• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in free ads: protocol UD got 'em p18

Could you please post some pics of the two bunnies here as well? FB is blocked here :)

So we've got them :D They're on Bunnies In Need (FB; there was already a post about them) and one should be able to go to a local rescue later this week. I might ring around vets tomorrow morning to see what vacancies they've got for vaccs, because while really hormonal male bunnies who can still see each other are a PITA they're not risking themselves unlike being unvaccinated! If the other stays with us for any length of time, we'll look to get him neutered too, and we'll throw some money their rescues' way :)

When I brought them through the garden, ours were deciding whether to go out on the lawn or not, I told them we'd replaced them :lol: We did, indeed, replace them on the lawn as ours weren't using it! They're in two hutches with some run space. It's open-topped so we're not letting them out tomorrow when I'm not home and Matt's at work, because even though he's home he can't check on them as easily as I can. They're little, Nethies cross brothers. They like digging (showing off), spraying wee (showing off), scenting EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME (showing off), trying to kill each other, and eating :) The blacker one has healed wounds on his back. No mention of them seeing a vet.

193311874_10104243593303798_909062857535556961_n.jpg

There's more seeing-each-other and interaction prevention in place than shown in the pic :) Both covered in wee stains, their wee stinks (oh hormonal males!), the blacker one's claws are a little long (not bad yet), the whiter one has a single matt on its back I couldn't tease out (like a stuck seed), and they're a bit overweight but they seem OK otherwise. Tiny poos at the moment but they like hay and grass!

We've been lucky with our buns too: Chibbs gets really, hmm, agitated, running about all over the place for about 15mins every few hours, but she hasn't chased Lopsy any more than normal (there's probably one chase a day really, bloomin' rabbits!) and Lopsy couldn't care less. Once one goes to rescue, the other will get a hutch-dog crate combo which isn't ideal but is more permanent space than they've had in their lives still, although still less than their daytime setup now. We've acclimatised them to forage :D

They're totally non-aggressive with people, even when they're facing off. They'll make great little family members one day :love: We are not keeping them :lol: They are dinky little lovelies and I think would suit housebunnies best, although one's apparently a chewer, we're yet to see it (too much digging going on :lol:). Good job our lawn needed a makeover anyway :lol: The best thing is, on the bits they can dig down (there's little where they can dig across: sunken bricks etc.) there're 1/2" tree roots about 4" down which Matt's taken to calling 'nature's own digging deterrent' :lol:

:love:

So we've got them :D They're on Bunnies In Need (FB; there was already a post about them) and one should be able to go to a local rescue later this week. I might ring around vets tomorrow morning to see what vacancies they've got for vaccs, because while really hormonal male bunnies who can still see each other are a PITA they're not risking themselves unlike being unvaccinated! If the other stays with us for any length of time, we'll look to get him neutered too, and we'll throw some money their rescues' way :)

When I brought them through the garden, ours were deciding whether to go out on the lawn or not, I told them we'd replaced them :lol: We did, indeed, replace them on the lawn as ours weren't using it! They're in two hutches with some run space. It's open-topped so we're not letting them out tomorrow when I'm not home and Matt's at work, because even though he's home he can't check on them as easily as I can. They're little, Nethies cross brothers. They like digging (showing off), spraying wee (showing off), scenting EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME (showing off), trying to kill each other, and eating :) The blacker one has healed wounds on his back. No mention of them seeing a vet.

193311874_10104243593303798_909062857535556961_n.jpg

There's more seeing-each-other and interaction prevention in place than shown in the pic :) Both covered in wee stains, their wee stinks (oh hormonal males!), the blacker one's claws are a little long (not bad yet), the whiter one has a single matt on its back I couldn't tease out (like a stuck seed), and they're a bit overweight but they seem OK otherwise. Tiny poos at the moment but they like hay and grass!

We've been lucky with our buns too: Chibbs gets really, hmm, agitated, running about all over the place for about 15mins every few hours, but she hasn't chased Lopsy any more than normal (there's probably one chase a day really, bloomin' rabbits!) and Lopsy couldn't care less. Once one goes to rescue, the other will get a hutch-dog crate combo which isn't ideal but is more permanent space than they've had in their lives still, although still less than their daytime setup now. We've acclimatised them to forage :D

They're totally non-aggressive with people, even when they're facing off. They'll make great little family members one day :love: We are not keeping them :lol: They are dinky little lovelies and I think would suit housebunnies best, although one's apparently a chewer, we're yet to see it (too much digging going on :lol:). Good job our lawn needed a makeover anyway :lol: The best thing is, on the bits they can dig down (there's little where they can dig across: sunken bricks etc.) there're 1/2" tree roots about 4" down which Matt's taken to calling 'nature's own digging deterrent' :lol:

You are doing something amazing. You are a wonderful human being. :love: :love:

I'm so glad you were able to get them so they can now find wonderful new homes. It's so very kind of you to rescue them. They're both really cute, and it sounds like they're having a good time with you. :love: That's so sad that the blacker one has healed wounds on his back, though, and that they're not looking very well-cared for. I'm glad the people you got them from didn't keep them.

I'm so glad you were able to get them so they can now find wonderful new homes. It's so very kind of you to rescue them. They're both really cute, and it sounds like they're having a good time with you. :love: That's so sad that the blacker one has healed wounds on his back, though, and that they're not looking very well-cared for. I'm glad the people you got them from didn't keep them.
I was happy that they were just 'the usual' half-neglected buns, so kept by well-meaning people who saw to their absolute minimum needs to survive (food, water, hay, decent shelter: I would've taken the hutch they were in if it wasn't rotten in one corner, it was a lovely two-level Trixie one and would have made a great extra area IMO :oops:) but not to live :) I was also happy they weren't going to take any more buns on (much less common IME but it's still always a worry).

Could you please post some pics of the two bunnies here as well? FB is blocked here :)
Sorry Omi, only just back online and I forgot some people have FB blocked generally! Here's a link to an album of photos.

No news from our rescue taker yet, she's really busy ATM though and she's really local so I can drop off anytime. It's where I got Chibbs from :D We'll be advertising the other if there's no takers and getting him vaccinated and then neutered.

Thanks for the pics :) They look lovely bunnies. They don't seem very friendly towards each other though :lol:

Thanks for the pics :) They look lovely bunnies. They don't seem very friendly towards each other though :lol:
The first meeting was more curious 'who's this?' and then it was, indeed, full on trying to kill each other :lol: I'm making a separate post which will update this album and detail more of their exploits :D But yeah, lots of digging to try and get each other/show off/scent mark, and lots of chinning their partitions next to each other (they've done everywhere else at least 3 times as well :lol:, my buns are going to have a field day re-chinning everything!).

The first meeting was more curious 'who's this?' and then it was, indeed, full on trying to kill each other :lol: I'm making a separate post which will update this album and detail more of their exploits :D But yeah, lots of digging to try and get each other/show off/scent mark, and lots of chinning their partitions next to each other (they've done everywhere else at least 3 times as well :lol:, my buns are going to have a field day re-chinning everything!).

How were they living previously then? I had assumed they were either living together or separately as a failed bond. They almost look as though they could be siblings?

How were they living previously then? I had assumed they were either living together or separately as a failed bond. They almost look as though they could be siblings?
They were living in this Trixie hutch with the ramp lifted up and a brick at the ramp top to close it off, separately one up, one down, with the whole back boarded in at the bottom (like the top bit is) to provide enclosed space for the lower bunny. Ingenious. They are brothers, from the person I got them from's friends' bunnies who had unexpected babies :roll: I could have got the hutch delivered if I'd've wanted it but it's pretty rotten at the bottom so they were happy to chuck it.

:love: They are beautiful, i love them. Well done you. So when neutered they could prob be rebonded
One's off to a rescue tomorrow! I mean, it's still a possibility, but I think they'd be just as happy with a wifebun or other partner as each other. They do REALLY want to kill each other, the whiter one is much more dominant but the black one starts everything by scenting everywhere. If we had kept them both longer term we might have tried but I'm so used to bonding with Lopsy I'm not sure I could take a more 'normal' bond :lol: e.g. Lopsy came over to see them yesterday (from the hutch) and Oreo (the blacker one) came over to see him and they got bored of each other in about 10 seconds :lol: Lopsy's such a walkover. Chibbs gets excited/agitated every time we let them out in the morning because they go mental rescenting everywhere and she can hear and see them, but she just runs around trying to see if she can get a better look, closer etc. :) She hasn't taken it out on Lopsy at all :D

Back