• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

reasons to become veggi **WARNING**

I don't understand, animals take up far more land as crops need to be grown to feed the animals, so if we just ate plants, we'd have far more land.;)

Not necessarily. Animals often eat the by-products of crops farmed for human consumption. Plus, humans can digest animal protein far more effectively than plant protein, so for every kilogram of meat that a human eats they are getting twice as much nutrition than they would from a kilogram of plant material.

Basically there is evidence to suggest that meat is better than plants, and that plants are better than meat. My answer would be that to help solve world hunger we should NOT start imposing vegetarian/vegan attitudes onto developing nations, rather we should be looking at the most effective use of the land available. :)

AMETHYST

Our digestive system is not similar to that of a cow. We have only one stomach, a much shorter gut and we cannot digest cellulose, because we lack the necessary bacteria. You can't say we are designed to eat plants only. Thanks to modern technology we can buy supplements for certain vitamins and iron, which we don't get enough of or not at all by just eating plants. So we don't HAVE to eat meat any longer, but that still does not make us a herbivore in the biological sense.
I don't support the abuse of farm animals, but a lot of people just seem to focus on these animals, and not the environment as a whole. If we keep destroying our environment, then that wouldn't save most animals, either. Rainforests get cut down to make room for huge fields of palm trees that are used for palm oil production. A lot of vegetables are grown in monocultures, which don't allow a lot of animal life. And rare plants get extinct because they are treated as weeds. Many animals die a barbaric death when it's time to harvest the vegetables. They get shredded by the machines, if they happen to be in the fields at that time.
It's not right what is happening to many farm animals, but plant production can be quite bad for the environment, too. So try and buy organic vegetables as much as possible. I am a botanist/plant physiologist, and to me plants are living things, too. They have some amazing abilities, and even though they probably can't feel pain, it hurts me every time I see a tree being felled.
And then, how about cruelty to humans, do you care about that, as well? If a human life is worth the same as an animal life, then we have to protect it, too. So do you avoid travelling to countries like Turkey, because they ignore human rights? Do you make sure the clothes you wear were not produced by child workers?
And do you not travel to Spain because of the bullfighting?
Where do you start to draw the line? Would you give up your car? Would you stop smoking because there is still a lot of research done about the effects? Research in which rabbits are forced to inhale smoke?
Do you try to save water or do you take a shower every day, because you think we have an unlimited supply of fresh water?
I don't think anyone of us can say that they are perfect.

The eggs we use are NOT from a supermarket - we get them from this farm place that sell eggs - free rangers off course :wave:

I don't eat meat and have never eaten meat like ever. For some reason I refused to eat it as a very young baby (preferred eating raw carrot :?, swede and apple) and have never touched it since :?

Quote: to keep the milk coming (instead of running out when the baby doesn’t need it any more) they constantly suck it out and have the mother cow (crying for the baby) in a small, metal cage which has a floor of concrete and no grass to graze on; just moan grass and steroids. How could any one support that?

Wikipedia: Modern dairy farmers use milking machines and sophisticated plumbing systems to harvest and store the milk from the cows, which are usually milked twice or thrice daily. During the warm months, in the northern hemisphere, cows may be allowed to graze in their pastures, both day and night, and are brought into the barn only to be milked. Many barns also incorporate tunnel ventilation into the architecture of the barn structure. This ventilation system is highly efficient and involves opening both ends of the structure allowing cool air to blow through the building. Farmers with this type of structure keep cows inside during the summer months to prevent sunburn and damage to udders. During the winter months, especially in northern climates, the cows may spend the majority of their time inside the barn, which is warmed by their collective body heat. Even in winter, the heat produced by the cattle requires the barns to be ventilated for cooling purposes.

Also, Cows aren’t like humans. They can’t cry. They have different emotions concerning different things. It’s the exact same as weaning a puppy, or separating a kit from a doe rabbit.

-----------------------------------

1. Quote: Besides, apart from the welfare of animals, farting cows are a big problem, is it not them who are contributing to green house gases? I find it hard to understand why people on this thread are so willing to eat meat and dairy, we don’t need it, its NOT vital, yet to get it on your plate animals have to be reared artifically and killed in a barbaric way....

2. Quote: The reason we have intensive farming is because everyone wants cheap meat, its nothing to do with space.

3. Quote: Ezekiel 34:2-4. Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not the shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you did not take care of the flock! You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally

---------------------------------------------------------
First of all, let it be known that I respect vegetarians, though I do not agree with their practices for the same reasons. I don’t expect to change anyones views with this post, but want to let the omnivore’s point of view be spoken.( I, too, am a Christian as well, by the way.) I know that all barns/ dairy production methods are not the same, so thank you to those who don’t say that every barn has the same practices, whether cruel or not as some may view.

1. OK- so cows ****. so what? so do we, and no one gets on us about it. So they’re contributing to greenhouse gasses. So does every other animal when they **** too, but cattle just do it on a slightly larger scale. But who is more to blame for the greenhouse effect, cattle, or humans? I mean, we drive your car to work every day (or use public transport, whatever). we go on holiday via plane, or car, or train, or boat, or whatever. We switch our lights on, our stove on, our TV on... Who is making the bigger impact here??? I mean, we aren’t going to wipe out humans because they’re doing this!!!
b. you’re right. we don’t NEED it now that we have all sorts of supplements to make sure we get enough of certain minerals and nutrients. However, it’s the natural way. Plus, animals don’t HAVE to be raised “Artificially”, or be killed Barbarously. Theoretically, rabbits have been raised “artificially”. It’s due to mankind that many breeds are surviving today, or even exist. So what if one is raised for meat/ dairy, and the other is for a pet/ show???

2. Not necessiarly, but true. However, think about it. For one raw steak, what would you pay?? £3-5?? How much would you pay for, say, spinach, to get the same amount of iron, etc??? Meat just makes sense when you’re just trying to get by. You can make a good meal using £2.50 for a pack of ground beef, or you could spend £2.50 and buy a little fruit. healthy? yes! tasty? yes! Could you survive? probably, but you would be hungry a lot, i’d say. If you can afford organic meats, etc, then go for it. But if you’re barely getting by, cheap meat is the way to go. It won’t give you everything you need, just like fruit won’t, but you’ll end up getting more for your money.

3. This is more of a parable than anything else. you can use it in any terms as you like, but I think it’s mainly talking about humans, not sheep. It’s just saying to be selfless, not selfish. Plus, I might add that it just says to take care of the sheep, not to not eat them. You can eat the curds, kill the choice meat, and sell the fleece, but you have to bind the flocks injuries, otherwise you won’t get much further.

Finally, if you ask me, we should be lucky we can even be so picky about what we eat. Think about the millions of PEOPLE who are STARVING to DEATH. about the genocide, starvation, AIDS, disasters, etc etc. We can complain about day old calves being shipped off to be killed, but what about the 200,000 to 400,000 people murdered in darfur??? To be honest, I think we need to focus on our fellow humans before we completely focus on animal welfare. Millions of brothers, sisters, dads, mums, sons, and daughters are starving, and their F&F can do nothing about it but watch them suffer. Millions are being shot, bombed, gassed, etc etc, but everyone here seems to be preoccupied with making Cows happier instead. How could you look one of those people who was helplessly murdered in the eye, and tell them that you were too busy making life better for livestock to help save their lives??? I believe that God put us in charge of everything on this earth, but if we can’t control ourselves, how can we possibly be responsible for other creatures???

Sorry for such a long post... apologise for ruffled feathers but I think a different opinion is always helpful. Might I add, most sites as such are extremely biased, so not everything is 100% fact. I am far from perfect, but try to do the right thing whenever I can.

to let the omnivore’s point of view be spoken...
about the genocide, starvation, AIDS, disasters, etc etc. We can complain about day old calves being shipped off to be killed, but what about the 200,000 to 400,000 people murdered in darfur??? To be honest, I think we need to focus on our fellow humans before we completely focus on animal welfare. I believe that God put us in charge of everything on this earth, but if we can’t control ourselves, how can we possibly be responsible for other creatures???
If you do not believe that animals have feelings like humans, that they do not "cry", then so be it. Many vegetarians and vegans believe they do, AND they do not believe that the travesties that humans suffer are any less significant with this belief. Animal welfare advocates often are the same people who are advocates for humanitarianism causes. I don't see why someone would argue for the exclusion of one over the other. In fact people who are indifferent to the welfare or feelings of animals, are known to be the very people who turn out to be indifferent to human life.

Finally, if you ask me, we should be lucky we can even be so picky about what we eat. Think about the millions of PEOPLE who are STARVING to DEATH. about the genocide, starvation, AIDS, disasters, etc etc. We can complain about day old calves being shipped off to be killed, but what about the 200,000 to 400,000 people murdered in darfur??? To be honest, I think we need to focus on our fellow humans before we completely focus on animal welfare. Millions of brothers, sisters, dads, mums, sons, and daughters are starving, and their F&F can do nothing about it but watch them suffer. Millions are being shot, bombed, gassed, etc etc, but everyone here seems to be preoccupied with making Cows happier instead. How could you look one of those people who was helplessly murdered in the eye, and tell them that you were too busy making life better for livestock to help save their lives??? I believe that God put us in charge of everything on this earth, but if we can’t control ourselves, how can we possibly be responsible for other creatures???

You could easily go without that chocolate cake or those new shoes, instead you could give the money to charity....how far do you want to go on arguing that point? I give money into charity, and I help fundraise for human charities, such as the smiles foundation, I do my bit for that, and in the case of meat, you don't pay for it, whereas for the people suffering, you give in money, so its two unrelated things, you can't compare as theres different 'solutions'.;)

Also, since when does worrying about veal etc mean that we don't care about people suffering? :?

'You have treated them harshly' meaning God does not approve.

If we ate less meat, there wouldn't be as many cows, therefore not as much gas, as it is, everybody is too fond of their burgers from McMucks so there are far more cows than there should be. Also, on a larger scale, what about the rainforests? That effects everyone, the cutting down of rainforests to make way for cheap beef is having a huge effect on the worlds climate which ultimately will effect us all.

So just because meat is cheap, we should support it? There are plenty of alternatives and you can live a healthy and fulfiling diet without it, I don't eat meat, yet have just eaten dinner and am very full. I'm sure the vegans and vegetarians on here don't starve either.

Also, I never said every farmer uses the same cruel methods, but when buying a pint of milk or chicken fillets, how are you suposed to know what farmer does what?

On top of that, the things which meat are pumped full with is enough to put me off, such as chickens ready to be killed at 48 days....thats playing with nature and its totally wrong.

I think the argument about human suffering is a completely different subject and one that you cannot compare with animal suffering. The suffering inflicted upon humans in a war has been started by humans. On the contrary the suffering that animals have to endure from us is totally beyond their control.

Why should we first deal with our own suffering and once we have that sorted we can look upon that of animals and then stop eating meat. What is wrong with the present... who is losing out? The people in war stricken countries are not losing out because someone decides to stop meat consumption.

It's a totally pessimistic and skeptical view but I believe we will never be at peace. Therefore the idea to address human suffering first is an excuse to carry on eating meat.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike people who eat meat, and totally respect each person's personal choices, but to bring something like that into the argument I find completely pointless and absurd.

As a meat eater I find this very upsetting. I have said many times that I eat ONLY FREE RANGE AND ORGANIC MEAT, and only from farms that I have seen the welfare standards of myself. To imply that I am allowing animals to be "reared artificially" and "killed in a barbaric way" labels me as no better than those who buy battery farmed chicken or intensively farmed beef!

AMETHYST

What about when you go out to dinner? Order a takeaway or eat round a friends house?

I think it's great you only buy organic meat, but Beebop was making the very valid point that we do not NEED meat.

Quote: to keep the milk coming (instead of running out when the baby doesn’t need it any more) they constantly suck it out and have the mother cow (crying for the baby) in a small, metal cage which has a floor of concrete and no grass to graze on; just moan grass and steroids. How could any one support that?

Wikipedia: Modern dairy farmers use milking machines and sophisticated plumbing systems to harvest and store the milk from the cows, which are usually milked twice or thrice daily. During the warm months, in the northern hemisphere, cows may be allowed to graze in their pastures, both day and night, and are brought into the barn only to be milked. Many barns also incorporate tunnel ventilation into the architecture of the barn structure. This ventilation system is highly efficient and involves opening both ends of the structure allowing cool air to blow through the building. Farmers with this type of structure keep cows inside during the summer months to prevent sunburn and damage to udders. During the winter months, especially in northern climates, the cows may spend the majority of their time inside the barn, which is warmed by their collective body heat. Even in winter, the heat produced by the cattle requires the barns to be ventilated for cooling purposes.

Also, Cows aren’t like humans. They can’t cry. They have different emotions concerning different things. It’s the exact same as weaning a puppy, or separating a kit from a doe rabbit.

some places have those OK...:? ... conditions, but if it's not organic then it's very unlikely.

and i wrote 'cry' as in calling and to highlight how sad they must be. how do we know about the emotions of a female cow, anyway:??

What about when you go out to dinner? Order a takeaway or eat round a friends house?

I think it's great you only buy organic meat, but Beebop was making the very valid point that we do not NEED meat.

Well on the rare occasions David and I eat out we're either lucky enough to live near to a few pubs who sell locally reared meat and veg or we tend to order the vegetarian dish as we like them. Sometimes I have fish but rarely have chicken. If I do have meat it tends to be lamb as (although I stopped eating meat due to cute lambs back in my early 20's) they do tend to be the best treated meat animals.

I'm not sure that we don't NEED meat either. I am anaemic even eating meat and without meat my iron levels went so low I needed transfusing which is why I went back to eating it. Iron supplements give me diarrohoea which is ok in the short term to get my iron levels up but not ok every day for the rest of my life. I personally think some people do better on a vegetarian diet and some on a meat diet, we're all different. When I didn't eat meat it was a conscious choice due to animal welfare rather than not liking the idea of eating dead animals and now I have the choice to eat local meat I'm happy with that.

As most of the general public want cheap meat the animal suffers. Education in buying better meat and paying for better farming is needed rather than the vegetarians attacking meat eaters for their choices. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did a programme a while back showing people how awful farm animals can be treated and trying to convert them to paying more - I think a couple did see the light but for the majority cost was the overriding factor

Last edited:
As most of the general public want cheap meat the animal suffers. Education in buying better meat and paying for better farming is needed rather than the vegetarians attacking meat eaters for their choices. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did a programme a while back showing people how awful farm animals can be treated and trying to convert them to paying more - I think a couple did see the light but for the majority cost was the overriding factor

Buy British and buy local. Support local farmers.

Fairly spoken!!! (this time I won't write a novel... promise ;) )

Our family never goes to McDonalds... that place is just disgusting even without an Animal Rights Activist's views!!! We don't eat out much because it is so expensive. Our meat is bought from our local supermarket, in which I *believe* all fresh beef is local, and cheap. If this was not an option, our family would certainly go for the cheap, as we couldn't afford going to the butchers and paying more.

You're right... We don't know about the emotions of a cow. I don't, and neither does anyone else in this world except for the cow and maybe the odd person. But it's the same thing as weaning a puppy, or separating it from it's mum. If anything else, separating the two is more humane when done earlier, as they can't bond for very long.

Also, I don't want to get in a battle about Bible comprehension, as everyone's views are different and some on here don't believe in it at all, but I think it is referring to the strays and the lost- you gave up hope and ignored them, in a sense. you dealt with the strays and lost brutally, ie you left them for dead, in a sense- god does not approve of that. However, it says nothing about how eating the meat earns disapproval.

Anyway, i'm going on here... Once again I respect your choices if you are a veggie, However I do disagree with you.

-DB

Well on the rare occasions David and I eat out we're either lucky enough to live near to a few pubs who sell locally reared meat and veg or we tend to order the vegetarian dish as we like them. Sometimes I have fish but rarely have chicken. If I do have meat it tends to be lamb as (although I stopped eating meat due to cute lambs back in my early 20's) they do tend to be the best treated meat animals.

I'm not sure that we don't NEED meat either. I am anaemic even eating meat and without meat my iron levels went so low I needed transfusing which is why I went back to eating it. Iron supplements give me diarrohoea which is ok in the short term to get my iron levels up but not ok every day for the rest of my life. I personally think some people do better on a vegetarian diet and some on a meat diet, we're all different. When I didn't eat meat it was a conscious choice due to animal welfare rather than not liking the idea of eating dead animals and now I have the choice to eat local meat I'm happy with that.

Some people clearly do have a problem with absorbing iron, but if I truly was committed to a vege/vegan diet then I would continue with it and look at other ways to increase my iron levels.

There is an interesting article here:
http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/iron.php

I believe George Bernard Shaw once said: "I do not wish my body to be a graveyard for dead and rotting animals" and "I look my age. It is the other people who look older than they are. What can you expect from people who eat corpses?"

On that note, some of the healthiest and most radiant people I've ever met are vegetarians... just thought I'd throw that int there! ;)

Firstly, I find it rather upsetting (again) to be asked this question. Oh of course, even though I care about where my meat comes from when I'm at the supermarket, I'm an evil meat eater and therefore I'm not going to care where my meat comes from when I order a takeaway - I mean, come on. For your information, however, when I go to a friend's house I will eat what they put on my plate. My refusing to eat what they have cooked for me will not have stopped that animal from being raised, killed, shrink-wrapped and put on my plate, because they were cooking it for themselves as well. In fact, all I'd be doing is causing that to go to waste (and being rather rude!). If I go out for dinner, I tend to go for a pasta or fish option anyway.

Yes, and I accept that. However, I like meat, and plenty of people do. What I didn't accept was what Beebop said about how all animal husbandry and slaughter was inhumane and barbaric, it made it seem as if people like me - who choose their meat wisely and actually give a :censored: about where their meat comes from - are the same as those who couldn't care less and eat battery farmed meat.

AMETHYST

Firstly, I find it rather upsetting (again) to be asked this question. Oh of course, even though I care about where my meat comes from when I'm at the supermarket, I'm an evil meat eater and therefore I'm not going to care where my meat comes from when I order a takeaway - I mean, come on. For your information, however, when I go to a friend's house I will eat what they put on my plate. My refusing to eat what they have cooked for me will not have stopped that animal from being raised, killed, shrink-wrapped and put on my plate, because they were cooking it for themselves as well. In fact, all I'd be doing is causing that to go to waste (and being rather rude!). If I go out for dinner, I tend to go for a pasta or fish option anyway.

Where did I call you an 'evil meat eater?' It was a genuine question. You stated 'I eat ONLY FREE RANGE AND ORGANIC MEAT' so I was curious what you did in situations other than cooking at home. People often say things like that and then order a meat feast pizza where they have no idea what kind of life the animal led!

Of course buying meat from humanely reared animals is preferable to someone who doesn't give a :censored: , and being a vegetarian/vegan is preferable to eating humanely reared animals.

Well, all are killed in a barbaric way, I mean being immoblised (which isn't always successful) by having volts put in either side of your head, then having your throat slit and hung upside down to let the blood drip out, isn't humane in my view, but as far as I am aware, is seen as the legal and 'humane' option in this country, not sure about spain.

As for being reared, even organic and freerange animals could still be raised in cruel conditions. Take a 'free range' hen, its still housed in a battery cage for part of the day, and its in with millions of other birds, all pooing, so I can't imagine it being a really great place to live, sorry. Also, as I live on the edge of the country, we are often near to sheep, and despite being one of the less intensified meats, a high percentage limp around the fields, some are in that much pain they have to kneel on their front legs whilst eating, and I'd pretty much guess you'll find the same situation in all fields full of sheep. And even *if* the farmer pays to have that animal treated with antibiotics to kill the infection, I for one do NOT want antibiotics in my system, my immune system is delicate enough it would seem.

Where did I call you an 'evil meat eater?' It was a genuine question. You stated 'I eat ONLY FREE RANGE AND ORGANIC MEAT' so I was curious what you did in situations other than cooking at home. People often say things like that and then order a meat feast pizza where they have no idea what kind of life the animal led!

Sorry, I was in a very bad mood when I posted that reply. I feel bad about it now. :oops: What I meant to say was this: I thought you had assumed that I had made the effort to eat well at home, but not when I eat out. That was what I took (a bit too much) offence at! :lol: :oops: You're quite right though, there are lots of people who do as you described, I just don't like it when veggies or vegans say to me that I must still be contributing the the vile and barbaric slaughter of animals because I obviously don't give a monkeys when I go out for a takeaway (as you may have guessed, you're not the first person to have asked me what I do when I go out to eat! :oops:)

Sorry if I upset you, I really should have thought more carefully about what I was saying. :(

Of course buying meat from humanely reared animals is preferable to someone who doesn't give a :censored: , and being a vegetarian/vegan is preferable to eating humanely reared animals.

I agree with point one, not necessarily with point two - I think they're on a fairly even keel, but that's only my opinion. :)

AMETHYST

dont know whether to post his or not but i am also a meat eater and always will be.so is all my family.but it doesnt mean i agree with how the animals are slaughtered.i think its damn right cruel.my uncle is a dairy farmer and i know that he gets his beef cattle shot rather than stunned.also,with milking cattle,they do still produce milk even if they dont have a calf.know this from working there for 3weeks.i only buy british meat to supprt our local farmers.we struggle enough as it is around here.x

Back