• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

removal of molars

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Hi not sure if ive posted in the right section but no-one is viewing in diet at the mo! My bunny gizmo had 2 of his molar teeth removed today, he seems ok, ive fed him a couple of pellets and 2 of his fave carrot treats but do i need to do anything different with his food? ie chop it into smaller pieces, or give softer foods? Any info would be great thanks :)

Hi,
my old bunny had a molar removed right at the very back of his mouth cos it was loose. You shouldn't need to do anything different with your bun's food (as my fab rabbit savvy vet told me!) because rabbits usually do very well having had a molar or two removed.

Contrary to popular belief, they don't usually have a problem with the opposite tooth not wearing down due to the side-to-side and circular chewing action. It only may cause a problem if the two teeth your bunny had removed were side by side, cos obviously then the gap left would be twice the size, so the teeth above or below (depending whether the teeth removed were at the top or bottom) would have very little to wear on.

I would say have your rabbit's teeth checked every 8 weeks initially to ensure that they are wearing correctly.

Hope that helps and at the mo - just keep him eating. prob softer veg and dandelions would be better for him to eat until the inflammation and pain settle down, rather that carrots and brocolli etc.

Good luck!

Hiya thanks for your info. This is gona sound silly but i didnt think to ask where about the teeth were in his mouth! Was just so pleased to have him home :) Ok will give him greens, kale and cabbage tonight then!!

no prob!
The sooner your bun wll eat hay and grass the better as you want the teeth to carry on wearing down as normally as possible. I would def take him back in 8 weeks for a dental check and another 8 weeks after that.

Hope he does well!!

Back