• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rearguard??

Do you use Rearguard?

• Yes, it's never had a bad effect on my buns

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Yes, but they react badly to it

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • No, I use other ways to keep the flies off them (explain please :))

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No, it just isn't necessary

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters
If your buns get even the slightest mucky bum go for it!
try the beaphar one i think you get 5 buns bums done with one bottle.

If charlie or gracie get the slightest mucky bum im def going to be using mine, the reason i havent used it yet is because they are both post neuter so i thought id wait until 6 weeks has passed. xxxxxxxxx

Yeah, mine don't get it anymore. I think if they start getting funny poos or sticky bum again I will use it :) Thanks hun xxxxxxx

I check my buns bums twice a day, I've never found either of their bums less than spotless as it happens ! I change litter regularly and keep their playhouse clean and tidy and don't find flies in there at all. They are probably too busy being attracted to the dog poo elsewhere in the garden. :lol:

Yeah, mine don't get it anymore. I think if they start getting funny poos or sticky bum again I will use it :) Thanks hun xxxxxxx

Im going to use it the risks of it making them ill are far less than them getting fly strike and that can be fatal, thats all i need to know, i shall continue using it at least my mind is at rest :) xxxxxxxxx

Im going to use it the risks of it making them ill are far less than them getting fly strike and that can be fatal, thats all i need to know, i shall continue using it at least my mind is at rest :) xxxxxxxxx

I know what you mean, it is pretty horrific if they get fly strike, but if there are other ways of preventing it I'd rather use them I think :) xxxxxxxxx

I've never used it, I just keep their hutch clean and themselves.

Plus, I use those fly stickers which work.

Do you remember the thread and poll I started about a month or so ago about who has ever experienced flystrike and if so under what conditions. I wouldn't want to sway anyone from doing what they think best for the bunnies but the results I got showed that waaaaaaaay over 90% had never had fly strike (can't remember exactly). The only ones who had had a case - very few - single figures - were buns with kidney trouble or other illness. The general consensus was that a healthy, clean bun has very little risk of getting flystrike. Just a little thought....

Do you remember the thread and poll I started about a month or so ago about who has ever experienced flystrike and if so under what conditions. I wouldn't want to sway anyone from doing what they think best for the bunnies but the results I got showed that waaaaaaaay over 90% had never had fly strike (can't remember exactly). The only ones who had had a case - very few - single figures - were buns with kidney trouble or other illness. The general consensus was that a healthy, clean bun has very little risk of getting flystrike. Just a little thought....

Yeah I think you're right

Thank you, I just like to check things out on here before I make big decisions! xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have vited for the 1st option because I did use it on all mine one year, and nobun had any bad reaction, but I've not used it since as I keep the risk to the minimum by keeping their living area clean and dry and checking their bums every evening when I move them to the hutch from the garden. However, if I had a bun with a tendency towards a sticky bum then I would use it as a 2nd line of defence.

I just keep them clean and make sure boxes are changed regularly - mine are indoors though so that helps.

Clean, healthy, not overweight, good diet to prevent sticky soggy poops, thats whats needed.Oh, and a fabulous forum for advice aswell as a fabulous vet.
The rearguard can go in the bin!!

rearguard

Used rearguard on my bun as we were going on holiday and couldn't check his bott everyday. He lies in his poos and loves it but I still manage to clean him up well. After I used the rearguard his fur fell off in clumps and he had bald patches, I can only put this down to the effects of rearguard. Is there any other type of preventative treatment I can use? I also use fly papers- their night time hutch which is in a shed. Hutch should be kept clean as a new pin.

fly strike after rear guard

my gorgeous bunny is in the vet hospital tonight - used rear guard and his fur fell out and his skin got sore. we checked him twice a day but found some maggots on him today. what a horrible shock, he was not in pain but how can you tell what you are looking for ? we saw no eggs. I am so upset it is difficult to know how to stop this my bun is 7 years old. please pray for him.

my gorgeous bunny is in the vet hospital tonight - used rear guard and his fur fell out and his skin got sore. we checked him twice a day but found some maggots on him today. what a horrible shock, he was not in pain but how can you tell what you are looking for ? we saw no eggs. I am so upset it is difficult to know how to stop this my bun is 7 years old. please pray for him.

Hopefully you have caught it in time. Sending him lots of vibes.

I ticked the first one as I will do it if I am going away only as I am not around to do bum checks. 4 bunnies have had it and no reaction.

If I am not going away, I tend to just stick to the bum checks at least twice a day/mesh on the run and have a rearguard in as part of my emergency kit.

Last edited:
I have used the Beaphar Fly Free on my two in very small amounts, neither has reacted badly to it, and they didn't seem too bothered by being sprayed, especially as they got a good brushing out of it :lol:

Flystrike terrifies me, though I am hesitant about using these sprays in case the bunny licks and ingests the stuff. My first line of defence as many of you have said is to make sure their bums are clean and to keep their surroundings as clean and dry as possible every day. I do a disinfect of their hutches once a week (though might reduce this in winter?)

Am going to pick up some flypaper too, stick that out of their reach somewhere.

Back