• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with ADHD

Sometimes space and toys is a bit of an over simplication. For example, if you gave a child an empty warehouse they could run around a lot but it would get boring pretty quick. Rabbits don't run laps so if you don't give them reason to use the space then it's often wasted.

For example in the wild rabbits use space for grazing. Do you spread food out over the whole enclosure or does she just have to check her bowl - if so chuck out the bowl. They also often have different levels, they'll jump up or move around to get a better view of their environment. Provide different levels and change the view :)

Another thing rabbits use space for is chasing/interacting with other rabbits. Once neutered and paired up you'll find they use the space better. In the meantime move around her enclosure and 'play chase'.

Toys are very important but they can easily get boring. Rotate what toys she has. Clean them so they smell like they are new and invent new toys and games.

Direct the boredom behaviours into activities. Place her hay on top of the mesh so she reaches up to pull strands through to eat instead of pull at the mesh. Provide a digging box to dig in.... that sort of thing :)

Thank you SO much! I just phoned my vet and they said they're happy to snip Jynx but only after he's been assessed and they're happy his testicles have dropped.

I've booked the latter part of next week off so I can be there for Jessica (see, I DO love her really!) and have changed the admission to the vet for the day of surgery so Jessica isn't more stressed than she already is.

I just assumed that all vet's wouldn't neuter before 6 months of age, but since the last vet didn't tell me to keep Jack and Jessica apart for 5 weeks after his op :)roll:), that wasn't such a great assumption to make on my part.

Hopefully the proper bonding process can start happening soon after and I can watch Corrie in peace :lol:

Oh, I asked the vet and they do use isofluorane gas and invisible, dissolveable stitches :)

oh that sounds great :p I'm glad you've switched vets too - some are a liability as you've found :roll: Hope it goes well for your little girly :)

Sometimes space and toys is a bit of an over simplication. For example, if you gave a child an empty warehouse they could run around a lot but it would get boring pretty quick. Rabbits don't run laps so if you don't give them reason to use the space then it's often wasted.

For example in the wild rabbits use space for grazing. Do you spread food out over the whole enclosure or does she just have to check her bowl - if so chuck out the bowl. They also often have different levels, they'll jump up or move around to get a better view of their environment. Provide different levels and change the view :)

Another thing rabbits use space for is chasing/interacting with other rabbits. Once neutered and paired up you'll find they use the space better. In the meantime move around her enclosure and 'play chase'.

Toys are very important but they can easily get boring. Rotate what toys she has. Clean them so they smell like they are new and invent new toys and games.

Direct the boredom behaviours into activities. Place her hay on top of the mesh so she reaches up to pull strands through to eat instead of pull at the mesh. Provide a digging box to dig in.... that sort of thing :)

Thank you Tamsin, I knew I was making a rod for my own back when I was trying to catch her to stop her chasing Jack, so I'll leave the playing chase until she's forgotten about it :lol:

She just has the one dish her food goes into, but I'm going to the pet shop after work today to stock up on hay etc., so I'll see what other toys there are, more specifically, what toys I can hide food in for her to get out.

I'm going to be putting all 3 in the same hutch when the dust has settled and I'm definately going to go for the 3 tier hutch, which will give them the option of sleeping alone and provide different views for them.

Thank you for your input, I really do appreciate it :)

Back