• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue/breeder/p@h - opinions please

No, it's got nothing to do with an individual's perception...it's just mis-use of the word RESCUE :lol:

Yes, but I DO think that in RARE cases a rescue from petshops IS an accurate description. If a pet shop bun is bought because it is in clear need of veterinary attention for example, as has already been mentioned by someone else.

I certainly don't think the term 'rescue' should be used in assosiation with pet shops in ordinary circumstances :)

Of course a 'rescue' bun would be the first choice but often people come across other buns in need....since I got Oscar from Fat Fluffs I have said Rescue...but then a few weeks ago I was in a pet shop..with a 5month old bun in a vavarium type set up...been there since young...she was a chunk and had unusual markings and for that reason was over looked :roll: it played on my mind so the day after I went and got her.
Took her to the vets for a check, she lacked muscle in her hind legs...because of her enclosure. I believe I rescued her.
She is now part of a happy trio. :love:

Yes, but I DO think that in RARE cases a rescue from petshops IS an accurate description. If a pet shop bun is bought because it is in clear need of veterinary attention for example, as has already been mentioned by someone else.

Fair enough if someone takes an animal from a pet shop that they can't sell for whatever reason but so long as money exchanges hands then it's not a rescue it's a sale.

No, it's got nothing to do with an individual's perception...it's just mis-use of the word RESCUE :lol:

Would you include in this statement then, the rabbits for sale in the adoption centre? Some of these have been handed into P@H by owners who cannot keep them. Is this not rescue? and surely every bun has the right to have a chance of a good home. Is that not why we are all here?:?:? We may all have are own opinions on how this can be best achieved and it is absolutely right that we should all have our own opinions. I believe that the best way forward, if you don't like something is to complain and then work with (in this case with the company) to improve the situation. I think alienating people is unhelpful, destructive and achieves absolutely nothing.

Would you include in this statement then, the rabbits for sale in the adoption centre? Some of these have been handed into P@H by owners who cannot keep them. Is this not rescue? and surely every bun has the right to have a chance of a good home. Is that not why we are all here?:?:? We may all have are own opinions on how this can be best achieved and it is absolutely right that we should all have our own opinions. I believe that the best way forward, if you don't like something is to complain and then work with (in this case with the company) to improve the situation. I think alienating people is unhelpful, destructive and achieves absolutely nothing.

some of the rabbits in the 'adoption' part are old stock that p@h cant sell:evil:

I'm really rubbish at voicing opinions, so my writing isn't doing what i'm think any favours, please take that into account.

Now i've found RU, i would never have bought a bunny from a pet shop / garden centre, i would not change Biscuit for the world however.

BUT i think one large problem is (and please don't send a rain of fire at me!) that rescue's are in no way 'available/accessible' to people to see. Petshops, P@H Advertise, Garden Centre's advertise as they are almost always large companies who can. I only knew of the RSPCA, which in my mind, only did cats/dogs.

I had never even heard about a rabbit rescue until i found RU, so i think the issue is often exposure.

I don't however have a solution, it's an opinion, as per the request of the OP.

I do think it's very sad, that for every 'bought' rabbit, another poor Rescue Rabbit is sat there waiting for a forever home and yet another poor doe / buck are in a small hutch in effect being a breeding machine :(

I agree with all of that.

If I had know about rescues I would have had my first bun form one. The only thing that worries me about not using a pet shop though is that more pets would be dumped if the pet shops are full and won't take them. My Bracken was found with about 10 or 12 others on a bit of land beside a road hopping down holes and over the road, a woman found them on her way home. I hate to think of what could have happened to him/did happen to the ones which weren't picked up.

I agree with all of that.

If I had know about rescues I would have had my first bun form one. The only thing that worries me about not using a pet shop though is that more pets would be dumped if the pet shops are full and won't take them. My Bracken was found with about 10 or 12 others on a bit of land beside a road hopping down holes and over the road, a woman found them on her way home. I hate to think of what could have happened to him/did happen to the ones which weren't picked up.

I can't imagine that too many pet shops take in unwanted rabbits - it's down to the rescues normally to pick up the pieces.

And, besides this, many rabbits that are dumped are due to unexpected litters (normally due to missexing by the retailer), or kids got bored when bought on a whim - so there would be less rabbits being dumped or given up if rabbits were not easily available from any source. People who are not commited to the care of the animal won't bother to work too hard to source one so they just wouldn't bother haivng them in the first place and that would end up meaning less being dumped or given up surely?

Uhmmm. I know what you are saying Duchess. But isn't it the ones who don't really think about the welfare of animals who wouldn't be bothered to find out about the options of re-homing, in that it would be too much trouble. Unless they know of a rescue or someone who would take the animal off their hands.

As Graham and I both said we didn't know about them before. x

Uhmmm. I know what you are saying Duchess. But isn't it the ones who don't really think about the welfare of animals who wouldn't be bothered to find out about the options of re-homing, in that it would be too much trouble. Unless they know of a rescue or someone who would take the animal off their hands.

As Graham and I both said we didn't know about them before. x

No and neither did I. Our first pair or rabbits were free to a good home as an ad in our local newsagent window. I had no idea about rabbit keeping until I stumbled across rabbit rescues when I was looking for a duck rescue. I had no idea that there was a need for such things. I visited a local rescue and have never looked back.

So the point would be that the whole system needs to change and animals should only be available through reputable sources - however that could be managed. Sources (like rescues) where the person wanting the animal can only have it (rabbit or otherwise) once they've shown some commitment and knowledge. Just being able to buy an animal is the wrong way to do it.

I don't know what the answer is, except to try and get people to adopt from rescues rather than buy (in the short term) and make good solid welfare plans for the long term.

No and neither did I. Our first pair or rabbits were free to a good home as an ad in our local newsagent window. I had no idea about rabbit keeping until I stumbled across rabbit rescues when I was looking for a duck rescue. I had no idea that there was a need for such things. I visited a local rescue and have never looked back.

So the point would be that the whole system needs to change and animals should only be available through reputable sources - however that could be managed. Sources (like rescues) where the person wanting the animal can only have it (rabbit or otherwise) once they've shown some commitment and knowledge. Just being able to buy an animal is the wrong way to do it.

I don't know what the answer is, except to try and get people to adopt from rescues rather than buy (in the short term) and make good solid welfare plans for the long term.

Well said!:D

My main problem with pet shops and breeders is if we buy from them they get more bunnies and in theory are adding to the problem. All my bunnies are from rescues except Honey who was from a really good breeder. I think the only situation I would and have been tempted into getting a rabbit from a pet shop or freeadds is when they are ill. I have been in numerous pet shops and found ill rabbits :cry: I also nearly got a bunny in my town on a freeadds who had broken its leg and it had not had vet treatment :(

this always makes me chuckle when the latest pets at home rant pops up... i love going to pets at home myself but i dont go there anywhere near as much as people who claim to hate the place :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been to pets at home twice in 2010 and thats it because i generally get my supplies on line.

I went into my local one today as I was in the shop next door for work. I ended up crying quite loudly and had to leave. They have two giants in their that have been there for at least two months and it breaks my heart seeing them in that glass tank :(

Although P@H 'adoption' is not a rescue the money you pay is a donation and you can gift aid it - the money then goes towards animal welfare charities and local rehoming centres.

You hear so much 'bad' stuff about P@H - I think we actually have a good one. I would get another bun from there BUT I think 'petstores' could do more to raise awareness of how much a rabbit costs.

Although P@H 'adoption' is not a rescue the money you pay is a donation and you can gift aid it - the money then goes towards animal welfare charities and local rehoming centres.

Here is one of the rescues to benefit from the scheme. I'm not sure if these pictures were taken before or after the grant.

[Links removed by admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of the rescues to benefit from the scheme. I'm not sure if these pictures were taken before or after the grant.

[Links removed by admin]

Eeep...hopefully before! :shock:

AFAIK the Pets at Home grants really are kosher, and rescues do benefit....although I'm not sure how much follow up work they do to ensure that the money is spent correctly

[Links removed by admin]

Im not sure what the 'selective' links were for. We have no idea when the pics were taken.

You failed to include the other rabbit rescue.

I went into my local one today as I was in the shop next door for work. I ended up crying quite loudly and had to leave. They have two giants in their that have been there for at least two months and it breaks my heart seeing them in that glass tank :(

Well, if they have two giants in just a glass tank, then perhaps the attention of the pet shop operator should be drawn to the need to re-read the conditions in the shop's pet shop licence.

I do not know exactly which council covers this particular pet shop. However, the following Conditions from another Council's Pet Shop Licence are almost certain to be included.

No animal shall be stocked or sold unless the staff (or a member of the staff) is familiar with the care and welfare of that animal.

So, they should know all about what giants need - and provide it.

No animal shall be displayed in a cage, hutch, box or other receptacle in such a position that it can be interfered with by other animals or unauthorised persons.

I trust that the glass tanks do not afford the opportunity for customers to endlessly "bang" on them and thus "interfere" with the giant rabbits.

Im not sure what the 'selective' links were for. We have no idea when the pics were taken.

You failed to include the other rabbit rescue.

They were links talking about the grant, so not at all selective. The one other rabbit rescue got £250 for books.

Eeep...hopefully before! :shock:

AFAIK the Pets at Home grants really are kosher, and rescues do benefit....although I'm not sure how much follow up work they do to ensure that the money is spent correctly

Yep, I'm sure the grants are kosher, I just dont see the point of throwing £500 at a rescue who thinks those conditions are acceptable.

Back