• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits don't spend much time in new hutch :(

hi all,

I've recently got a new hutch for my two rabbits and gone from a 2 tier to a single tier (its 6ft by 2.5ft with a 10x4ft run and run of the garden when the weather is good) but for some reason they are spending alot more times in the run rather than in the hutch. Does anyone know of a reason they may be doing this?

I worry that they will get too cold and they do it through the night as well. In their old hutch alot of the time i went outside to them (to feed them, to let them out etc) they would always be snuggled together in the 'upstairs' of the hutch. In their new one, i think i've seen them snuggled together on one or to occasions.

It just seems a little odd to me :( possibly because its a new environment? they do go in if it's raining and theyre still active and eating and drinking as normal.

thanks in advance :)

It is likely the new environment but it also could be the weather - it is warming up a lot more now, so perhaps they would naturally be spending more time in the run? Some bunnies do prefer to sleep somewhere higher up as it can make them feel safer, so it may just take them a while to adjust to being on the ground floor. You could try putting a wooden or cardboard box in there (or cover the front/sides) to give them some privacy and a sense of security where they can hide away. It might be that they always want the box in there or it may be that they just need a bit of a more gradual change. Also, I've noticed that bunnies never seem to sleep in an area where other bunnies will be walking past often - it could be that in their old hutch they had a tucked away area whereas in the new hutch one of them might keep waking the other one up doing whatever they're doing, so they're sleeping elsewhere to avoid that. Might be worth moving as many food/water bowls, toys, and litter trays out into the run as possible to dedicate it more to sleeping and resting?

It is so stressful when you're trying to do your best by upgrading and they don't seem to like what you've done! I'm sure they will come around eventually.

It is likely the new environment but it also could be the weather - it is warming up a lot more now, so perhaps they would naturally be spending more time in the run? Some bunnies do prefer to sleep somewhere higher up as it can make them feel safer, so it may just take them a while to adjust to being on the ground floor. You could try putting a wooden or cardboard box in there (or cover the front/sides) to give them some privacy and a sense of security where they can hide away. It might be that they always want the box in there or it may be that they just need a bit of a more gradual change. Also, I've noticed that bunnies never seem to sleep in an area where other bunnies will be walking past often - it could be that in their old hutch they had a tucked away area whereas in the new hutch one of them might keep waking the other one up doing whatever they're doing, so they're sleeping elsewhere to avoid that. Might be worth moving as many food/water bowls, toys, and litter trays out into the run as possible to dedicate it more to sleeping and resting?

It is so stressful when you're trying to do your best by upgrading and they don't seem to like what you've done! I'm sure they will come around eventually.

Thanks for your help! I'm sure they're just fine but it just seemed a little unusual. I'll get a box today and see if that helps :) the hutch does have a 'bedroom' section that is completely boxed in but they've decided to use it as their toilet so they dont sleep in there.

Last edited:
It's quite normal for bunnies to want to spend most of their time out in the open; I'm guessing now that they have more space and are free to choose whether to be 'out' or 'in', you're noticing the difference, that's all.

I have a kennel and run and my rabbit spends 90% of his time out in the open run, in all weathers. As long as they have warmer/sheltered places within the set up to retreat to if they want, I wouldn't be too concerned.

It's also pretty normal for the bedroom of a hutch to be converted into a toilet I'm afraid. :lol::lol: Every bunny I've ever owned has always done the same. :roll:

Hello there! If the hutch is on the ground they may see it as a kind of trap so are staying out of it. Most rabbits can be litter trained using a litter tray or underbed storage box lined with newspaper and topped up with hay. Most rabbits love to sit in these munching on their hay.. It also helps to keep the hutch nice and clean. Rabbits don't tend to do changes very easily so they are giving the new hutch a long time before deciding on whether it's a good place or not.

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:

Maybe they just need a little time to adjust. My trio hardly seem to spend any time in their hutch either, they much prefer sitting in the run. Mind you, I can't blame them as the run has tunnels, platforms, toys etc and the hutch is just somewhere cosy if they want it x

It's quite normal for bunnies to want to spend most of their time out in the open; I'm guessing now that they have more space and are free to choose whether to be 'out' or 'in', you're noticing the difference, that's all.

I have a kennel and run and my rabbit spends 90% of his time out in the open run, in all weathers. As long as they have warmer/sheltered places within the set up to retreat to if they want, I wouldn't be too concerned.

It's also pretty normal for the bedroom of a hutch to be converted into a toilet I'm afraid. :lol::lol: Every bunny I've ever owned has always done the same. :roll:

thanks for your advice :)

They have always had access to the run in both hutches, which is why i thought it was unusual x

I think it's probably the weather. I personally think it's still on the nippy side but for bunnies with the built in insulation of a furry coat it's probably quite reasonable. I expect it's just the warmer weather has coincided with the new hutch.

The newness could be a factor too, it might not smell home like yet - you could try scattering dinner in it and that might encourage them to spend some extra time there :) It also sounds like a very spacious hutch so they might like something like a cardboard box inside to make a smaller snuggly space inside it - worth a try anyway :)

Back