• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits + Cats: your experiences and opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also feel it necessary to add that my partner and I were utterly disgusted at seeing a photo of a rabbit humping a cat and not one person has said it is wrong. I complained and got told the photo was fine?!

I actually would consider it, in my opinion as abuse towards the cat. Poor cat must be mentally scarred by being humped by a rabbit, and I'm not joking either!

If the photo was of a rabbit humping a rabbit, you would all have your reservations. Same as if it were another small furry animal. So why is it OK, or even funny or cute because it's a cat?!

I'm sorry but I'm disgusted and upset. I feel that I must leave the forum because of it. I will not associate with people who think a rabbit humping a cat is "funny" or "cute" or simply that there is nothing wrong with it!

Hang on a minute!!! you are obviously talking about my picture. You have NO CLUE about their relationship so do not comment. My cat and rabbit adored each other. I did not force the rabbit to hump the cat for Christ sake they just did it. Do you not think the cat would of moved away from the rabbit. For christ sake lighten up:evil:
Just read you are leaving grow up!!!!!!

sally 1974, your cat doesn't in any way look upset or violated by the situation. As Deena from the Jerseyshore says 'He's having a good time!':lol:

sally 1974, your cat doesn't in any way look upset or violated by the situation. As Deena from the Jerseyshore says 'He's having a good time!':lol:

Thank you, I am so angry that someone would think I would actually sit by while my cat was traumatised. They used to do it all the time, there relationship was magical they really did care for one another xxx

Hang on a minute!!! you are obviously talking about my picture. You have NO CLUE about their relationship so do not comment. My cat and rabbit adored each other. I did not force the rabbit to hump the cat for Christ sake they just did it. Do you not think the cat would of moved away from the rabbit. For christ sake lighten up:evil:
Just read you are leaving grow up!!!!!!

I found the photos cute and funny :D :love:

If rabbits and cats were meant to "live together" they would surely be found together in the wild.

Anyone that DOES have rabbits mixing with cats is just flipping lucky that nothing has gone wrong!

Cats play with claws and teeth, it's their way of training, like they would in the wild. (I am very surprised to read that one of you has trained ALL your cats otherwise, a pure miracle!)

You all seem to respect Ann McBride very much, but ignore the fact that she reports repeatedly that a "binky" is simply a bunny practising their escape route from predators. I once thought it meant a happy rabbit too, but Ann McBride strictly says it's a self defence move that bunnies practice throughout their lives.
Maybe bunnies "binkying" with kitties means they are practising the ability to escape, should kitty change his/her temperament.

This is something I feel strongly about. What about Feral cats, I bet they've had a bunny/hare or two for dinner! It probably wouldn't be unheard of.

I would NOT trust my "cats" (if I had four) in the same room as a rabbit just because I had read on the forum that it was "OK", simply because a few members have taken the risk and been VERY lucky.

Cats can scale 6 foot fences, I have seen them on my neighbour's shed roof! You could not make a bunny enclosure in a room, unless it was floor to ceiling high, that a cat could not get into. Unless you put a roof on it, but then your cats would sit on it. My buns (all 4) were petrified when the neighbours' cats used to sit on the roof of their run. (of course daily interaction COULD desensitise them)

When we had Sooty guinea pig on the side in the utility room, Oscar used to jump up and sit on her cage and shove his paw through the bars and claw at her in attempt to reach her. - a rabbit would have been bigger, therefore reachable, so he would have clawed it.

This forum is DEAD SET AGAINST Guinea pigs living with rabbits, how the heck can cats (with razor sharp teeth and claws) be more preferable?!

I had to go to hospital for a tetanus and was close to needing stitches in my tummy when my friend's cat (I was innocently asleep, whilst staying the night on her sofa) pounced on me and clawed my tummy while "playing", when I only moved a little bit to get comfortable. (my wound was mm away from needing stitches, the nurse said.)

You can also get cat scratch disease from the mouth or claws of a kitten under 6 months old and from adult cats if they have been near strays. (stray cats can attack your own cats if they are allowed out)

Some of the germs in a cat's mouth can also cause lockjaw. (tetanus)

http://www.drugs.com/cg/cat-scratch-or-bite.html

Another site on cat scratch disease
http://www.2ndchance.info/catscratch.htm

There are 101 and probably more, reasons why your rabbit should NOT live with a cat.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100615090440AAUAZ1G

According to this article, cats carry pasteurella on their teeth and claws too. I KNOW that's not good for a rabbit.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2009/2/Wild-Rabbit-Cat.htm

One last point. Single rabbits have been known to adopt a cuddly toy as a companion, so don't tell me that the rabbit chose the cat as a companion as a viable argument.

I think I have provided enough evidence to suggest that cats should NOT be a rabbit's companion and vice versa.

I shall stop there I think, before I get accused of being obsessed with the subject.

So I'll ask you outright then. Are you saying I should change my plans and NOT plan to get a pet bunny any more?

Oh that's the humping pic...I saw it earlier but thought they were just snuggling :lol:

I don't understand what's wrong with it. From the "mentally scarring" part I take it you're comparing humans "humping" humans against their will with animals.... but of course it's very different with animals. Animals don't feel violated for being humped :lol:

I haven't read the whole thread so I haven't seen that part, but I would imagine the cat is used to the rabbit and didn't mind. And it wouldn't be mentally scarring...I mean, it's not like animals think like humans. I don't know if the rabbits was humping for dominance reasons or mating reasons but it doesn't really matter either way.

Rabbits humping rabbits is perfectly normal, it's a dominance thing.

You have just confirmed my point.

"A cat likes to be boss, a cat will constantly say "I'm the boss" by marking it's humans and everything around the house. (they use the scent glands around their mouth and the ones on the back of their heads to mark everything that "belongs to them". A simple headbutt means "I love you")

A cat that is made to feel inferior to another animal, is not a happy cat."

"A cat likes to be boss, a cat will constantly say "I'm the boss" by marking it's humans and everything around the house. (they use the scent glands around their mouth and the ones on the back of their heads to mark everything that "belongs to them". A simple headbutt means "I love you")

i thought you were leaving!? :lol: ;)

Oh please you are being so dramatic, I will never have anyone tell me my cat suffered because of my rabbit I mean are you actually serious. If that was the cae then why did my cat follow me out to the rabbits hutch all the time and cuddle up with him. I am so angry with you I am shaking and anyway I thought you was leaving?????

But the cat and rabbit love each other. And not all cats are the same. Some are laid back, which Sally's cat obviously is.

I thought they marked their scent to say "this is mine"? I don't think they like to be the boss, mine probably know that humans are the boss, they're very obedient.

double post

I realise this is an emotive topic, but please let's not start getting personal.

There is an article I read recently, mainly to do with handling rabbits, but it briefly mentions binkying http://www.hoppingmad.org/E3/handling.htm

Rabbits fine tune their escape strategies when they are young, and will continue to do so as adults, although this may become less frequent as they get older. You will often see wild rabbits, and pairs or groups of domestic rabbits ‘playing’, which typically involves chasing, jumping, twisting, quickly changing direction as they hop at high speed. These movements are defensive ones, designed to out wit a predator on the ground, and to escape once caught or lifted. Even companion rabbits that live alone will usually still practice these skills in their formative months and younger years. It pays to keep these skills toned, after all your life might depend on it..Owners refer to these behaviours as a ‘Binky’ – the jumping twisting movement that seems to almost surprise the rabbit as much as it delights the owner, and the ‘Bunny 500’ – when the rabbit hops (runs) at great speed around its enclosure/room.

It mentions that rabbits can be seen 'playing' which I interpreted to be as William described - very similar to how cats will practice their hunting skills etc as a form of play.

I've seen that photo of Sally's cat and bunny before and the cat looks pretty relaxed to me, and Sally was also careful to mention that not all cats/bunnies would have the same sort of relationship.

People have differing opinions of whether cats and rabbits should mix and that's fine but please remember that others may not share your view and consider your tone when replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back