• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming an older bun

katiebob

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Just after some advice really... We lost our old boy this week aged 9. His wifey bun (also 9) is struggling a bit and currently installed in our spare room with stasis (she's been to the vets and has drugs).

We don't want to get another rabbit as we are looking to end the bunny cycle but we are wondering what the best course of action for her would be.

1, We can keep her on her own but this doesn't seem fair as she isn't keen on human company
2, Rehome her with someone who may need an older lady to keep a lonely old boy company

Option 1 is my heart but option 2 is my head.

advice please :(

Very sorry for your recent loss and I hope that your remaining Rabbit will soon be feeling better. I would suggest not rushing into any decisions. Once she is feeling better she may adjust to being a single House Rabbit. I know you said that she isn’t keen on human company, but this may change now she is a single Rabbit.

Another option is to contact a local Rescue and ask if they have a Rabbit you could long term Foster as a companion for your Doe on the understanding that when your Doe’s time comes the Rescue would take the other Rabbit back and find him/ her another home.

Ahhh - thank you - Didnt think of the fostering option.

Unfortunately we cant keep her as a house bun as we have a dog (dog loves her but bun isnt keen!) shes in a spare crate to have her medication. :)

Personally if she is outdoors I definitely wouldn’t keep her alone, she could have easily another three or four years left and that’s a long time to be lonely. Generally we find older bunnies fairly easy to rehome, as people such as yourself (which aren’t looking to end the cycle) look out for bunnies the same age as theirs coming into rescue. :)

Back