• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued Bun - Unsure of what to do next for him - lonely?

Bicky123

Young Bun
Hi all

About a month ago I rescued an abandoned rabbit from my town. I noticed on social media that this bun was seen hopping around - but nobody had taken an interest in finding him, but taunted about the rabbit being run over or killed. It was horrific. I waited for updates on the little man, and it was on my mind.
In the early hours of a Monday morning, I checked the post on social media again. Apparently, he was seen just an hour earlier! I got out of bed (3:30) and picked up my pet carrier and went out to find him.
As I approached the road they said he was last seen on, I noticed a group of cats lingering, and was instantly filled with dread. The part of my town I was in was also notoriously "rough" but all I could think about was this poor bun!!
I was on the phone to by partner after about half and hour of searching, thinking there was no hope, when I saw him munching on some grass by the side of the road! My heart leapt for joy.
I followed the bun for another half an hour, trying to trap him. I had to chase off cats along the way and it had come very close to him being taken.
The rabbit made a wrong turn into an alleyway, was spooked and turned, and ran straight into my carrier.
I was ecstatic!!

When I got home and made up a bed / hay / water etc for him I noticed something wrong with his eye. I feared myxi and so kept him away from my buns and thoroughly washed everything. Next morning I took him to the vets, sad, thinking that they would put him to sleep.
Luckily, it wasn't myxi, but this bun had been blinded by a wound long healed wrong due to ill-treatment. Poor baby. It was then that I decided to keep him and nurse him (he is now called Onzi). For a few days it was touch and go, he would not eat/poop/drink. I tried syringe feeding him, and he was taking in some Fibreplex. Gradually, Onzi was recovering from his stress and began munching and pooping much to my relief. I had a closer look at him and he was covered in scratches, mostly on his ears.
I had contacted the RSPCA for them to rescue him, but they told me that they would probably PTS, so there was no way I could let him go.

Now, Onzi is loving life! He is such a character and although I can see how timid his is toward humans, he is really coming out of his shell and coming for loves.

My problem now is, finding him another bun!! We guess him to be quite old, judging by his old-looking good eye and general body shape, but we just don't know his past! I don't want Onzi being lonely, but I also do not wish to bond if he is going to die sooner rather than later, and deal with a grieving bun to bond with another rabbit. Also, I still don't know if he is male, or if he has been neutered - not got that far yet.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Thanks

Well done for rescuing him and giving him a chance :thumb:. It takes some dedication to go out at 3.30am hunting for a stray bunny!!

I'd start by taking him to the vet and establishing whether he is actually a he or a she. Then you need to consider if you want to get into the cycle of 'bond bunny/bunny dies/left with single bunny/bond bunny/bunny dies.........' etc etc. If you don't then it may be worth trying to find him a home with another bunny because I feel every bunny deserves the chance to have company of their own kind, even if only for a short time. Some bunnies are content with human company and a very few just won't accept bunny company at all, but they're few and far between.

If you're considering getting him a partner then you're going to need to get him neutered. If it's a female then neutering is recommended whether you're going to get a partner or not due to the high risk of uterine cancer.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and we'd love to see some pictures :D.

Hi

wat a lovely tale!

we found our beloved soul bun Parsley just like that

I would:

take him to a good exotics/rabbit savvy vet to have him checked over and also sexed

I would then wait a week or so for him to gain a better immune system (with your good care) and then have him vaccinated (vital! but most effective when his immune system up and running again)

Then depending on vets verdict I would arrange neutering - if he is a she and has not been neutered and is older than this will be vital asap

Then leave some time for him/her to recover and get more trusting etc before considering a friend for him/her!!

Looks like I replied exactly same time as Mackers!!!

Hi Mackers and parsnipbun

Thanks so much for your replies!
I feel that Onzi is a boy but cannot assume and his urine is fairly pungent and clean him a lot so perhaps not neutered.

Mackers, I think I should go through the bonding cycle as you are completely right about rabbits needing rabbit company - it may take a while to sort whilst Onzi is getting medical care and hopefully neutering but it's worth seeing them happy :) I love rabbits so my time is completely dedicated to them, and I know that I can choose to go through the bond/rabbit does cycle for their welfare needs.

This is Onzi! He currently lives indoors with large cage and pen to run round in but also comes out for daily loves. We are currently building a bunny paradise under the sheltered pergola outside :)
6eqydu2y.jpg

sy5emema.jpg

nu8atu3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww :love: what a lovely story, well done for rescuing him :love: you've been given great advice already too :thumb:

Thank you very much - though I think everyone on this forum deserves a big hug for everything they do for rabbits and for their owners! Will update as soon as I have got Onzi to the vet - he's just come running over now I am sure he knows ;) x

:love:... Well done you!!!! I cant imagine how scared you must have been at that time of Night but put into context how scared he must have been,,

I am so pleased he has found you

All the very very best to you all an noserubs to Onzi... X

Fee xx

What a lovely story. Well done for rescuing him. The RSPCA should be ashamed of themselves.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? It might be worth posting up to find a decent vet to take him/her to.

When you say you have to clean him a lot, is it poo or pee you are cleaning off him? If this is the case then it is even more important to get him to a vet to make sure he doesn't have something going on.

Fee, thanks that is very kind. I was scared but the adrenaline kept me out looking for him - in honesty most people think that's mad but they see why I did it 😄 I'm glad he is with me I'm not sure if I completely believe in fate but if I hadn't gone out that night it wouldn't have been right.
Thanks also Vegan_Bunny! Yes I went to the RSPCA for advice I guess they didn't want the expense of caring for a damaged bun 😞
My vet isn't too rabbit savvy no to be honest - my first bun died after an op with them which may completely not be their fault but there was also no after care after op. So that's a great idea, thank you 😄
Ah sorry I meant I clean his cage quite a lot but I'm like that with my other buns too! His general health seems good - claws a bit too long perhaps but he has a great appetite! 😀

Thanks both x

Fee, thanks that is very kind. I was scared but the adrenaline kept me out looking for him - in honesty most people think that's mad but they see why I did it  I'm glad he is with me I'm not sure if I completely believe in fate but if I hadn't gone out that night it wouldn't have been right.
Thanks also Vegan_Bunny! Yes I went to the RSPCA for advice I guess they didn't want the expense of caring for a damaged bun 
My vet isn't too rabbit savvy no to be honest - my first bun died after an op with them which may completely not be their fault but there was also no after care after op. So that's a great idea, thank you 
Ah sorry I meant I clean his cage quite a lot but I'm like that with my other buns too! His general health seems good - claws a bit too long perhaps but he has a great appetite! 

Thanks both x

Post in rabbit chat with the title "Rabbit Savvy Vet in ......" and where you live. Somebody should be able to help you as long as you live in the U.K. :thumb:

Onzi house update building a large two tier hutch with all the luxuries!!
zyryne5y.jpg

Also built huge run for him too the next stop is to neuter and find him the perfect girl to share it all with <

ryjavuvu.jpg

Onzi looks quite small and very cute :love:

You are so very kind to get him, and clever too as it must be one of the most difficult things to trap a rabbit!

His hutch looks super. I would take your time letting him settle in, after having a thorough check from a good vet, who can also estimate his age.
He has a lot to look forward too ... :D

He is quite small well medium sized I think he may be crossed with a Nethie. It was very hard to catch him I didn't believe it but I'm glad I did he's just beautiful - a very special lad.
Good idea. I'd like to get an idea of how old he is and his general health - the first time I took him the vet said his overall health was okay but his diet was lacking in fibre. I just forgot to ask his age then!! I was too worried about his eye.

He's been having introductions to the run and he really enjoys the outdoors running around 😄 so I will be happy when it's all finished. He currently lives indoors and I know that is not to his taste!

What a fabulous story & well done you. I hope that you, Onzi & his future wife have a wonderful life together

Thank you so much ! We have almost finished his hutch and run it is fab! Hopefully very soon I can adopt him a new friend :) I hope that the rest of his life is as happy as can be, even if it may be short (hopefully not though!) :)

Back