• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recurrent UTIs

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hi again everyone, another day, another bunny with health issues. I think Harribunny has a UTI again so we’re off to the vet later. They’re reluctant to do investigations due to his age (11) but this is his second in four months.

I was just wondering if people had experience of recurrent UTIs and if anyone has any tips for prevention / minimisation?

Thanks [emoji4]

Has a urinalysis ever been done ? This is non invasive, just needs a urine sample to be tested to try to identify the specific bacteria involved and the best abx to treat it with.

UTIs usually need a long course of abx, at least 10 days. 5-7 day courses often mean that some bacteria remains and the problem keeps recurring

Bladder sludge can be a primary cause of UTIs. Older Rabbits can be less mobile, for example due to arthritis. Lack of mobility can cause a build up of calcium deposits in the bladder and eventually bladder sludge. The sludge irritates the bladder wall causing inflammation and a predisposition to infections. A Rabbit with bladder sludge often does not fully empty their bladder when they wee, another thing which can result in repeated UTIs

A full blood profile would give some additional diagnostic information, especially regarding renal function. It is not unusual for older Rabbits to have a compromised renal function

For Rabbits prone to UTIs maximising daily water intake helps eg using a water bowl rather than a sipper bottle, gradually increasing fresh veg rations.

These pellets could have some benefits, I have no first hand experience of using them though

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Supreme-Sc...nary-Tract-Health-Formula-for-Rabbits/c15846/

I'm sorry your bunny is having a second UTI in such a short time. I have no experience with UTIs in bunnies, and IM has already given you good advice, but I did want to ask why your vets are reluctant to investigate his issues because of his age? Is it because they worry about anaesthesia? Because lots can be done without it. There's the urinalysis and blood tests IM mentioned, and both my 11-year old bunnies have had x-rays and ultrasounds recently for their own bladder problems, all while being awake, and they coped with that just fine. If there's an underlying cause for these UTIs, you'll need to find out so it can be treated, or the UTI will just keep coming back, so you might really want to try to encourage your vet to look into it more. Sending lots of vibes for your boy. I hope the vet visit was helpful and that your bunny will soon feel better.

Thanks both. He’s not had any investigations done at all, it’s good to know there are non-invasive options to consider. The vet did not suggest anything, just prescribed baytril for a week - I will call tomorrow to ask if a longer course could be prescribed and to ask about the investigations. I’m pretty unhappy with the vet on a couple of things, they just don’t seem inclined to really do anything for bunnies [emoji21] Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a proper rabbit vet within an hour and they get so stressed travelling, it’s really difficult to know what the right thing to do is. I’ll try to encourage our current vet to at least do some investigations.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your vet and that they just don't really seem to want to do anything for bunnies. :( It's hard when there's no bunny savvy vet around, especially if travelling stresses your rabbits out so much that you need something really close. I hope calling them tomorrow will get you somewhere with them and they'll agree to a longer course of antibiotics and more investigations.

I’ve found an exotics vet that is half an hour closer than any of the vets on the RWAF list so we’re going for a second opinion today. Harribun has been doing fine for 24 hours but this morning is struggling again [emoji20]

I’ve found an exotics vet that is half an hour closer than any of the vets on the RWAF list so we’re going for a second opinion today. Harribun has been doing fine for 24 hours but this morning is struggling again [emoji20]
I'm glad you've found an exotics vet for him. I'm sorry he's struggling again this morning, though. :( I hope you'll like the vet and find them better than your other vet, and I hope they can help Harribun. Sending him lots of vibes.

Thanks again for your responses :)

We've been to the exotics vet who has examined him and said he's really tender round his bladder. He's started him on gabapentin and adjusted the dose of the antibiotics because he said what the normal vet had prescribed was a sub-therapeutic dose :-(

We're booked in for a bladder scan tomorrow.

Although this vet isn't on the RWAF list they do seem a lot more clued up than our regular vet. I feel so stupid for not thinking of looking for an exotics vet even if they weren't on the list :-( but at least we've found them now.

This vet sounds much better! I'm glad you found them. How bad of the other vet to prescribe a too low dose! Poor boy being so tender around his bladder; it must be sore. I hope his scan goes well tomorrow, and I'm sending lots more vibes for your boy.

I wouldn't think to look for an exotics either! Great you've a vet on board who sounds really good. Vibes for Harribunny

Thanks for vibes, we need them! Just been back to vet as Harribunny went all shaky and breathing a million times a minute. Had some opiate painkiller too now and back home but very miserable poor baby. I’m not much better [emoji28]

Thanks for vibes, we need them! Just been back to vet as Harribunny went all shaky and breathing a million times a minute. Had some opiate painkiller too now and back home but very miserable poor baby. I’m not much better [emoji28]

Poor lad. I expect having his bladder palpated earlier set off some painful spasms. Is he still passing wee ?

He’s not passed any for a few hours, but he did pass a huge amount earlier (all over me on the way to the vet the first time) and he has been drinking since then so hopefully he’ll pass some more soon.

He’s VERY zonked from the buprenorph currently, but am hoping that means he’s not in pain any more either.

It really does sound as though bladder sludge or stones could be involved. If he isn’t eating I would give him a few watery syringe feeds as the last thing he needs is secondary gut stasis. Hopefully he has had some poo output, even if it is less than usual ?

Topping up the vibes for him x

Last edited:
Unfortunately Harribunny is going downhill. He won’t eat or drink and hasn’t passed any urine or faeces for 12 hours. He isn’t accepting syringe feeds, just won’t swallow them so it all dribbles out of his mouth. My heart is breaking for how sad he is. We’re off the the vet to ask for some fluids before his scan [emoji22]

Oh, I'm so, so sorry to hear your newest update. Poor Harribunny... :( Definitely mention to the vets that he hasn't passed urine, as he might have blockage considering his current UTI, which would need to be taken care of immediately. Sending so, so many vibes for him. I really hope the vets will be able to help him feel better.

So sorry to hear this, really hope the vets get help him feel better really soon. Sending lots of vibes for your boy xx

So sorry to hear this :cry:

I hope there isn’t a stone causing a bladder obstruction and that whatever the problem is it can be treated. Before giving fluids the Vet will need to rule out a bladder obstruction.

Back