• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue/breeder/p@h - opinions please

They were links talking about the grant, so not at all selective. The one other rabbit rescue got £250 for books.

Lets face it though there are lots of animal rescues and not enough money to go around - sometimes I think animals should be licensed. :?

Here is one of the rescues to benefit from the scheme. I'm not sure if these pictures were taken before or after the grant.
[Links removed by admin]

But in all fairness, I think this might be another one
PACT Animal Sanctuary

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and so did a dolphin rescue, several horse sanctuaries, dog and cat rescues etc, but all I'm saying, is by supporting the adoption scheme, you are supporting rescues like the one I linked to.

But you picked only one that looks bad. Not fair on the adoption scheme and like I said before they could be old pics, the site looks like it needs a revamp from someone who knows what they are doing - however saying that I would rather they cared for the rabbits. I know of a local rabbit rescue that looks awful, but the rabbits are well cared for and have old but clean hutches.

But you picked only one that looks bad. Not fair on the adoption scheme and like I said before they could be old pics, the site looks like it needs a revamp from someone who knows what they are doing - however saying that I would rather they cared for the rabbits. I know of a local rabbit rescue that looks awful, but the rabbits are well cared for and have old but clean hutches.

There was ONLY one other rabbit rescue. I actually didn't post the pictures I considered the worst. Whether the pictures were taken today, or 20 years ago, is immaterial (they were from last year when the grant was given) the conditions are dreadful. Would you leave your rabbit there, while you went on holiday? If you're ok with money raised from adoptions being used to keep a place like that open thats fine. I'm not.

Fair enough if someone takes an animal from a pet shop that they can't sell for whatever reason but so long as money exchanges hands then it's not a rescue it's a sale.

Well I'd like to think that the 3 rabbit's that we bought from a pet shop due to needing veterinary treatment would be classed as a rescue instead of a sale. :(

If you're ok with money raised from adoptions being used to keep a place like that open thats fine. I'm not.

My point exactly - each to there own!

Would you leave your rabbit there, while you went on holiday?

We are discussing 'rescue' not boarding

There was ONLY one other rabbit rescue

There are other rescues besides rabbits, they looked good.

the conditions are dreadful

The most important thing is, are the rabbits cared for? probably. Someone that starts a rescue - does care.

**Please do not post links to or information about websites or products with the sole purpose of criticizing or attacking them.**

I have removed links to the rescue mentioned.

My point exactly - each to there own!

Absolutely. We obviously have different opinions.

We are discussing 'rescue' not boarding

True, but I judge by asking myself, would I be happy for my rabbits to live there. I give EXACTLY the same level of care to rabbits I foster, as I give to my own. If I couldn't offer that, I wouldn't do it.

There are other rescues besides rabbits, they looked good.

The adoption scheme is funded by the sale (adoption) of small mammals. The two rabbit charities received a total of £750, from a grant fund in excess of £20,000.
Seems a little unfair to me that income raised from the adoption of rabbits, GP's etc, is doing very little to help them.

The most important thing is, are the rabbits cared for? probably. Someone that starts a rescue - does care.

Yes, but caring alone isn't enough.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Well I'd like to think that the 3 rabbit's that we bought from a pet shop due to needing veterinary treatment would be classed as a rescue instead of a sale. :(

I would say so. I had to pay to get Jasmine and Daphne out of that awful shop and I wasn't happy about it at the time but I don't regret it. They needed to be out of there asap. They were being sold as rescue rabbits, four years old, heavily overweight, had sticky bums and had been brought in as a bonded pair, but separated and classed as 'male/female'. Had this been true (obviously I didn't know at the time if they were male/female), someone could have been sold a pregnant bun. The only hutches in that pet shop were about 2ft or 3ft long, and they would probably have been bought to house one or both of them. I reported the pet shop and tried to get it closed down, and although it didn't happen and I was essentially branded a timewaster and a liar, they have improved conditions in there as a result so I do think I made a difference.

It does show the pet shop's lack of knowledge - even I can sex a four year old rabbit, and I think the only reason they said Jasmine was male was because she was humping Daphne.

I think like most things, each case has to be looked at differently, and sometimes you form an emotional connection with a rabbit, for example in a breeders or a pet shop, and you know you have to get them out of there. It might not be 'right' but sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

Last edited:

This is where it gets tricky. Technically, by removing these buns (although they needed medical treatment) space is created for more buns to come in. So it isn't a "sale" (unless money is exchanged) but then not really what I would classify as a "rescue" as it helps these three buns but doesn't really help buns overall (because more buns are bred to fill the gaps left by these buns). I hope that makes sense - and I don't want to upset anyone. :)

This is where it gets tricky. Technically, by removing these buns (although they needed medical treatment) space is created for more buns to come in. So it isn't a "sale" (unless money is exchanged) but then not really what I would classify as a "rescue" as it helps these three buns but doesn't really help buns overall (because more buns are bred to fill the gaps left by these buns). I hope that makes sense - and I don't want to upset anyone. :)

If P@H didnt do the 'adoption' for 'regular' (uninformed) people / families where would the buns had ended up? in a bucket? in the wild? etc....

P@H is accessible.

If P@H didnt do the 'adoption' for 'regular' (uninformed) people / families where would the buns had ended up? in a bucket? in the wild? etc....

P@H is accessible.

Pets at Home adoption isn't the same as buying a baby rabbit from their normal sale section. Any money 'donated' via adoption goes to good causes, not Pets at Home sales figures.

I have no issues about people getting a rabbit via Pets at Home adoption...because animals DO benefit from your payment.

However I do have strong reservations about some Pets at Home stores who just fill the adoption section with unsold 'stock'. AFAIK my local Pets at Home store doesn't do this because I have never seen a young rabbit in their adoption cages...although I don't go in there very often, so couldn't say this with 100% certainty

I would say so. I had to pay to get Jasmine and Daphne out of that awful shop and I wasn't happy about it at the time but I don't regret it. They needed to be out of there asap. They were being sold as rescue rabbits, four years old, heavily overweight, had sticky bums and had been brought in as a bonded pair, but separated and classed as 'male/female'. Had this been true (obviously I didn't know at the time if they were male/female), someone could have been sold a pregnant bun. The only hutches in that pet shop were about 2ft or 3ft long, and they would probably have been bought to house one or both of them. I reported the pet shop and tried to get it closed down, and although it didn't happen and I was essentially branded a timewaster and a liar, they have improved conditions in there as a result so I do think I made a difference.

It does show the pet shop's lack of knowledge - even I can sex a four year old rabbit, and I think the only reason they said Jasmine was male was because she was humping Daphne.

I think like most things, each case has to be looked at differently, and sometimes you form an emotional connection with a rabbit, for example in a breeders or a pet shop, and you know you have to get them out of there. It might not be 'right' but sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

This is how i felt with Max. I watched him for 6 months miserable and lonely in a tiny tank with nowhere to hide and nothing to play with. He weed himself when the shop assistant chased him around the tank then scruffed him.
I didnt want another bun, I knew it would be costly, time consuming and stressful for me what with neutering, vaccs, bonding etc but Wrong or right i
HAD to get him out of there :oops:

P@H is accessible.

you've again brought back my point, accessibility and exposure. It's horrible, but its the way it is :(

I don't have a resolution, as The Duchess says, and i quote;

I don't know what the answer is, except to try and get people to adopt from rescues rather than buy (in the short term) and make good solid welfare plans for the long term.

How do you try and get people to adopt from rescues, rather than buy?

People who buy rabbits from pet shops, do it because the initial outlay is fairly low and location is convenient.

Pet shop;
  • Rabbit - £25
  • Hutch - £50-75 (for one too small, in our opinion)
  • Food/Bedding - £0-10 (often bundled in with the hutch with dangerous toys, e.g, corn on the cob thing)

They will NOT have them neutered/spayed/vaccinated, as they aren't told/informed it should be done.

Rescue;
  • Rabbit - £~50 (already partially or fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered)
  • Hutch - To get a good sized hutch, expect to pay upwards of £150-200 (someone without any DIY skills etc) Then you have to buy a run, again, maybe another £100+.
  • Food/Bedding - Depends where you buy from, but approx same cost as pet store
  • Additional requirement of certain housing and home checks

Without the knowledge you have now, where would you go?

As i said before, i can't fix this, it's an opinionated thing. Until a law / license is required to own a pet etc, nothing will change and its awful.

Also, as said before, i'm **** at writing, so apologies if this feels offensive/obstructive in any way.
[*]

Pets at Home adoption isn't the same as buying a baby rabbit from their normal sale section. Any money 'donated' via adoption goes to good causes, not Pets at Home sales figures.

I have no issues about people getting a rabbit via Pets at Home adoption...because animals DO benefit from your payment.

However I do have strong reservations about some Pets at Home stores who just fill the adoption section with unsold 'stock'. AFAIK my local Pets at Home store doesn't do this because I have never seen a young rabbit in their adoption cages...although I don't go in there very often, so couldn't say this with 100% certainty

I have said this.. my too were 9 weeks old from an unwanted litter, the mother came from a so called rescue.

I know where the adoption money goes. It helps all types of animals, not just rabbits.

I guess I must be really lucky with our P@H - never seen un sold stock, unwell rabbits, mostly its empty :D - they even tell you that you should jab and neuter your rabbit.

you've again brought back my point, accessibility and exposure. It's horrible, but its the way it is :(

People who buy rabbits from pet shops, do it because the initial outlay is fairly low and location is convenient.

Pet shop;
  • Rabbit - £25
  • Food/Bedding - £0-10 (often bundled in with the hutch with dangerous toys, e.g, corn on the cob thing)

They will NOT have them neutered/spayed/vaccinated, as they aren't told/informed it should be done.

Rescue;
  • Hutch - To get a good sized hutch, expect to pay upwards of £150-200 (someone without any DIY skills etc) Then you have to buy a run, again, maybe another £100+.

As i said before, i can't fix this, it's an opinionated thing. Until a law / license is required to own a pet etc, nothing will change and its awful.

Also, as said before, i'm **** at writing, so apologies if this feels offensive/obstructive in any way.
[*]

Sounds terrible but people always want a bargain :?:?

Pet shop;
  • Rabbit - £25

Rescue;

[*]

I agree with this. Unfortunately we are in the minority, and I think that us boycotting places won't really make a difference :( sad but true. Especially as the things we would buy from P@H or another pet shop, e.g. a £3 bag of hay, or a rabbit we were concerned about for £20, is nothing compared to the £100+ misinformed people spend buying a rabbit and a too-small hutch. I'm not saying this is right, but it is the way it is.

When I got my rabbits I thought every word uttered by a P@H employee or any vet (didn't even know a rabbit-savvy vet existed) was true. I wasn't even aware that rescues took rabbits, let alone that some rescues are entirely devoted to bunnies.

I think we'll have more luck trying to change things by reporting bad pet shops, writing to companies, making sure the right leaflets and literature are available, and probably most important, writing to MPs to try and get the laws changed. Until the laws change we're pretty powerless :(

I don't agree with pet shops now I know all I know, and would always try and get rescue, but I got Lucy as a 'new' bunny from P@H because I fell in love with her. I know it wasn't a rescue, I bought her I didn't adopt her.

I would love to see all pet shops banned from selling animals, and all bad breeders shut down. I try and avoid pet shops that sell animals. But I just don't think us boycotting is enough to make a difference :( I wish it was.

Back