• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rehoming numbers down for BARC

I suppose lots of rabbits are still bought as an amusement for children - pet shops and some (not all) breeders will oblige, whereas rescues quite rightly insist on homes where the bunnies will get the space and stuimulation they need.

i had a conversation with a taxi driver when i was going to pick bertie up after his 2 days in at the vets.
The poor guy was under the impression it was cheaper to buy a rabbit from a pet shop..then have it speyed or neutered yourself and vaccinated yourself at the vets. i told him exactly what the costs were as opposed to a rescue who neuters at least...and he was gobsmaked..also told him of the horror story of my very first housebun from a pet shop....i am so glad i had her first...it taught me not to buy from petshops......mums bun was an exception as i went itn an demanded she get the bun out and i was turning her over took about 25mins inspecting her and pointing out what could be wrong..hmm i was real popular..esp as i had an audience!:lol:

sadly cash is the prob..plus...unlike pet shops the homing situation is checked....some folks are so anal about that.

Also folks really dont know the option of having a housebunny or two...hutch size not important as they live in a playpen or cage overnite. Playpen during time when no one is in...litter tray easy to clean than whole hutch.
BUT the pet shops say things like theyre from good stock..you only find defective ones at the rescues:roll: and folks do believe thios and tell everyone they know.:(

folks havent got the money for the initial outlay but if they get a bun from a pet shop....oh we dont have ours speyed.ours have babies every year....yes of course wed take the babies from you and sell them.....
nah rescues jsut scare you into having the buns speyed/neutered and vacicnated.....weve never had any of our buns done....

yes ive heard all the above in a pet shop near us and outside pulled the folks over and told them to go to rabbit rehome....oh and i also told the girls at the petshop too about how wrong they were:lol:

sadly moneys the optional extra..lack of or enough...and then dumb folks still believe rescue buns are all defective/ill/unfriendly/no good as a pet. :(

I noticed that with my nearest greyhound rescue centre. In 2008, 68 were rehomed. In 2009, the year I adopted Maddy from them, they adopted out 47 dogs. In 2010 it was 29. :(

I hope they, and all other rescues, do better this year.

Back