• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue bunnies as single rabbits.

Speaking from a rescue point of view, we would not rehome a rabbit on it's own because we believe they need the company of another rabbit to be truely happy. Hopefully this will be strengthened when the rabbit codes of practice come out as I am pretty sure it is going to advise that rabbits should be given company of their own species.

We basically have to fight the bad practice of years gone by when it was considered ok to keep a rabbit on it's own outside. I think some rabbits can be ok as house rabbits, but it never compares to them being with another rabbit.

The only exception is where the rabbit will not bond with another rabbit due to aggression, or through health issues. We are just about to rehome Bramble as a single house bunny. It's a shame but being as he came in with a bad case of Snuffles, there isn't much else we can do.

We won't rehome our older bunnies singley, even if they have lived alone all their lives. For example, Jessie, a 5 year old Dutch we have will go with a neutered male. Why shouldn't she be given the same chance for companionship and the chance to bond as any other rabbit? Why should she not have those same rights just because her previous owners were ignorant. In my opinion, because a rabbit has had to live a solitary life in the past doesn't make it right to continue that for them.

As for rabbits missing out on a good home, if I had a pound for everytime I'd heard that :lol: The rabbits are here until they find the right home. I could rehome them to the wrong homes over and over and people always insist we have missed out on a good home, but if that was the case they wouldn't still be here would they!

Edit to say that we rehome single buns out to people who have one they want to bond it to, no idea why some rescues insist on only rehoming bonded pairs. So many people want a companion for an exisiting rabbit that you really are losing good homes there.

Last edited:
Speaking from a rescue point of view, we would not rehome a rabbit on it's own because we believe they need the company of another rabbit to be truely happy. Hopefully this will be strengthened when the rabbit codes of practice come out as I am pretty sure it is going to advise that rabbits should be given company of their own species.

We basically have to fight the bad practice of years gone by when it was considered ok to keep a rabbit on it's own outside. I think some rabbits can be ok as house rabbits, but it never compares to them being with another rabbit.

The only exception is where the rabbit will not bond with another rabbit due to aggression, or through health issues. We are just about to rehome Bramble as a single house bunny. It's a shame but being as he came in with a bad case of Snuffles, there isn't much else we can do.

We won't rehome our older bunnies singley, even if they have lived alone all their lives. For example, Jessie, a 5 year old Dutch we have will go with a neutered male. Why shouldn't she be given the same chance for companionship and the chance to bond as any other rabbit? Why should she not have those same rights just because her previous owners were ignorant. In my opinion, because a rabbit has had to live a solitary life in the past doesn't make it right to continue that for them.

As for rabbits missing out on a good home, if I had a pound for everytime I'd heard that :lol: The rabbits are here until they find the right home. I could rehome them to the wrong homes over and over and people always insist we have missed out on a good home, but if that was the case they wouldn't still be here would they!

Edit to say that we rehome single buns out to people who have one they want to bond it to, no idea why some rescues insist on only rehoming bonded pairs. So many people want a companion for an exisiting rabbit that you really are losing good homes there.

Well said :thumb:

Thanks, you've given me good food for thought. Reading these posts is helping me loads, and I think we really need to give ours a friend. Bertie is going to stay at a rescue/boarding next week, if he makes a friend there, we may be coming home with 2 :D

Back