• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Red kite

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, I wandered would a red kite come in the garden & take a Netherland dwarf rabbit? We are in a built up area of lots of houses but red kites do fly over the house. Only 1 & I think it’s the same 1. Iv noticed it flying over our garden, not often but I have seen it. We have 2 rabbits who free roam the garden & was worried it might try to take the little one. The other is much bigger but the little pure black one is small. Surely with lots of humans about it wouldn’t. Our gardens not massive & has trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although red kites are largely scavengers, I would not be happy in this situation as they can sometimes take live prey. There are also likely to be other predators around, so I would advise at least netting over the garden area they use, as a minimum. Cats are also a threat in built up areas - they can easily carry off a small rabbit. Rabbits are a prey species - they can become stressed if continually exposed to predators and are easily killed by an attack - shock is also a killer, even if they are not injured. It only takes a few seconds. It's not worth the risk.

Yes, it could. Rabbits free roaming unsupervised is very unsafe.

Hi, ok this is a worry. The kite has been circling. The big rabbit I’m not worried for but the dwarf is so small. Going to have to think of something because they have been loving the free roam in the garden. It will be sad to put them in a run now but I guess I will need to incase the little rabbit gets killed. Xx

Although red kites are largely scavengers, I would not be happy in this situation as they can sometimes take live prey. There are also likely to be other predators around, so I would advise at least netting over the garden area they use, as a minimum. Cats are also a threat in built up areas - they can easily carry off a small rabbit. Rabbits are a prey species - they can become stressed if continually exposed to predators and are easily killed by an attack - shock is also a killer, even if they are not injured. It only takes a few seconds. It's not worth the risk.

Hi, yes this is very true. It wouldn’t be able to take the big rabbit but the smaller ones a dwarf. The cats are a worry also not for the bigger one but the dwarf. It’s such a shame they have had free roam & now will need to go in a run. Xx

Hi, yes this is very true. It wouldn’t be able to take the big rabbit but the smaller ones a dwarf. The cats are a worry also not for the bigger one but the dwarf. It’s such a shame they have had free roam & now will need to go in a run. Xx

unfortunately free roam is extremely risky and getting ever more so.

Back