• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue/breeder/p@h - opinions please

Pet shops work on supply & demand. If we don't buy from them, they stop supplying. It bugs me when people say they can't make a difference. It ALL makes a difference.

I would ALWAYS strongly advocate adopting buns from rescues, for all the reasons mentioned. And indeed all of mine have been rescues.
HOWEVER I recently got a bun from a pet shop. Hed been there for 7 months in a tiny cage on his own and when i eventually caved and asked about him i was told he was 'aggressive and unhandleable so nobody wants him.' Myself and my oh agonised for ages about him and eventually brought him home with us. On the slim chance that this bun had ever been adopted, he would have ended up in a rescue anyway.
I have felt very guiltly about it but now hes here amd blossoming i dont regret it atall. In this case I dont feel like i was adding to a problem as the hearest rescue to me is 5hrs drive away, and in a different country :shock:
If i was in England where the problem is far more rife however, i would never have brought from a petshop. I just had to help this boy :?

I agree, but then we get into the whole reputable rescue thing. Anyone can call themselves a rescue, and it seems to me it's becoming increasingly difficult to spot breeders passing off unwanted stock as rescues.

If you want to breed, deal with the results of your breeding, but don't pass your unwanted stock off as rescues, and put further strain on the limited resources available to the genuine, reputable rescuers.

Completely agree with this.

Unwanted/excess deliberately bred Rabbits are just that. Trying to claim that they are 'Rescues' is deceitful.

If the Rabbits are 'Free to good home' excess breeding 'stock' or retired breeding Rabbits that is how they should be advertised. Not as 'Rescues'.

I agree with always getting a rabbit from a rescue, was a fully fledged RU member BUT I still let my heart rule my head when I saw Louie in Pets at Home.

When you rescue an animal from a shelter you help two animals - the one you adopt and the one who can take their place and be rescued in turn.

When you buy from a petshop you make the situation worse as then another replaces the animal you brought. You may give the animal you buy a good home, but you don't know what happens to the next ones so it perpetuates the cycle.

Totally agree with this :)

One of the reasons we started our sanctuary was to help rescues by freeing up spaces that were being taken by hard to home/unrehomable bunnies. We always think that when we help one rescue bunny we are helping another 2 or 3 that will pass through the space our bunny would have sat in :)

Saying that we have helped free ad buns/ pets@home adoption buns but only when they have special needs that means leaving them where they are would cause them suffering. Don;t think we have ever taken a bunny directly from a breeder ourselves :?

I have no problem with buying a rabbit from a petshop. Are we not in fact rescuing another rabbit? Are we not giving a good home to a rabbit who might otherwise suffer some unknown fate?

Whether or not we like it, there will always be people who want to buy the new baby. Personally, I would now also consider a rescue bunny, but that is because I am me and we are all individuals. Some people (whether we like it or not), simply do not want to rescue. It's the same with all pets, cats dogs etc. etc.

As has been posted, we cannot save every rabbit, but I do believe all rabbits should have an equal right to finding a forever home. I don't think anyone should feel guilty about giving any rabbit a forever home, wherever it came from.

What is needed is far more constructive approach, where petshops will only ever be allowed to sell rabbits to suitably educated homes, who are prepared to buy/prove they have, at the same time, suitable (and I really mean suitable) housing and runs. Perhaps also , it's as simple as increasing the price paid for each rabbit. No offers (No buy one get one free or buy two at a discounted price) and instead of the ridiculously low prices charged at the moment, perhaps petshops could include the cost of vouchers only for the neutering/spaying and first year of vacinations with either an instore vet or local vet. This could increase the price paid for each pet to say £140/£150 per pet. This would no doubt make people stop and think, no longer is this the cheap pet, so easy to buy and so easy to discard. Someone might have £25 in their pocket but maybe not £150. Plus they have to cover the cost of housing or prove they already have suitable housing at the time of purchase.

The extra cost could not be used to increase the profits of the breeder or petshops because they would have to cover the cost of the vouchers for spaying/neutering and vaccinations. I think sales in pet shops would then drop dramatically and in turn less rabbits would be bred.

Of course, it won't solve the whole problem, I doubt there is any solution to the whole problem which ends with pets going into shelters, but it might help.

:oops: Sorry for the very long post:oops:

Last edited:
When you rescue an animal from a shelter you help two animals - the one you adopt and the one who can take their place and be rescued in turn.

When you buy from a petshop you make the situation worse as then another replaces the animal you brought. You may give the animal you buy a good home, but you don't know what happens to the next ones so it perpetuates the cycle.

But, if I saw a rescue rabbit advertised on here, that was a long where from my home, I could contact the "rescue", and they could ask anyone close to me to homecheck. If I passed that, transport could be arranged, and the rabbit brought to me, without anyone ever visiting the "rescue", and confirming it isn't just another breeder offloading.

There are many rescues working their butts off to make a difference to the lives of unwanted rabbits, and it infuriates me that unscrupulous people have seen the word rescue, as a way of shifting stock they don't want.

But, if I saw a rescue rabbit advertised on here, that was a long where from my home, I could contact the "rescue", and they could ask anyone close to me to homecheck. If I passed that, transport could be arranged, and the rabbit brought to me, without anyone ever visiting the "rescue", and confirming it isn't just another breeder offloading.

There are many rescues working their butts off to make a difference to the lives of unwanted rabbits, and it infuriates me that unscrupulous people have seen the word rescue, as a way of shifting stock they don't want.

I was talking about rescues that really are rescues. Probably the scenario that you're talking about does happen, but extremely rarely.

I have no problem with buying a rabbit from a petshop. Are we not in fact rescuing another rabbit? Are we not giving a good home to a rabbit who might otherwise suffer some unknown fate?

Whether or not we like it, there will always be people who want to buy the new baby. Personally, I would now also consider a rescue bunny, but that is because I am me and we are all individuals. Some people (whether we like it or not), simply do not want to rescue. It's the same with all pets, cats dogs etc. etc.

As has been posted, we cannot save every rabbit, but I do believe all rabbits should have an equal right to finding a forever home. I don't think anyone should feel guilty about giving any rabbit a forever home, wherever it came from.

What is needed is far more constructive approach, where petshops will only ever be allowed to sell rabbits to suitably educated homes, who are prepared to buy/prove they have, at the same time, suitable (and I really mean suitable) housing and runs. Perhaps also , it's as simple as increasing the price paid for each rabbit. No offers (No buy one get one free or buy two at a discounted price) and instead of the ridiculously low prices charged at the moment, perhaps petshops could include the cost of vouchers only for the neutering/spaying and first year of vacinations with either an instore vet or local vet. This could increase the price paid for each pet to say £140/£150 per pet. This would no doubt make people stop and think, no longer is this the cheap pet, so easy to buy and so easy to discard. Someone might have £25 in their pocket but maybe not £150. Plus they have to cover the cost of housing or prove they already have suitable housing at the time of purchase.

The extra cost could not be used to increase the profits of the breeder or petshops because they would have to cover the cost of the vouchers for spaying/neutering and vaccinations. I think sales in pet shops would then drop dramatically and in turn less rabbits would be bred.

Of course, it won't solve the whole problem, I doubt there is any solution to the whole problem which ends with pets going into shelters, but it might help.

:oops: Sorry for the very long post:oops:

I really cannot understand this at all. Given that just recently some RU members were involved in a massive rescue of Rabbits which had been endlessly bred from to supply the Petshop trade.

Take a look at this, then consider if there really is 'no problem' in buying from a Petshop and thus supporting a trade that causes endless suffering to Rabbits :cry:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=243370

I was talking about rescues that really are rescues. Probably the scenario that you're talking about does happen, but extremely rarely.

It DOES happen, and it is most definitely NOT rare. It is happening on this forum, right now.

Buying a rabbit or any animal from a pet shop can't really be deemed a "rescue" as you're giving your money to the pet shop and encouraging them to buy in more animals.

Pet shops themselves encourage animal cruelty by buying animals from rodent farms and mass breeders (I expect there are a few exceptions but they must be few and far between and certainly don't include the likes of P@H).

Buying from pet shops indirectly encourages animal cruelty. I've not bought an animal from a pet shop since I found this out and certainly would not do so in the future knowing what I know now. I got my first rabbit from someone who no longer wanted him and the second I got from a reputable rescue after asking advice on here and having them recommended to me.

Ours is a rescue bun.

I would like to see rescues become the "first option" for people seeking buns as pets for "forever homes" and not pet shops.

I appreciate all of the arguments about pet shops (including bad ones)feeding the demand for yet more rabbits from bad breeders.

Then, of course, there are the BYBs pouring out a virtual conveyor belt of new buns.

I have no knowledge of the "bunny mills" of the commercial breeders and what legislation/regulation applies to them.

I know that pet shops require pet shop licences, which are "supposed" to ensure adequate treatment for buns.

I know that BYBs have the "benefit" that basically exempts them from the need to have a pet shop licence even though they sell pets just like a pet shop:

A person shall not be deemed to keep a pet shop if they only keep or sell pedigree animals which are bred by him, or are the offspring of an animal kept as a pet.

No doubt all BYB "breeding stock" are "their pets".

I wonder if the following would contribute to a solution:

• Get pet shops to actually comply with the conditions set out in their licences. The numerous posts on RU on this topic clearly indicate that many are not. Some might then improve, get prosecuted or go out of business. This would only leave the better pet shops and might cut down the demand for buns.
  • Try to get the BYB "exemption" removed and require them to have pet shop licences if they sell more than a very small quantity. The need for a licence (which has to be paid for annually), inspections and the personal consequences of non-compliance might put off a number of BYBs.

The above might serve to reduce the "demand side" of the equation for yet more buns.

I'm happy to be corrected on any errors I might have made.

Just opinions - not trying to start a rant.

It DOES happen, and it is most definitely NOT rare. It is happening on this forum, right now.

If this has concerned you it would be a good idea to bring it up with the admin of the forum or on the topic itself.

EDIT: oops Mandy beat me to it.

I got Ben and Peter from P@H 'rescue' they were from an unwanted litter. But our pets at home list the additional cost to having a rabbit. Jabs and neuter/spay. Unfortunatly most people chose to ignore this. I bought my rabbits knowing exactly what I would have to pay.

TBH I have never really looked at rescue animals until will got our cat Stitch (and we have 2 more kittens on reserve:love::love::love:).

I also think some rescues (all rescues -cat, dog, not just rabbit - RSPCA being one of them) sometimes put too many hurdles in the way. A friend of mine wanted to adopt a cat and couldnt because she was in rented accomodation - but had a letter from the landlord saying she could have pets. Their reason..... because she 'might move'.

Saying that I'm off to a rescue next week..... dangerous :lol::lol::lol::love::love::love::love:

Tell one of the RU Gods

If you don't it can't be stopped

I have PM'd before of I've seen a breeder or possible breeder on RR, & it's been removed, or they have been contacted & interrogated!!

Heather was bought from a local pet shop, at the time, purely as a childrens bunny. But we soon learnt more about rabbits and found her a friend from a rescue. Now I would never buy from a pet shop.

By buying a pet shop bunny you are just freeing up space for another. When people stop buying rabbits from pet shops, that is when the pet shops will stop 'stocking' them, and therefore the breeders will stop breeding them :)

Back