• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits Available at Windwhistle Warren

No, they have no shavings. It would be impossible for Alice to arrange for shavings to be disposed of and they have trouble enough with the newspapers and hay.

Every bun has a litterbox that is filled with several newspapers and then filled with hay.

This works well.

They are cleaned out every day and there are no hygene issues, I can assure you. Half of these buns are elated not to be walking around in months worth of filth like some of their previous homes! :( Poor things! :(

but its easy to get rid of shavings you take them to the tip and put them in garden recycle thats what i do with my 12+ sacks a week
are the litter boxes of hay for them to eat or sit in to keep warm or to use as a litter box ?

No, they have no shavings. It would be impossible for Alice to arrange for shavings to be disposed of and they have trouble enough with the newspapers and hay.

Every bun has a litterbox that is filled with several newspapers and then filled with hay.
This works well.

They are cleaned out every day and there are no hygene issues, I can assure you. Half of these buns are elated not to be walking around in months worth of filth like some of their previous homes! :( Poor things! :(

Same system as me & as you say - it works really well. Foster bun Bouncers loves to eat, sleep AND poop in his large litter box where as the rather posh Paw-Paw only toilets in hers and then retires elsewhere for her naps :roll::lol:

What a gorgeous collection of bunnies. Let's hope some great forever homes come along very soon :love:

but its easy to get rid of shavings you take them to the tip and put them in garden recycle thats what i do with my 12+ sacks a week
are the litter boxes of hay for them to eat or sit in to keep warm or to use as a litter box ?

From the other thread you have started on the use of newspapers in hutch, you will see that you are in the minority on the use of shavings. Most people do not use them.

Windwhistle uses hay as you have been told.

I dont know how I missed Juniper and Grace on our volunteer day. Frankie is yummy too.:love::love:

Angel is praying for a home before Snowy returns with her clippers:lol::lol:

I help out at the rescue on a weekly basis and have never seen a problem with hay and newspapers. However, I am aware of the respiratory problems that can arise from rabbits using shavings and sawdust. Alot of the rabbits at the rescue have two litter trays - one for poop and one for sleeping and eating.

I also have three of my own rabbits and only use newspapers, hay and megazorb (for litter trays) for them. My one rabbit is not allowed to have sawdust or shavings because it affects his breathing.

On a lighter note, I think this thread was about adopting the gorgeous bunnies not criticising their bedding and cage conditions. ;)

How many rabbits do you have??

Alice has 90 odd rabbits, and probably 20-30 guineas that she cleans out daily, can you imagine taking that much sawdust to the skip??

Anyway, I do not believe in using sawdust/ shavings. They are bad for their breathing.

I have an outdoor bun, and I treat her in the same way. She has paper sheets on the floor, cat litter in her litter tray (topped with hay), and shedded newspaper topped with lots of hay in her bedroom. She has no problem. I hate shavings. They are so messy.

How many rabbits do you have??

Alice has 90 odd rabbits, and probably 20-30 guineas that she cleans out daily, can you imagine taking that much sawdust to the skip??

Anyway, I do not believe in using sawdust/ shavings. They are bad for their breathing.

I have an outdoor bun, and I treat her in the same way. She has paper sheets on the floor, cat litter in her litter tray (topped with hay), and shedded newspaper topped with lots of hay in her bedroom. She has no problem. I hate shavings. They are so messy.

we have about 30 but have had over 50
and always used shavings, hay and straw and can have anything from12 bags to take to the tip people also take it for compost and allotments

BABIES :love::love::love: (not available yet)

DSC04004.jpg

DSC04002.jpg

DSC03998.jpg

DSC03994.jpg

I love the last trio of babies:love:

I love the last trio of babies:love:

Cute fluffy wuzzly babies :love: :love: Like cuddly teddy bears!!

I love the way that all the babies that are born at Alices (none planned litters, BTW.... the does arrive preggers :roll:) are always so human friendly and interested in people :love::love:

Back