• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit upset tummy

bellabinky

New Kit
I woke up today and there is a lot of diarrhoea in my rabbit hutch, the rabbits diet hasn’t changed and they been eating lots of hay, it concerns me because I have no idea what’s causing it, it’s no over feeding, they have the same nuggets that they always have in small quantities and mainly eat lots of fresh hay from bags I brought from the pet store. They are both eating hay as I type and we not given them anything different which is why I find this so concerning. there’s no vets open on Christmas Day in this little remote town, we get a lot of slugs, I’m wondering if they could have eaten one that entered their hutch? But there’s no slug trails, but they have spot on treatment which is up to date but I don’t know the cause

I'm sorry your rabbit is poorly. Is is true diarrhoea? As in puddles/liquid faeces? Or left behind caecos? If it's diarrhoea I'm afraid it is an emergency, if you call your usual vets number they must have out of hours cover. I've only had diarrhoea in one rabbit caused by inappropriate use of antibiotic, she needed fluids and supportive care immediately. Sadly she did pass away but this was because a toxic antibiotic was used, in your case hopefully with immediate treatment your rabbit can recover. How is your rabbit otherwise, ie eating, passing normal faeces as well or is it all loose?

I'm sorry your bunny is poorly :(

I would be very surprised if she has eaten a slug. I think also there will be an out of hours vets open somewhere in your area, perhaps the details are given on an answerphone for your normal vets.. Is it watery diarrhoea? Are you sure it isn't excess caecotrophs?

In the meantime, as long as she is otherwise behaving OK and eating well, I would restrict her to a hay only diet and observe her.

The poo is like a soft mass that’s Pooled together on top of the hay like it’s all stuck together, not the normal shape. They are eating just fine

I don’t think it’s excess caecotrophs There’s no normal pellet shaped poo, I guess it could be abnormal caecotrophs but I’m no expert

Actually having shone a torch on the poo I think excess caecotrophs because the photos of it online look the same as their poo, it has tiny currant in it and some gooey stuff mixed in with it

Is there mucus mixed in? Does their lower gut feel bloated or very gassy?
Gut bacteria can get out of balance which allows bad bacteria to flourish. Did they get anything different or in greater quantity in their diets? Fruits/grains? Could they be stressed by outside animals?

I’m so sorry your bunny’s been not well. I hope you managed to get to Vets. I read comments & sounds like trampled on cecotropes but can’t be sure. I’m not very experienced but I know diarrhoea is a medical emergency. Also excess cecotropes can be a sign of something going on xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back