the reception girls always try to squeeze us in on the same day whenever possible, but recently I've been offered numerous same day appointments with our piggy savvy vet - something that never happened in the past.

I run a fairly new rescue in the SE but I can fully understand why some well established rescues are questioning whether they can carry on.:(

As many of you know I run a sanctuary, I do rescue and have been involved in some pretty horrendous ones, many of them breeders, some may remember the Birmingham 64, 64 male and female rabbits living in 4 four foot hutches, none of them neutered, the injuries were so horrific that 22 had to be PTS'd on the spot

I am sure everyone remembers Lily-Hope, yet another breeder, she was in a dreadful condition when she was rescued, she had 3 breaks in one back leg and her other back leg had been broken several times and had fused on one position so she was unable to use it, she had been starved, she really broke our hearts and to rub salt in to the wound we were so very badly let down by the RSPCA

That's just a couple, there are many, many more

I love what I do, getting a rabbit in and being able to help it is wonderful, you all know about beautiful Pricess Brie and her success story, but I would love not to have to do it but that is not possible because we have so many selfish, self centred people who really don't give a stuff about the animals and that goes for people who buy from pet shops too

Don't be fooled, there are no 'responsible' breeders, they are just out to make money without a care or thought for the animals they abuse, nobody responsible would breed animals knowing the state this country is in with homeless and abandoned animals, but do they care.....not on your life

But what really upsets me is the people that come on this forum bragging about their latest purchase from a pet shop or the latest litter they have bred, yes, I know it's a forum for all rabbit people but when there are daily threads about rescues inundated with calls, emails and messages from thoughtless people wanting to dump their animals, about the daily struggle to finance the unpaid work they do, the heartbreaking rescues they go out on, you would think that they would at least think before they rub the rescue owners noses in it wouldn't you

I struggle every day with the work that I do for bunnies, the finacial side is crippling us but we have to carry on, we need more rescues not less, please, please support rescues, every little bit counts, I am not talking money, sometimes it's a real boost just to get a 'well done'

Rescues are bursting at the seams, the owners are drained from the relentless requests to take in more bunnies, piggies and small furries, you can do your bit, if rescues go under what happens then, do you think one of these selfish breeders would help? ummm I think not, please think before you 'buy' your next animal from a shop or a breeder

Last edited:
But what really upsets me is the people that come on this forum bragging about their latest purchase from a pet shop or the latest litter they have bred, yes, I know it's a forum for all rabbit people but when there are daily threads about rescues inundated with calls, emails and messages from thoughtless people wanting to dump their animals, about the daily struggle to finance the unpaid work they do, the heartbreaking rescues they go out on, you would think that they would at least think before they rub the rescue owners noses in it wouldn't you

I struggle every day with the work that I do for bunnies, the finacial side is crippling us but we have to carry on, we need more rescues not less, please, please support rescues, every little bit counts, I am not talking money, sometimes it's a real boost just to get a 'well done'

Rescues are bursting at the seams, the owners are drained from the relentless requests to take in more bunnies, piggies and small furries, you can do your bit, if rescues go under what happens then, do you think one of these selfish breeders would help? ummm I think not, please think before you 'buy' your next animal from a shop or a breeder

I agree with this it must be soul destroying :(

I totally take my hat to all involved in rescue.... It must be so hard, and also very frustrating when you see so many bunnies being bought from pet shops when so many are in rescue :(
I applaud you all and I for one look at my six and thank God for rescues, where would they be now without them :(

All six of mine are from rescue , my latest is only five month old, with the added benefit of being vacc and neutered.... :D

Excellent thread Jane.:thumb:

If I didn't need to work for a living, I gladly donate all my time to help the rescues and or sanctuaries.

They do such fantastic work, through thick and thin. My total admiration goes to them all.:thumb:

I fully support rescues, 100%. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to take on any more than 2 rabbits at the moment and thankfully N&T are in great health so I don't anticipate needing to any time soon (fingers crossed!). I also don't have any spare money or much spare time currently, so I don't know how to support rescues other than trying to spread the message and raise awareness :(

I fully support rescues, 100%. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to take on any more than 2 rabbits at the moment and thankfully N&T are in great health so I don't anticipate needing to any time soon (fingers crossed!). I also don't have any spare money or much spare time currently, so I don't know how to support rescues other than trying to spread the message and raise awareness :(
Don't feel bad for that though just telling one person about rescue could help

Great thread Jane :thumb:

I have always been pro rescue, its my vocation in a way. I just wish I could do more to help or even set up my own rescue. In the meantime I will keep adopting/donating when I can.

this is a brilliant thread. I really wonder how some of you manage to do it, and fit in everything else in your lives as well. It must be so hard to keep going, especially when you know there is going to be more mess to clear up than you can ever hope to deal with. You are all amazing.:love::love:

Back